OT: Maryland completes Jordan McNair investigation but hasn't told family results (Updated > Durkin Fired) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Maryland completes Jordan McNair investigation but hasn't told family results (Updated > Durkin Fired)

Reaction Score
Yes, the system has major issues. But, using the system-wide issues as an excuse to forgive the man most responsible for the staff and culture at U Maryland's football program is wrong. Its the same excuse that Pitino has been using at Louisville; but, at least no one has died playing basketball for him. Durkin knew what was going on. He knew what Court was doing. A 19 year old kid playing died because of the U Maryland football program that Durkin built and lead put tougness over safety and wining over everything. And clearly, that attitude came from the top where the U Maryland Board only see dollar signs with student atheltes seen as resources and not people. Its criminal negligence (he's a trained professional after all) and just wrong.

I think it's fair to see that Durkin was reckless in the way he attempted to impose his culture on the players. I don't think it's fair to say that he ever envisioned that this could happen, nor do I think his outlook will be the same from this point forward. People are stubborn. It shouldn't take something like this to get them to change, but it does. He didn't come up with these beliefs on his own. His relationship with Court was the same as Loh's relationship with him: do what you need to do to get results, but don't let me see it.

It's funny you mention Pitino because I've also been a defender of his. He was a basketball coach just like Durkin is a football coach. To some extent, they're responsible for what happens within their own programs. Nobody's going to feel especially bad for them when they're raking in millions per year to scream at unpaid student-athletes.
But they don't deserve this level of public backlash. They are, again, coaches. They're not social workers, or administrators, or CEOs. When something goes terribly awry off the playing surface, we need to look less at them and more at the system, because the system doesn't just encourage this, it demands it. Nobody's inking a lucrative extension because their players like them. Being a self-absorbed maniac is part of the job description; we can't pick and choose when we're OK with that and then be surprised when nothing ever really changes.

Reaction Score
How on earth does anyone at Maryland keep their jobs? Good luck convincing any kids to play for that scumbag.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to see that Durkin was reckless in the way he attempted to impose his culture on the players. I don't think it's fair to say that he ever envisioned that this could happen, nor do I think his outlook will be the same from this point forward. People are stubborn. It shouldn't take something like this to get them to change, but it does. He didn't come up with these beliefs on his own. His relationship with Court was the same as Loh's relationship with him: do what you need to do to get results, but don't let me see it.

It's funny you mention Pitino because I've also been a defender of his. He was a basketball coach just like Durkin is a football coach. To some extent, they're responsible for what happens within their own programs. Nobody's going to feel especially bad for them when they're raking in millions per year to scream at unpaid student-athletes.
But they don't deserve this level of public backlash. They are, again, coaches. They're not social workers, or administrators, or CEOs. When something goes terribly awry off the playing surface, we need to look less at them and more at the system, because the system doesn't just encourage this, it demands it. Nobody's inking a lucrative extension because their players like them. Being a self-absorbed maniac is part of the job description; we can't pick and choose when we're OK with that and then be surprised when nothing ever really changes.

Sorry; but, I disagree on two counts.

In summary a 19 year old boy died needlessly. It was not an accident, which I get can unfortunately happen in football and any sport. It was negligence by the U Maryland.

First, as a volunteer, youth coach, I have seen kids who are down on the field crying because someone pushed them, got stepped-on, missed a goal, etc. Nevertheless, I have to go through basic medical training to be able to identify potential concussion, cardiac, and heat related situations. If something unfortunate happens and it is discovered that I did not follow protocol, the town and I could be held accountable. That's at a town, amateur level. How a professional staff at U Maryland could not asses the difference between a football player dogging it and a football player in distress from heat stroke is beyond me and then not follow the protocol for close to an hour after is beyond comprehension.

Second, it is the AD's responsibility to provide the training and tools to ensure safety within each sport team and the coach's responsibility to ensure that his staff and players follow such. The culture that Durkin put in place and Court enforced in part led to ignoring basic health safety protocols and thus contributed to the player's death. Not holding the coach/leader for such is ridiculous. As a raised Catholic, I have seen how bad things can get when the leaders of an institution put the protection of the institution above all else, including the safety of the people it is supposed to serve.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In summary a 19 year old boy died needlessly. It was not an accident, which I get can unfortunately happen in football any any sport. It was negligence by the U Maryland.

The culture that Durkin put in place and Court enforce in part led to ignoring basic health safety protocols and thus to the player's death. Not holding the coach/leader for such is ridiculous

Spot on

Reaction Score

Just wow. And I was looking forward to seeing how the Board responded when Durkin successfully recruited 0 players next year.

It is hard to believe that people are this dumb.

Reaction Score
How is it that champs99and04 is on the wrong side of every one of these issues?

Reaction Score
“You can’t fire me - I quit and by the way...”

Our Football Program

Dear University of Maryland community,

I am writing to inform you of actions I am taking that are in the best interest of the University of Maryland.

Yesterday, the University System of Maryland Board of Regents announced numerous recommendations, including employment decisions about specific personnel on our campus. I accepted the Board's recommendations. At the same time, I announced my retirement as president in June 2019.

Since returning to campus after yesterday?s press conference, I have met with the leadership of the Student Government Association speaking on behalf of numerous student organizations; the Senate Executive Committee; Deans; department chairs; and campus leadership. The overwhelming majority of stakeholders expressed serious concerns about Coach DJ Durkin returning to the campus.

The chair of the Board of Regents has publicly acknowledged that I had previously raised serious concerns about Coach Durkin?s return. This is not at all a reflection of my opinion of Coach Durkin as a person. However, a departure is in the best interest of the University, and this afternoon Coach Durkin was informed that the University will part ways.

This is a difficult decision, but it is the right one for our entire University. I will devote the remaining months of my presidency to advancing the needed reforms in our Athletic Department that prioritize the safety and well-being of our student-athletes.

Sincerely,

Wallace D. Loh
President

Reaction Score
So, any players left with eligibilty recruited by edsall? Would be 4th or 5th year players next year if my math is right.

Reaction Score
Just wow. And I was looking forward to seeing how the Board responded when Durkin successfully recruited 0 players next year.

It is hard to believe that people are this dumb.

Loh finally made the right call and then decided to go out with a bang. I do suspect that the statement from the Governor and several Congressman had a lot to do with this flip, too.

While football is important, the University of Maryland is a lot bigger and this backlash would have stung the entire University.

That said, I think the U Maryland Board of Regents are now going to be put under a microscope as at first glance, there appears that football boosters have too much influence on it because they 1) never should have made the initial decision to keep Durkin in the first place and 2) seemed to be shocked at the immediate, overwhelming backlash.

Reaction Score
Holding the person in charge responsible is irresponsible?

I'm less concerned about holding Durkin responsible and more concerned that it's only him who has been held responsible. Or, put differently, I'm concerned that that's where people have decided to stop on the food chain. Are things going to go back to business as usual now with the AD and the president keeping their jobs? I don't get that part of it.

Reaction Score

cool story bro

Reaction Score
I'm less concerned about holding Durkin responsible and more concerned that it's only him who has been held responsible. Or, put differently, I'm concerned that that's where people have decided to stop on the food chain. Are things going to go back to business as usual now with the AD and the president keeping their jobs? I don't get that part of it.

Maybe this will help. The President of the University of Maryland didn’t keep his job.

Reaction Score
Sorry; but, I disagree on two counts.

In summary a 19 year old boy died needlessly. It was not an accident, which I get can unfortunately happen in football and any sport. It was negligence by the U Maryland.

First, as a volunteer, youth coach, I have seen kids who are down on the field crying because someone pushed them, got stepped-on, missed a goal, etc. Nevertheless, I have to go through basic medical training to be able to identify potential concussion, cardiac, and heat related situations. If something unfortunate happens and it is discovered that I did not follow protocol, the town and I could be held accountable. That's at a town, amateur level. How a professional staff at U Maryland could not asses the difference between a football player dogging it and a football player in distress from heat stroke is beyond me and then not follow the protocol for close to an hour after is beyond comprehension.

Second, it is the AD's responsibility to provide the training and tools to ensure safety within each sport team and the coach's responsibility to ensure that his staff and players follow such. The culture that Durkin put in place and Court enforced in part led to ignoring basic health safety protocols and thus contributed to the player's death. Not holding the coach/leader for such is ridiculous. As a raised Catholic, I have seen how bad things can get when the leaders of an institution put the protection of the institution above all else, including the safety of the people it is supposed to serve.

It's not an accident in the sense that it's not an accident when a drunk driver kills somebody. That doesn't mean we should treat them differently than all the other drunk drivers.

It is my understanding that Durkin was not present at the fatal workout in question. That doesn't mean he's off the hook, but it's an important detail that too many people have glossed over for this reason: "culture" is a general term that is being applied in a limited and slightly arbitrary manner by the people who are consuming this story. Why doesn't culture apply to the AD or the president? Why doesn't it apply to the NCAA? What about the fans and the donors and the media?

These are macro questions that don't all need to be answered right this second, but they should help inform our reaction to a systemic calamity that will happen next time in a different way. Canning the coach might be helpful today, but ultimately it's the equivalent of giving us a fish instead of teaching us to fish until we decide to invest in a truly independent governing body.

In other words...Everything. Always. Comes. Back. To. The. NCAA. Every single thing about college sports that's unethical - whether it's paying players, or changing grades, or pushing them past their physical limits - is enabled and required by a cartel that people are all too happy to ignore. Yeah, a kid died this time, so people are less likely to quibble over the underlying bureaucracy that empowered Durkin to establish the toxic culture that he did. But they shouldn't. They really, really shouldn't. They need to see through to the real villains, the villains that have not been held responsible, if any of this madness is going to stop. It's not a matter of me liking Durkin or tolerating his behavior so much as it is me acknowledging that he's not that different. Hell, his first coaching job out of college was as a GA at Bowling Green under Urban Meyer. He had two different stints under Jim Harbaugh.

For better or worse, I probably have less in common with your average college football coach than just about anyone you'll find. I don't believe in fear tactics, I don't believe in intimidation, and I don't relate to any of the things they sell you about perseverance, accountability, toughness, sacrifice, or any of the other patriarchal building blocks they preach from. I'd probably last less than one day at a college football program, so my position has nothing to do with a lack of empathy for these kids and the barbaric things they've put up with.

I'd just like to see us at some point come to terms with the culture - not the culture of a football program, but the culture in America right now - that's eventually sucking everyone dry. The Durkin fellow ran his football team like he did because that's the way he was taught to do it, and the sad part is, this kid dying was nothing other than bad luck. Had it been some other kid, with slightly different biorhythms, we could be talking about a world where Maryland wins eight games and he jumps to take over at Michigan State or some other program where he's presented as a needed character guy who runs a tight ship. People will rationalize almost anything when they're winning and making money.

It's probably a good thing that they fired him now, because it was only going to become a bigger mess. I struggle to understand Loh keeping his job and I struggle even more to understand why he's been presented as some figure of virtue. In essence, he determined that Durkin needed to be fired, but then when he realized that he himself might have to, you know, actually sacrifice something (his job) to make that happen, he backed off. I don't get it. To the extent that Durkin was responsible for Court's conduct or lack thereof, the same is true of Loh with regards to Evans and by extension Durkin. It is indeed a culture problem, the same problem that people here don't have the balls to address when it comes to the leaders of their school. It's a culture of waiting for an obvious problem to smack you in the face before doing something about it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Maryland and Rutgers have been a disaster for the Big Ten. Neither has displayed what is expected from Big Ten schools.

Reaction Score

"when you're in a hole, stop digging."

Your initial argument was "everyone was to blame, so blame no one."

Time and again it's been shown that the Regents were gutless, and that they F-ed up their handling of this from the start.

@[B]RickMaese[/B]
Yet another stunning Maryland headline: Regents also recommended the university retain the athletic trainers who have drawn the bulk of the blame for failing to properly treat Jordan McNair
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...d-treat-jordan-mcnair/?utm_term=.0c2f4fb70f58

Reaction Score
It's not an accident in the sense that it's not an accident when a drunk driver kills somebody. That doesn't mean we should treat them differently than all the other drunk drivers.

It is my understanding that Durkin was not present at the fatal workout in question. That doesn't mean he's off the hook, but it's an important detail that too many people have glossed over for this reason: "culture" is a general term that is being applied in a limited and slightly arbitrary manner by the people who are consuming this story. Why doesn't culture apply to the AD or the president? Why doesn't it apply to the NCAA? What about the fans and the donors and the media?

These are macro questions that don't all need to be answered right this second, but they should help inform our reaction to a systemic calamity that will happen next time in a different way. Canning the coach might be helpful today, but ultimately it's the equivalent of giving us a fish instead of teaching us to fish until we decide to invest in a truly independent governing body.

In other words...Everything. Always. Comes. Back. To. The. NCAA. Every single thing about college sports that's unethical - whether it's paying players, or changing grades, or pushing them past their physical limits - is enabled and required by a cartel that people are all too happy to ignore. Yeah, a kid died this time, so people are less likely to quibble over the underlying bureaucracy that empowered Durkin to establish the toxic culture that he did. But they shouldn't. They really, really shouldn't. They need to see through to the real villains, the villains that have not been held responsible, if any of this madness is going to stop. It's not a matter of me liking Durkin or tolerating his behavior so much as it is me acknowledging that he's not that different. Hell, his first coaching job out of college was as a GA at Bowling Green under Urban Meyer. He had two different stints under Jim Harbaugh.

For better or worse, I probably have less in common with your average college football coach than just about anyone you'll find. I don't believe in fear tactics, I don't believe in intimidation, and I don't relate to any of the things they sell you about perseverance, accountability, toughness, sacrifice, or any of the other patriarchal building blocks they preach from. I'd probably last less than one day at a college football program, so my position has nothing to do with a lack of empathy for these kids and the barbaric things they've put up with.

I'd just like to see us at some point come to terms with the culture - not the culture of a football program, but the culture in America right now - that's eventually sucking everyone dry. The Durkin fellow ran his football team like he did because that's the way he was taught to do it, and the sad part is, this kid dying was nothing other than bad luck. Had it been some other kid, with slightly different biorhythms, we could be talking about a world where Maryland wins eight games and he jumps to take over at Michigan State or some other program where he's presented as a needed character guy who runs a tight ship. People will rationalize almost anything when they're winning and making money.

It's probably a good thing that they fired him now, because it was only going to become a bigger mess. I struggle to understand Loh keeping his job and I struggle even more to understand why he's been presented as some figure of virtue. In essence, he determined that Durkin needed to be fired, but then when he realized that he himself might have to, you know, actually sacrifice something (his job) to make that happen, he backed off. I don't get it. To the extent that Durkin was responsible for Court's conduct or lack thereof, the same is true of Loh with regards to Evans and by extension Durkin. It is indeed a culture problem, the same problem that people here don't have the balls to address when it comes to the leaders of their school. It's a culture of waiting for an obvious problem to smack you in the face before doing something about it.

I agree that there are marco issues here. That said, hopefully the fist step is to show people at the that the environment that lead to this tragedy at U Maryland are unacceptable and that there is accountability and consequences for EVERYONE involved from The Board to the Head Coach and down to the trainers. Hopefully, though it appears that the Board of Regents at the University of Maryland never will, learn and take corrective action. That is the only way to find something postive our of Mr. McNari's death.

Reaction Score
What an absolute cluster...

Fight breaks out among Maryland football players at practice in wake of Durkin drama

>>When Durkin returned to practice Tuesday to watch the team practice, his supporters on the team felt emboldened and began taunting Barber, he said. Some mocked and insulted him, while others threw footballs at him, Barber said.

Toward the end of the practice, another player attacked Barber, attempting to punch him in the face, Barber said. While the two teammates were fighting, others tried to intervene and grabbed Barber’s arms behind his back, he said. That allowed the other player to punch Barber repeatedly in the face, leaving him with a black eye, needing multiple stitches on his forehead and a dislocated shoulder, Barber said.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom