OT Melo is a loser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Melo is a loser

Reaction Score
Carmelo Anthony SUCKS. The problem is at some point someone told HIM he was a superstar and he believed it. If you are not hungry I don't care how talented you are, you will never be great or make the sacrifices required to make others great. If he makes the hall of fame the nba will need to take a long look at why. Consider this, what is a decent scorer plays on a crap team for a decade and scores 33 points per game shooting 35% per game does he deserve the HOF? he scored a TON!

Reaction Score
Carmelo Anthony SUCKS. The problem is at some point someone told HIM he was a superstar and he believed it. If you are not hungry I don't care how talented you are, you will never be great or make the sacrifices required to make others great. If he makes the hall of fame the nba will need to take a long look at why. Consider this, what is a decent scorer plays on a crap team for a decade and scores 33 points per game shooting 35% per game does he deserve the HOF? he scored a TON!

He will definitely get into the HOF due to his scoring average and popularity does help, the standards aren't high for the basketball HOF, if Walt Bellamy is in the HOF then Melo will get in.

Reaction Score
Carmelo is in his 15th season in the NBA.

He's topped an 110 ORtg in 2 of those 15 years.

For perspective, Isaiah Thomas is a fringe-star now for 1.5 years. His lowest ORtg in his 6 year career has been 113.

Carmelo's defense is always criticized (fairly, as he's never had a positive DBPM), but the truth is that he's never been that dominant on offense. He gives you volume, not efficiency. It would be one thing if he never played with good players, but he has made other "star" teammates worse rather than becoming more efficient.

A warning to Celtics fans: Cousins is very inefficient too. If he had a smaller role and forced less shots and turnovers, he could be great. Would he be willing to do so? Who knows. I would be very nervous about selling the farm for him.

Reaction Score
It's also not fair to judge Melo as harshly when he's never been in anywhere near as good a team situation as Lebron

That is true for the second half of their careers. Melo had much more talent around him during the first half of their careers. Melo isn't a franchise player. He will have a good career and wind up in Springfield one day. Very few teams win the NBA Title. I think he will get one as a 6th or 7th man on someone else's team one day. No team will ever win with Melo as their best player, but he may be an important bench player for a team in the not too distant future.

Reaction Score
I'm having a tough time seeing Melo carrying that '07 Cavs team to the Finals.

And I think the answer to your question is zero. Carmelo would have zero rings.

On a scale of 1 to getting kicked out of a basketball game, how drunk were you when you typed this? Am I supposed to be impressed that LeBron beat an old Pistons team that didn't have any real stars to begin with, or am I supposed to think that Melo wouldn't have won a title playing with some mix of Wade/Bosh/Kyrie/Love for 6 straight years? The best guy Melo has ever played with was either an old Iverson, old Billups, or baby Porzingis.

Reaction Score
Whats not fair is comparing Melo to Lebron.

Exactly. He's obviously never been as good as LeBron, but he's also never been in anywhere near as good of a team situation as LeBron. Melo was a top 6-8 player in the league for a long time, he just never had any help.

Reaction Score
Why do posters come back under different screennames and post just as stupid as they did under the old one? We know who you are, you're not fooling anyone.

I'm obviously not trying to fool anyone. Either way, there's like 12 people who still post here, this place could use the activity and anyone giving a damn about UConn and basketball in general.

Reaction Score
Your right and in both those times he had floor generals in Chauncey Billups and a 40 year old Jason Kidd. When he did it with the Knicks it was against an aging Celtics team without Rondo, the Knicks had a chance to wrap up that series in a sweep and Melo had a chance to wrap it up for the Knicks but missed both fts he makes one the Knicks more then likely sweep that series.

Compare the cumulative accolades of his teammates to who LeBron has played with over the course of their careers. Melo has never had an in-their-prime star, and even LeBron has never won without having other studs in their prime alongside. Look back at the last 30-40 years of NBA champions and you'll see that 95% of those teams had at least 2 studs, or 100% if sorting for 1 stud + an ATG coach, which is another thing Melo has never had (college included, obviously).

Reaction Score
Compare the cumulative accolades of his teammates to who LeBron has played with over the course of their careers. Melo has never had an in-their-prime star, and even LeBron has never won without having other studs in their prime alongside. Look back at the last 30-40 years of NBA champions and you'll see that 95% of those teams had at least 2 studs, or 100% if sorting for 1 stud + an ATG coach, which is another thing Melo has never had (college included, obviously).

No one player has won a title by themselves, Lebron did get to 2 NBA Finals by himself pretty much in 07 and 15. Lebron won championships with 2 young unproven coaches, he never won it with a Phil Jackson or a Pat Riley. Ill put titles aside for a second the last time was 2012-13 season like I said he had a coach on the floor in a 40 year old Jason Kidd who hit clutch shots for that team, Lebron doesn't need a floor general with him because he is a floor general. Lebron won a title with JR Smith, Melo didnt, and he won with Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving who never made the playoffs before. Switch Melo with Lebron and you tell me he would win 1 title let alone 3.

Reaction Score
No one player has won a title by themselves, Lebron did get to 2 NBA Finals by himself pretty much in 07 and 15. Lebron won championships with 2 young unproven coaches, he never won it with a Phil Jackson or a Pat Riley. Ill put titles aside for a second the last time was 2012-13 season like I said he had a coach on the floor in a 40 year old Jason Kidd who hit clutch shots for that team, Lebron doesn't need a floor general with him because he is a floor general. Lebron won a title with JR Smith, Melo didnt, and he won with Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving who never made the playoffs before. Switch Melo with Lebron and you tell me he would win 1 title let alone 3.

LeBron wasn't by himself in 2015, Kyrie didn't get hurt until the finals. Lebron also did win 2 titles with Pat Riley prominently involved. Lebron won a title with JR Smith because he had Kyrie and Love as his all star running mates, Melo has never had anything close to that, and Kyrie/Love were never in good situations before playing with each other.

I guess it's like superjohn said, no use arguing with a crazy person.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Exactly. He's obviously never been as good as LeBron, but he's also never been in anywhere near as good of a team situation as LeBron. Melo was a top 6-8 player in the league for a long time, he just never had any help.
Melo is no LeBron. Even if LeBron played on all those crappy Knicks teams he would have been making the numbers he is accustomed to. LeBron is much more athletic and versitile than Melo.
However, I do agree that Melo has never had the luxury of playing with the surrounding cast as LeBron has. No one player, not LeBron, not Kareem, not Magic, not Bird and not even MJ can lead their team, single handily, to a championship. All these players had great teammates to compliment them.

Reaction Score
LeBron wasn't by himself in 2015, Kyrie didn't get hurt until the finals. Lebron also did win 2 titles with Pat Riley prominently involved. Lebron won a title with JR Smith because he had Kyrie and Love as his all star running mates, Melo has never had anything close to that, and Kyrie/Love were never in good situations before playing with each other.

I guess it's like superjohn said, no use arguing with a crazy person.

Wouldn't a good include playing with Lebron. How about Lebron coming back from a a 3-1 series deficit in the Finals against a 73 win team including 2 wins in GS, leading the Finals in Pts, Reb, and assists, would Melo do that.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't a good include playing with Lebron. How about Lebron coming back from a a 3-1 series deficit in the Finals against a 73 win team including 2 wins in GS, leading the Finals in Pts, Reb, and assists, would Melo do that.

I wasn't comparing Melo to LeBron, I was pointing out that calling Melo a loser is harsh when even LeBron needs other stars around him in order to win titles, which is something Melo has never had. Melo is more a case of bad luck (like this entire season has been for UConn) as opposed to failing to meet expectations with any good teams.

Reaction Score
I wasn't comparing Melo to LeBron, I was pointing out that calling Melo a loser is harsh when even LeBron needs other stars around him in order to win titles, which is something Melo has never had. Melo is more a case of bad luck (like this entire season has been for UConn) as opposed to failing to meet expectations with any good teams.

I want Melo to win obviously, and yeah me calling Melo a loser was harsh, but the thread title did help to get posters to respond to the thread. Just put a title aside for a second Lebron could put just about any team from the East into the Finals he's that good. Yeah he couldn't do it all himself to win it all neither could MJ, Magic, Russell, etc. He also makes players around him better Melo does not. The clock is ticking on Melo he's 32 you can't keep making excuses for him, Patrick Ewing never won a title but his teams were always competitive year in year out and always made the Bulls earn it.

Reaction Score
Lebron couldn't shoot because of his rings. Carmelo, he of the 0-3 record against UCONN, doesn't have that excuse. :)

The year he won the title... seriously your 4-1 is a trump card v cuse but melos 1-0 is his against you... and this post

Reaction Score
I want Melo to win obviously, and yeah me calling Melo a loser was harsh, but the thread title did help to get posters to respond to the thread. Just put a title aside for a second Lebron could put just about any team from the East into the Finals he's that good. Yeah he couldn't do it all himself to win it all neither could MJ, Magic, Russell, etc. He also makes players around him better Melo does not. The clock is ticking on Melo he's 32 you can't keep making excuses for him, Patrick Ewing never won a title but his teams were always competitive year in year out and always made the Bulls earn it.

Can't expect Melo to do what LeBron is capable of. If that were the case this thread never would have been made. Melo's teams were competitive in the west for a good stretch of time back when you needed to win 50 just to get into the playoffs. He made a lot of those Denver teammates look good, and he's always had a good reputation on the Olympic rosters where he's always been one of the few guys that have been guaranteed a spot. His championship window is probably closed though unless he goes to a better spot, Dubs and Cavs are way too loaded for the next few years, and by then Melo will be in his mid 30s and winding his career down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom