OT: Moné softball Davis to play | The Boneyard

OT: Moné softball Davis to play

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was hoping Mone' dreams of playing at UConn would have come true. I wish Mone' the best wherever she may attend school.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well glad for the kid in that she will be able to go to college on a scholarship. Though I wont be rooting for Hampton in any sport.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
She wanted to get away from her home region?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Me too! Something does not compute.
Depends on a number of factors - perhaps Penn doesn't offer the program in communications. And certainly no athletic scholarships. So . . . I don't think it is a big deal.

Most of the schools listed are HBCU's. Many Rutgers fans were quite upset when a former player (might have been while she was a player) who was quite good answered a question about "where if not Rutgers" and replied an HBCU, she didn't know which one. It has an appeal to many folks.

Reaction Score
Contrary to many of the posters on this site's belief, Mo'ne's chances of ever getting a D1 scholarship in basketball were slim and none. Her chance of playing for Uconn would have required noting less than a miracle or some compromising pictures of Geno. :D She was too far behind in basketball skills development and the people around her were just blowing smoke her way. Fortunately for her she saw the reality of the situation and switched her direction towards softball.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I was hoping Mone' dreams of playing at UConn would have come true. I wish Mone' the best wherever she may attend school.

I just read that Mone' will be attending Hampton University for softball. I wish her the best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Depends on a number of factors - perhaps Penn doesn't offer the program in communications. And certainly no athletic scholarships. So . . . I don't think it is a big deal.
Most of the schools listed are HBCU's. Many Rutgers fans were quite upset when a former player (might have been while she was a player) who was quite good answered a question about "where if not Rutgers" and replied an HBCU, she didn't know which one. It has an appeal to many folks.
I certainly understand the appeal of HBCU but PENN offers one of the best and highest ranked communications programs. Your point about athletic scholarship is technically correct but not practically correct. Need based scholarship for the Ivy league provide the same practical benefit as athletic scholarships in the sense that athlete can graduate debt fee. "Need" can and is also be very very flexibly administered.
Undergraduate Program | Annenberg School for Communication

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Contrary to many of the posters on this site's belief, Mo'ne's chances of ever getting a D1 scholarship in basketball were slim and none. Her chance of playing for Uconn would have required noting less than a miracle or some compromising pictures of Geno. :D She was too far behind in basketball skills development and the people around her were just blowing smoke her way. Fortunately for her she saw the reality of the situation and switched her direction towards softball.

I admit I was one.”, but mostly just based on espn ranking her a 3 star 88 overall grade.

Reaction Score
I certainly understand the appeal of HBCU but PENN offers one of the best and highest ranked communications programs. Your point about athletic scholarship is technically correct but not practically correct. Need based scholarship for the Ivy league provide the same practical benefit as athletic scholarships in the sense that athlete can graduate debt fee. "Need" can and is also be very very flexibly administered.
Undergraduate Program | Annenberg School for Communication

That would be true if her parents don't have a fairly high combined income. But if they are doing well, then they might have to pay full freight at Penn, i.e. over $280,000 for four years.

There is a bit of flexibility in need, but not much. The Ivy League monitors that carefully to make sure they don't deviate from FAFSA.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How one views this scenario depends on one's point of view. Our point of view is certainly not hers or her parents. Since she could not live out her fantasy dreams of playing basketball for Geno at UConn, she had to resort to plan B. She had to try and cash in on her skills and celebrity on the baseball/softball field.

I don't think the possibility of winning a national championship in softball ever entered into the equation with respect to her choosing where to continue her education. Winning national championships are not important to most recruits in any sport. As UConn fans, NC's are foremost in our minds and way of thinking because of the success UConn has had during Geno's tenure. We're conditioned (spoiled) to think NC or bust every year including THIS one.

There is a world of difference between Penn and Hampton. It's possible that Mone' and her parents were completely happy with that difference. If a degree along with the social and academic contacts she will acquire while at Hampton University will help her achieve whatever goals or aspirations she has, then why not Hampton? This recent article may help to explain her motives for choosing Hampton:

For Mo’ne Davis, a Social Awakening and a Commitment to Hampton

She and her parents no doubt felt more comfortable during their campus visit at Hampton than at Penn. Isn't that one of the reasons many recruits give when explaining why they choose one school over another? "It felt like family there”. They made me fell wanted and appreciated. The thought behind choosing a program to join is "get in where you fit in.”

It appears that the Davis family was impressed with everything Hampton, to the point they wanted to become part of the family.

Congratulations to Mone and her family for choosing Hampton University to further her education. Best of luck and good fortune to you Mone'. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

the Q

Reaction Score
How one views this scenario depends on one's point of view. Our point of view is certainly not hers or her parents. Since she could not live out her fantasy dreams of playing basketball for Geno at UConn, she had to resort to plan B. She had to try and cash in on her skills and celebrity on the baseball/softball field.

I don't think the possibility of winning a national championship in softball ever entered into the equation with respect to her choosing where to continue her education. Winning national championships are not important to most recruits in any sport. As UConn fans, NC's are foremost in our minds and way of thinking because of the success UConn has had during Geno's tenure. We're conditioned (spoiled) to think NC or bust every year including THIS one.

There is a world of difference between Penn and Hampton. It's possible that Mone' and her parents were completely happy with that difference. If a degree along with the social contacts she will acquire while at
Hampton University will help her achieve whatever goals or aspirations in her adult life she has, then why not Hampton?

She and her parents no doubt felt more comfortable during their campus visit at Hampton than at Penn. Isn't that one of the reasons many recruits give when explaining why they choose one school over another? "It felt like family there. They made me fell wanted and appreciated." The thought behind choosing a program to join is "get in where you fit in.."

It appears that the Davis family was impressed with everything Hampton, to the point they wanted to become part of the family. Congratulations to Mone and her family for choosing Hampton University to further her education. Best of luck and good fortune to you Mone'. :cool:

Assuming her espn basketball recruiting rating is accurate, maybe she just likes softball better than hoops and if she couldn’t play for Geno she’s rather play that sport.

I don’t know.

But I know picking a college is a really really hard thing to do when you aren’t a D1 athlete. That’s just another layer of complexity on top do it.

She’ll be a cool story to follow now

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Assuming her espn basketball recruiting rating is accurate, maybe she just likes softball better than hoops and if she couldn’t play for Geno she’s rather play that sport.

I don’t know.

But I know picking a college is a really really hard thing to do when you aren’t a D1 athlete. That’s just another layer of complexity on top do it.

She’ll be a cool story to follow now

I can't begin to tell you how much Mone' Davis koolaid I drank during that summer. I've always wished and hoped the best for her since she burst upon the scene that summer. I never really thought she was D1 UConn level material. I figured this thing would work itself out, it did.

Reaction Score
I don’t know..

I can assure you that that was not the case with her. I followed her since the initial posts on this site about her desire to play for UConn. They did quite a few articles about her quest for a basketball career. When she was still attempting to get a basketball scholarship, her mother remarked that it was difficult because the teams she played for were not drawing the scouts. It was not that she wasn't trying she just got some really bad advice and made bad decisions because of them in respect to developing her skills. The most important being to focus on basketball exclusively and giving up playing soccer and baseball.

She is undoubtably a good athlete, however that is not enough anymore. The competition for D1 scholarships has really been upped. Especially if you are 5'7" guard. To even get a shot at a D1 school you have to have an our side shot. She had started working on that, but basically she just had good handles and a mid-range game. When you are in high school driving to the hoop and a mid-range game works against lesser competition. but at the next level you have to be able to knock down the three. Being tied as the 89th rated PG with 9 other players just is not going to get you too many offers. Especially if you are not used to the effort and practices that come with basketball. Softball is nothing close to the difficulty and grind of a high level basketball programs practices and fitness level.

Most people do not realize the commitment and effort girls have to put in to play high level high school basketball today. They have to play year round ( forget multiple sports ) and most also work with individual trainers. They also transfer to the top basketball programs for both exposure and higher level competition. The competition is fierce. If you are a tall athletic player D1 college programs might take you as a project, but not if you are 5'7" with a suspect outside shot. There are just too many other players with a better suited skill set to chose from. Neither she nor her parents or her Rec coach realized the level of commitment necessary until she tried out for an AAU team. It was then that reality hit and she decided that she had a better shot with softball. She had always been able to excel on her athletic abilities until then.

I suspect that she has been portrayed as the superstar athlete for so long that she might now be avoiding anything that would shake that image in her and other peoples eyes. Too much fame too early on does young people a great disservice. They often find the pressure to live up to their hype just to difficult. Some years ago they made a TV move about a QB who did not live up to the expectations of his father and ended up killing himself. I actually remember this kid and his father from my after school playground days. Really sad outcome to what seemed a good father son relationship at that time.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
One should never turn down a chance at an Ivy League education; the likelihood of career success with an IL diploma versus 99% of other universities is exceptional. Good luck to her, but someone should have pointed her towards Penn.

the Q

Reaction Score
I can assure you that that was not the case with her. I followed her since the initial posts on this site about her desire to play for UConn. They did quite a few articles about her quest for a basketball career. When she was still attempting to get a basketball scholarship, her mother remarked that it was difficult because the teams she played for were not drawing the scouts. It was not that she wasn't trying she just got some really bad advice and made bad decisions because of them in respect to developing her skills. The most important being to focus on basketball exclusively and giving up playing soccer and baseball.

She is undoubtably a good athlete, however that is not enough anymore. The competition for D1 scholarships has really been upped. Especially if you are 5'7" guard. To even get a shot at a D1 school you have to have an our side shot. She had started working on that, but basically she just had good handles and a mid-range game. When you are in high school driving to the hoop and a mid-range game works against lesser competition. but at the next level you have to be able to knock down the three. Being tied as the 89th rated PG with 9 other players just is not going to get you too many offers. Especially if you are not used to the effort and practices that come with basketball. Softball is nothing close to the difficulty and grind of a high level basketball programs practices and fitness level.

Most people do not realize the commitment and effort girls have to put in to play high level high school basketball today. They have to play year round ( forget multiple sports ) and most also work with individual trainers. They also transfer to the top basketball programs for both exposure and higher level competition. The competition is fierce. If you are a tall athletic player D1 college programs might take you as a project, but not if you are 5'7" with a suspect outside shot. There are just too many other players with a better suited skill set to chose from. Neither she nor her parents or her Rec coach realized the level of commitment necessary until she tried out for an AAU team. It was then that reality hit and she decided that she had a better shot with softball. She had always been able to excel on her athletic abilities until then.

I suspect that she has been portrayed as the superstar athlete for so long that she might now be avoiding anything that would shake that image in her and other peoples eyes. Too much fame too early on does young people a great disservice. They often find the pressure to live up to their hype just to difficult. Some years ago they made a TV move about a QB who did not live up to the expectations of his father and ended up killing himself. I actually remember this kid and his father from my after school playground days. Really sad outcome to what seemed a good father son relationship at that time.

The biggest myth in amateur sports is specialization.

I see it all the time with the commie plot otherwise known as soccer.

The reality is the best athletes usually play multiple sports. Even LeBron played high school football.

Players that play multiple sports are healthier, better athletes and less prone to burnout.

But based on what you wrote it sounds like calling Davis a 3 star basketball player was either overhyped or being a 3 star means a lot less than it does being a 3 star for a men’s recruit.

Reaction Score
But based on what you wrote it sounds like calling Davis a 3 star basketball player was either overhyped or being a 3 star means a lot less than it does being a 3 star for a men’s recruit.

ESPN's rankings for men are extremely inaccurate - and for women, they are far worse. They spend almost no time evaluating players.

Reaction Score
The biggest myth in amateur sports is specialization.

I see it all the time with the commie plot otherwise known as soccer.

The reality is the best athletes usually play multiple sports. Even LeBron played high school football.

Players that play multiple sports are healthier, better athletes and less prone to burnout.

There are a lot of differences between boys and girls basketball. To begin with the difference between the top teams and those that are lower in girls basketball is vast. That reflects the talent difference. I don't follow the boys game or their ratings, but I would assume from your reaction that a threes star rating means more than it does in the girls game. To give you an example of the talent differential between the top teams and those under them. I saw a game where the first quarter score was 51-0 and another where it was 49-0 Same team in different years. The teams they beat were Division 1 public schools. This would not be possible in a boys high school game because there is more parity.

This is because boys begin to play the game far earlier. They are playing pickup games from the moment they can dribble a basketball. Girls generally start much later although with the advent of college scholarships that is changing. Oregon St has a 6'7"freshman athletic center recruit who played three sports in high school in a weak league. She is a project who has a steep learning curve to cover at that major D1 program. They took her as a project because she is 6'7". If she were 5'7" they would not have even given her a look. Had she played AAU the transition would have been easier. Mo'ne did not play AAU. because she wanted to play soccer and baseball. Making that choice her chances of developing her potential were slim.

While my interest and involvement has decreased, I once followed high school girls basketball with a high degree of interest. I video taped games for schools and in my interactions I really got to know the effort that players put into the sport to succeed. I also got very good at recognizing how well players skills would transition from high school to the next level. Everything I heard or saw in respect to Mo'ne reflected that she needed to commit to basketball if she wished to play at a high level. My success in predicting players next levels has been pretty much on. I know what I am talking about and you obviously don't due to your question on how good a three star is in girls basketball. Lets just say there are far more 5'7" three star guards than will get offered. Better players than Mo'ni never get offered or ride the pine, especially with no consistent outside shot. Then when you add the circus and baggage she comes with------

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom