OT: Mich St. Trustee "This Nassar Thing" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mich St. Trustee "This Nassar Thing"

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes, states vary. I’m in Illinois, where for the most part, he could be challenged only if he had obtained his annuity illegally.
And I take it that if you know something like this was going on for years and DIDN'T do anything about it, that in IL it wouldn't be considered illegally, just incompetence.

Reaction Score
I haven't spoken on the BY about this because it's just been too emotional for me. I haven't read the above listed article, but this is just a tip of the iceberg.

This whole affair isn't simply an indictment of MSU, a university that clearly didn't even bother to follow the minimum of statutory procedure. That did its best to minimize the effects, results, feelings and abuse dished out by this monster. This monster whose abuse is the worst in recorded US history. This is also an indictment on the USOC which must have gotten wind of this any number of times over the 25 years of criminally abusive behavior against young baby girls, by this man whose name I will never speak, and chose not to do their due diligence. This is an indictment against some (clearly not all) parents who also must have heard something from their baby girls and also chose to do nothing. This is also an indictment on the media who also must have heard something about the abuse by this worthless turd and chose to do nothing. This is also an indictment against a clearly growing sector of society. A sector that is encouraging a culture that minimizes the voices of abuse against women simply because it inconveniently displaces their adoration for a person or movement.

Let us embrace this name: Rachael Denhollander. The first woman to speak out, and the last woman to read her statement before Judge Aquilina. Rachael Denhollander. One of 169 women whose voices were finally heard. Good on you Rachael, who during her speech asked the question "How much is a little girl worth?" That's an easy answer for me.

Everything.

I will say, from my own personal experience, that not all of these baby girls know how to speak up and let their parents know that something is wrong. Otherwise - excellent post.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I will say, from my own personal experience, that not all of these baby girls know how to speak up and let their parents know that something is wrong. Otherwise - excellent post.
As I said SOME of them out of the 169 (and it was probably more) had to have said something.

Reaction Score
As I said SOME of them out of the 169 (and it was probably more) had to have said something.
I'm not arguing - or questioning you at all. I completely agree w/you. But it is really hard for young people to know what to do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They did. One truly tragic story involved a young Michigan gymnast who was abused by Nasser in her home. She told her parents who subsequently confronted Nasser. Nasser convinced the girls parents that she was making it all up. Years later, when it became apparent that Nasser had in fact abused their daughter, the father ended up taking his own life.

Reaction Score
They did. One truly tragic story involved a young Michigan gymnast who was abused by Nasser in her home. She told her parents who subsequently confronted Nasser. Nasser convinced the girls parents that she was making it all up. Years later, when it became apparent that Nasser had in fact abused their daughter, the father ended up taking his own life.

Oh Lord that is so horrible. What a tragedy.

Reaction Score

Look - I had wonderful parents - a tiger for a mother. But the shame is overwhelming, and you think it is your fault. It's a difficult situation for sure..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oh Lord that is so horrible. What a tragedy.
The girl’s name was Kyle Stephens. She was 6 years old when Nassar abused her. I was wrong about one point. She was not a gymnast, but a neighbor of Nassar.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

One of the articles this past week reported that in 2014 Nasser's medical superior at MS placed a directive in his file that he was to have a nurse present whenever he was with a female patient. What do you suppose that was based on? Well, supposedly no one else was told about this directive or requirement and it was never followed. The compounded tragedies wrought by complicit cowardice.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Horrible. It's shameful that the legacy of creatures like this turd is years of suffering and tragedy for so many.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing - or questioning you at all. I completely agree w/you. But it is really hard for young people to know what to do.
Yeah. No, I get it, and shame on me for coloring my answer with even a tinge of defensiveness. You're one of the many good ones here.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One of the articles this past week reported that in 2014 Nasser's medical superior at MS placed a directive in his file that he was to have a nurse present whenever he was with a female patient. What do you suppose that was based on? Well, supposedly no one else was told about this directive or requirement and it was never followed. The compounded tragedies wrought by complicit cowardice.
That is some administrator covering his or her rear end, but not going to the top to expose it.

Reaction Score
Yeah. No, I get it, and shame on me for coloring my answer with even a tinge of defensiveness. You're one of the many good ones here.
Thank you. I like you too
:)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And I take it that if you know something like this was going on for years and DIDN'T do anything about it, that in IL it wouldn't be considered illegally, just incompetence.

Probably so. To protect pensioners (like me) from losing the money I poured into the retirement system, the people approved a clause in the state’s constitution that prohibits politicians from robbing, reducing, sequestering, or filching the pension funds. This clause would seem to broadly protect even those former state employees whose judgment was shown to be poor. It may be - I’d have to look it up - that a politician who is impeached can lose that part of their pension that was “earned” while in office. Not sure about that.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, no. Emmert and the NCAA never fail to amaze me with their incompetence. While MSU could be slapped with sanctions for “lack of institutional control,” the same could be charged against the NCAA.

Given the legal issues in play, the NCAA should wait until some or all of the courtroom smoke has cleared before taking any action.

My .02

Reaction Score
This situation is a horror for all the victims and their families. Unfortunately this has and is still going on in many other situations and institutions in colleges, schools and elsewhere and has for a very long time. We know of the Catholic Church, Penn State university, this and many other places where they are still either covering it up or making excuses. There's no way Joe Paterno (one of the legends of football) didn't know of at least some of it. The Pope, who has been truly amazing in so many areas and instances, still has and allows both pedophiles and leaders of the church who knew of their scandal to remain in their powerful positions, and then often at best transferred the pedophile priest to another parish. The power and money attached to these situations make for it repeating itself again and again. When we look at our role models some of them (and I won't mention names) leave a great deal to be desired around protecting innocent boys, girls and also adults.
One has to be incredibly strong to fight back to get it stopped and then obtain justice for what occurred.
While I do agree that even the perception of inappropriate behavior should be in all of our minds, I don't agree that part of the answer is every time as stated previously that one should have another adult or female in the room. We need to root out each and every instance of this behavior but eliminating privacy and personal sensitivities out of perception or self protection takes us down a very slippery slope. The analogy that comes to mind is the tragedy of 9/11. So many decisions and actions followed that horrific day and time, probably making us minimally safer but took away some of our freedoms and then that become accepted norms.
Each and every one of us needs to be vigilant, keep our eyes, ears and minds open to how much and often this goes on and to never sit quietly by as it does.
I've lived this earlier in my professional life and did what was needed and required, and yet the outcome was so far from a good one for the victim. Our systems are seriously flawed and until that also is changed, we may just be applying band aids.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom