OT: Moné softball Davis to play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Moné softball Davis to play

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There are a lot of differences between boys and girls basketball. To begin with the difference between the top teams and those that are lower in girls basketball is vast. That reflects the talent difference. I don't follow the boys game or their ratings, but I would assume from your reaction that a threes star rating means more than it does in the girls game. To give you an example of the talent differential between the top teams and those under them. I saw a game where the first quarter score was 51-0 and another where it was 49-0 Same team in different years. The teams they beat were Division 1 public schools. This would not be possible in a boys high school game because there is more parity.

This is because boys begin to play the game far earlier. They are playing pickup games from the moment they can dribble a basketball. Girls generally start much later although with the advent of college scholarships that is changing. Oregon St has a 6'7"freshman athletic center recruit who played three sports in high school in a weak league. She is a project who has a steep learning curve to cover at that major D1 program. They took her as a project because she is 6'7". If she were 5'7" they would not have even given her a look. Had she played AAU the transition would have been easier. Mo'ne did not play AAU. because she wanted to play soccer and baseball. Making that choice her chances of developing her potential were slim.

While my interest and involvement has decreased, I once followed high school girls basketball with a high degree of interest. I video taped games for schools and in my interactions I really got to know the effort that players put into the sport to succeed. I also got very good at recognizing how well players skills would transition from high school to the next level. Everything I heard or saw in respect to Mo'ne reflected that she needed to commit to basketball if she wished to play at a high level. My success in predicting players next levels has been pretty much on. I know what I am talking about and you obviously don't due to your question on how good a three star is in girls basketball. Lets just say there are far more 5'7" three star guards than will get offered. Better players than Mo'ni never get offered or ride the pine, especially with no consistent outside shot. Then when you add the circus and baggage she comes with------

I’ve reffed girls basketball for over a decade, so I totally get what you’re saying about the gap in talent. I’ve had my share of 42-7 football games break out on the court.

But specializing in one sport is rarely the best option. There is tons of literature about it. It’s not a new thing. It’s a harmful myth.

And it’s dissapontkng that espns rankings are such junk.

Reaction Score
Woe.... I'm not understanding this decision. From the article she turn down PENN for Hampton?
One should never turn down a chance at an Ivy League education; the likelihood of career success with an IL diploma versus 99% of other universities is exceptional. Good luck to her, but someone should have pointed her towards Penn.

While an Ivy League Education offers a ton of prestige, let's not deride one's chances of success with a HBCU degree. Black colleges produce 70 percent of all black dentists and doctors, 50 percent of black engineers and public school teachers, and 35 percent of black lawyers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While an Ivy League Education offers a ton of prestige, let's not deride one's chances of success with a HBCU degree. Black colleges produce 70 percent of all black dentists and doctors, 50 percent of black engineers and public school teachers, and 35 percent of black lawyers.

I know a few Hampton Alums..... quality school... Im sure they have no regrets with their decision to go to HU.

Reaction Score
It seemed like quality education was always a priority with Mo'ne's parents. That is why she stayed in the high school she was going to ( weak sports program but high academics ) instead of going to a basketball factory. Education really makes a lot of sense, because Mo'ne never realistically had a future in pro ball. Good for them. Her parents probably feel she would do better in a smaller school setting. Kind of like the high school she went to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom