Ot: Maryland President Wallace Loh: "UNC should get the death penalty" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ot: Maryland President Wallace Loh: "UNC should get the death penalty"

Reaction Score
Very curious how ... Raleigh's The News & Observer ... continues to lead this charge. Long after they might tone down their coverage, they simply chew a little more on it. This is evidence of some long simmering view held by those that own or manage the paper. And, they are correct this time. This is a steaming pile of manure for a University. Unfreakingbelievable that it went on for that long. And to defend this Department now - by a University official - is even more galling.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They should get the death penalty, but we know they won't.
I would be happy if they lost four scholarships and then only gain 1 back each ensuing year.
Then a postseason ban for the next 2 or 3 years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Where? On sports boards? In real life, the overwhelming reaction I've seen from UNC grads is anger and humiliation that the academic reputation of their university -- and thus to a degree them -- has been tarnished by someone(s) making a decision that they needed an athletic advantage and that was worth damaging one of the best flagship universities in the country.

It is quite possible that Loh's comment was not a throwaway made ad how. It may be a statement that the non-ACC P5 members see no reason to damage all of college athletics to protect this one school.

We shall see.

I've found that the non-hardo-sports-fan UNC grads are pretty annoyed that people have degrees the 'equivalent' of their's for which they didn't even have to attend class. It sucks to have busted your balls for something, and someone else gets the same thing without even trying. Also, it devalues their degree in the marketplace, even if only a little.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nice to see the story isn't dead.

Reaction Score
Except that college athletics in general at least at the D1 level is a steaming pile. Everyone is lawyered up. A mess.

Reaction Score

Wow, This could be our ticket to the ACC :D

First, the tweet is wrong. The bill would require UNC and State to withdraw from the ACC if the ACC -- not the NCAA -- bans competitions in North Carolina.

Second, if two teams withdraw, I'm not sure that opens up room for anyone.

Third, if the two teams that withdraw are from Tobacco Road, my fear would be that the conference would take a more "we need football" direction and not care so much about hoops.

But other than that, yes, let's root for this!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First, the tweet is wrong. The bill would require UNC and State to withdraw from the ACC if the ACC -- not the NCAA -- bans competitions in North Carolina.

Second, if two teams withdraw, I'm not sure that opens up room for anyone.

Third, if the two teams that withdraw are from Tobacco Road, my fear would be that the conference would take a more "we need football" direction and not care so much about hoops.

But other than that, yes, let's root for this!
That's what you said, but what I heard was
Blah, blah, bah - blah
Buh blah, blah
Let's root for this.

[Full disclosure: At this point I'll root for anything that moves us incrementally closer to burning down the whole P5 structure.]

Reaction Score
Very curious how ... Raleigh's The News & Observer ... continues to lead this charge. Long after they might tone down their coverage, they simply chew a little more on it. This is evidence of some long simmering view held by those that own or manage the paper. And, they are correct this time. This is a steaming pile of manure for a University. Unfreakingbelievable that it went on for that long. And to defend this Department now - by a University official - is even more galling.
The N & O is a pro NC State paper. Very few Chapel Hill articles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom