OT Melo is a loser | The Boneyard

OT Melo is a loser

Reaction Score
Im a Knicks fan and would love to be proven wrong (I doubt it though), but how many excuses can you make for the guy I'm not even talking about a title, when is the last time his team was in the playoffs in the Eastern conference the 2012-13 season was the last time and he had a 40 year old Jason Kidd telling him how to run an offense. Melo is just lazy and doesn't even seem bothered by losing. I guess Phil thinks he can change Melo but I dont see it, the Knicks have actually looked somewhat promising Porzingis looks like the real deal (he need to be the go to guy), Melo just doesn't have it forget a title, at least Stockton and Malone, Reggie Miller, Ewing, Barkley etc would put forth a valiant effort to win. Melo went 3-15 with 8 pts against the Suns in a loss which he was the main reason why they lost and those stats dont even tell the story, Hornacek runs an exciting offense, Melo comes into the game and its as if everyone just freezes and watches Melo run his iso offense. Oh yeah did I mention he went to Cuse that would explain him being a loser ;).

Reaction Score
A lot of these same things were said about Paul Pierce at one time. I'm not a huge fan of him as a player, but I think branding him as a loser is a bit harsh.

If Melo swapped places with somebody like Kyrie Irving, I wonder how perspectives change. Irving is the better player now, and they're not really that comparable in general, but the pretense - both guys who need the ball a lot, excel in iso situations, struggle to guard, and don't necessarily make their teammates better - is similar. Time and place is everything in that league, but honestly, it might not matter anymore because Melo isn't the same guy he used to be. I used to hold my breath until K took him off the court in the olympics.

Reaction Score
What's the point of this post? That a past-his-prime Melo had a bad shooting night in a random mid-December game against the Suns? Where was the post a couple weeks ago when LeBron had a terrible game in Milwaukee?

Reaction Score
What's the point of this post? That a past-his-prime Melo had a bad shooting night in a random mid-December game against the Suns? Where was the post a couple weeks ago when LeBron had a terrible game in Milwaukee?

I went too far by using the word loser, but the thread title does help to get posters to respond, and I wasn't trying to overreact to one game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Lebron couldn't shoot because of his rings. Carmelo, he of the 0-3 record against UCONN, doesn't have that excuse. :)

Reaction Score
In terms of his NBA career, that Syracuse championship had a negative impact on Melo. He had already got his team 'ring' and his priority became 'me'. Combo of $ based decisions and selfish style of play ever since.

Reaction Score

Your really not gonna compare Lebron to Melo are you. Cleveland can afford a loss here and there, its the Suns they suck you gotta win that game especially since you have to play GSW on Thursday, things can turn quickly.

Reaction Score
Be lucky you got KP at #4. C's got Jaylen Brown with #3 the next year. KP may be a superstar in a couple years, and Brown is a great athlete who has zero basketball skills. Terrible pick when you have Crowder and need shooting, either Murray or Hield.

But he'll likely be moved in some deal maybe for Noel or even better, Boogie.

Also, funny the 2017 NBADraft.net shows the C's taking another PG with Nets pick

Then they can officially start IT, Smart, Rozier and Jackson together

Reaction Score
Lebron couldn't shoot because of his rings. Carmelo, he of the 0-3 record against UCONN, doesn't have that excuse. :)

Wonder how many rings each guy would have if you let Melo swap places with Lebron and play out the last 7 years. Porzingis might already be the best guy Melo has ever played with, and LeBron's been playing on stacked teams for the better part of a decade.

Reaction Score
Your really not gonna compare Lebron to Melo are you. Cleveland can afford a loss here and there, its the Suns they suck you gotta win that game especially since you have to play GSW on Thursday, things can turn quickly.

It's also not fair to judge Melo as harshly when he's never been in anywhere near as good a team situation as Lebron

Reaction Score
It's harsh to call Carmelo a loser, but he certainly isn't a winner. Winners make those around them better.

Who has LeBron made better in Miami and with his 2nd stint with Cleveland? He already had 2 all star sidekicks on both teams.

Reaction Score
It's also not fair to judge Melo as harshly when he's never been in anywhere near as good a team situation as Lebron

I'm having a tough time seeing Melo carrying that '07 Cavs team to the Finals.

And I think the answer to your question is zero. Carmelo would have zero rings.

Reaction Score
Why do posters come back under different screennames and post just as stupid as they did under the old one? We know who you are, you're not fooling anyone.

Reaction Score
Melo is just past his prime and hasnt adjusted his game accordingly yet. Its frustrating to watch as a Knicks fan especially. He went up for a dunk and Devin Booker completely stuffed him and he sits on the floor looking like how could this have happened? He still doesnt realize that he doesnt have the same ability he used to, he's a lesser version of himself. He either needs to know his role and play within the Knicks system or be traded to a team that has a clearly more dominant player that he has to play well with. Like someone mentioned if you sent him to the Cavs he would look good with Lebron. He definitely needs to do a better job of recognizing when his shot is off and differ a little more on those nights though.

Reaction Score
When Porzingis is on like he was last night, he's exciting to watch. His speed, agility, and athleticism, plus shooting ability for a guy 7'3" is astonishing. He's not the best player Melo has played with (Iverson - a HOF-er), but possibly the most unique and dynamic with a ton of potential.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He's not a loser but for a guy who averages 20+ and 5 reb+ for 14 years, he has not accomplished much. He's only made it past the first round of the playoffs twice IIRC. His box score +/- is not great, especially for someone with his stats. It all pretty much points to a very good individual player who rarely makes his team better.

Reaction Score
Knicks fan here - Melo, even when he was in DEN, is one of the better tests for basketball fans' IQ and understanding of the game IMO. Guy is the epitome of fool's gold in terms of an NBA player. For all the sporadic highlight-reel plays, big scoring numbers and on-fire games he'll give you where he looks like the best player (or scorer, at least) on the planet, he'll give you a stretch of poor and/or stupid basketball.

The next time he makes a proper/timely rotation on defense will be the first time. He constantly doesn't hustle back on D when he turns it over or doesn't get a foul call he's expecting. He's a me-first chucker who belongs in the 90s or early 2000s. His leadership skills leave a lot to be desired. Firing up fadeaway airballs over a double-team in crunch time vs PHX, ugh. Forcing a contested deep 2 from the wing while Porzingis is wide open at the top of the key. I will be happy when he's gone from the Knicks.

And his new Footlocker commercial is embarrassing. Mocking something doesn't mean it isn't true. Clearly the criticism gets to him.

Reaction Score
He's not a loser but for a guy who averages 20+ and 5 reb+ for 14 years, he has not accomplished much. He's only made it past the first round of the playoffs twice IIRC. His box score +/- is not great, especially for someone with his stats. It all pretty much points to a very good individual player who rarely makes his team better.

Your right and in both those times he had floor generals in Chauncey Billups and a 40 year old Jason Kidd. When he did it with the Knicks it was against an aging Celtics team without Rondo, the Knicks had a chance to wrap up that series in a sweep and Melo had a chance to wrap it up for the Knicks but missed both fts he makes one the Knicks more then likely sweep that series.

Reaction Score

God forbid they didn't go undefeated on a west coast trip

Reaction Score
Just for the record, he only lost to UConn twice. And as I might have mentioned before, his team never had a lead against UConn.

I'm sure that keeps him up at night.

There are PLENTY of real ways we can make fun of Cuse and their players. No need to fabricate fake ones

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom