OT: Minnesota Gophers players boycott football; bowl game participation in jeopardy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Minnesota Gophers players boycott football; bowl game participation in jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
wow, I don't see this ending well. There is no way the school can back down. Bye bye bowl game.

Publicly, there is no way the school can back down publicly. In private, not a problem at all. President and AD meet with team leaders off-site and with no notes taken. Then they either:
A) Tell the Leaders why the suspensions were handed down (which is the main request of the players from administration)
B) Beg the players to play with the promise non of the players involved will face any further punishment from the university.

Option B carries the day. Word is leaked to ESPN that the team will play after hearing a passionate speech from the coach and pleas from the suspended players to play in their honor. Of course, none of that really takes place, but who would know the difference? Hell, some people still think the "jersey " scene in Rudy really happened.

Reaction Score
Publicly, there is no way the school can back down publicly. In private, not a problem at all. President and AD meet with team leaders off-site and with no notes taken. Then they either:
A) Tell the Leaders why the suspensions were handed down (which is the main request of the players from administration)
B) Beg the players to play with the promise non of the players involved will face any further punishment from the university.

Option B carries the day. Word is leaked to ESPN that the team will play after hearing a passionate speech from the coach and pleas from the suspended players to play in their honor. Of course, none of that really takes place, but who would know the difference? Hell, some people still think the "jersey " scene in Rudy really happened.

Options A & B are violations of federal statutes, however.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Read the article.

"The school discipline comes weeks after a criminal investigation resulted in no arrests or charges."

There was a video of the girl the morning of the incident in which alleged victim “appears lucid, alert, somewhat playful and fully conscious; she does not appear to be objecting to anything at this time,” [the police investigator] wrote in his report. After viewing two additional videos, he wrote “the sexual contact appears entirely consensual.”

It may be that they were suspended for some other student handbook violation and not the assault of this woman, but I understand why the guys would feel that their teammates were being victimized.

Reaction Score
Read the article.

"The school discipline comes weeks after a criminal investigation resulted in no arrests or charges."

There was a video of the girl the morning of the incident in which alleged victim “appears lucid, alert, somewhat playful and fully conscious; she does not appear to be objecting to anything at this time,” [the police investigator] wrote in his report. After viewing two additional videos, he wrote “the sexual contact appears entirely consensual.”

It may be that they were suspended for some other student handbook violation and not the assault of this woman, but I understand why the guys would feel that their teammates were being victimized.

She admitted to consenting with 2 of them.

Her complaint apparently is about the rest.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I support the players 100%

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She admitted to consenting with 2 of them.

Her complaint apparently is about the rest.
That's a different narrative than is described in the linked article. I feel like it is inappropriate to try parse what did or did not happen on the BY, so I won't but I understand where the players are coming from.

Reaction Score
5. At many universities, the student code of conduct forbids you from having sex with an intoxicated person (yes, this puts a different light on the college experiences of anyone over 30!)...

Not at the Ville! In fact, it's encouraged by several head coaches.

Reaction Score
....you think that matters?

Option B) would not violate FERPA, but even if it did...

Not FERPA. But the Clery Act. Some of this behavior is criminalized. Graham Spanier's case still hasn't been completed.

Reaction Score
That's a different narrative than is described in the linked article. I feel like it is inappropriate to try parse what did or did not happen on the BY, so I won't but I understand where the players are coming from.

There are plenty more in depth articles.

She consented with 2 players. Other players then became involved.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
There are plenty more in depth articles.

She consented with 2 players. Other players then became involved.
The video that was obtained, says otherwise. At the time, she was more than happy to accomidate the four. Hence the legal investigation was dropped.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The players are going to learn some valuable lessons in right to assemble, right to have grievances addressed and the right of the university to review scholarships each year. And all of those actions are interdependent.

The players position to the administration boils down to "Violate federal law or we ain't playing".

Reaction Score
Last spring there was a somewhat similar thing going on with the Minnesota men's basketball team where three of the teammates were benched(not sure about suspended) for posting a video in which at least two of them were having sex with a woman but all three were somehow involved. I assume one of the three was holding the camera. So less than a year later 10 members of the football team are involved in similar activities but this time complaints were filed. I can see why the University would want to send the message to it's athletes, "Knock it off! Your making the school look bad". If they don't then you open up a can of worms with the rest of the school population. Ugly situation for sure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn is ready, willing and able to step into Minnesota's shoes.

Say the word.

The absolute last thing this world needs is 3 UConn/Missouri games in three years. The last one tried to set the sport back 5 decades.

Reaction Score

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
And just like that they have stopped boycotting and they are going to play.

Reaction Score
And just like that they have stopped boycotting and they are going to play.

Life lessons learned...

Gophers players end boycott of football; preparing to play in bowl game

>>“As a team, we understand that what has occurred these past few days, and playing football for the University of Minnesota, is larger than just us. ...

“We now ask that you, the members of the media, our fans, and the general public hold all of us accountable for ensuring that our teammates are treated fairly, along with any and all victims of sexual assault. We also ask that the public dialogue related to the apparent lack of due process in a university system is openly discussed and evaluated.

“As football players, we know that we represent this University and this state and that we are held to a higher standard. We want to express our deepest gratitude to our coaching staff and so many others for their support during this difficult time, and we hope that our fans and community understand why we took the actions that we did.

“Our thoughts and prayers are for the well-being of the woman involved in the original incident, and for our 10 teammates to ensure that they are treated fairly. We look forward to representing the University of Minnesota and the state of Minnesota in the Holiday Bowl in a way that makes all of you proud.”<<

Reaction Score
The issue here is a good one. Because of Title IX, the NCAA, and the way the media jumps on these stories should they be "covered up" puts universities in a tough spot. Their response following and endless string of high profile cases is to throw the accusee players under the bus. Off the team, out of school (Yale) on solely the accusation by another student before any investigation by law enforcement.

Quite frankly, it's wrong. Schools desprate to avoid being labeled as a place where high levels of crime occur do everything they can to avoid police involvement. In the past this meant covering it up. Now that Title IX is being misused to hit them over the head the reaction has been to remove the accused before any investigation occurs and even falsifying evidence when one does occur.

What they should do is not get involved at all if there is a complaint that a crime has been committed and let the police handle it.

The Rolling Stone backlash was all about this. UM is thinking we don't want to be accused of behaving like Baylor.

If 10 players were involved in a sexual assault it should come though as true or not rather quickly. Once the corrupt DA in the Duke case was out of the picture, that case collapsed immediately.

Good for the players for defending due process regardless of the outcome of the case.
This. Title 9 has taken away any semblance of due process for the accused. Now it's guilty until proven innocent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom