OT: Map building | The Boneyard

OT: Map building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Back in third grade, we had a map puzzle. On one side were the 48 continental United States(it was not a brand new map in 1962), and on the other, a map of the world. It was so popular, the teacher had to assign the puzzle to keep us from arguing over it. Talk about a way to make a learning experience fun and interesting. I just wish someone had informed me of the proper pronunciation of Arkansas before making a fool of myself in fifth grade.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
While away you off-season with USA construction

http://jimspages.com/States.htm

-Wow. This is just terrific. What a great way to have fun and teach.
-Just one minor issue:
--For some reason, it deducts points from my score whenever I, naturally, dump Tennessee into the ocean, just as matter of principle. What’s with that???? I know it’s one of our prettiest states, but come on…

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is pretty cool.

I literally lost Delaware. I have no idea where I dropped it, but I can't find it.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
There's a version of this game out there that is totally humbling -- the US map stays blank after you drop the states in. AND, it doesn't register until you get it right on top of it's home.

I think I'll play with this one for a while. Makes me feel smart(er) than I actually am.

Reaction Score
Back in third grade, we had a map puzzle. On one side were the 48 continental United States(it was not a brand new map in 1962), and on the other, a map of the world. It was so popular, the teacher had to assign the puzzle to keep us from arguing over it. Talk about a way to make a learning experience fun and interesting. I just wish someone had informed me of the proper pronunciation of Arkansas before making a fool of myself in fifth grade.
That's funny...when I was in about the fifth grade, someone pronounced it AR-KANSAS...I apparently had no idea how it was spelled, because I knew it was pronounced incorrectly...IF I had known how it was spelled, I probably would have pronounced it the same way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ugh. I thought I could ace it. S.D. was my second state, and I thought it was Kansas. Then I missed Penn. and one other early in the middle of the country by a few miles. Nevertheless, it was fun. Wyoming v. Colorado is a toughie!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's all local. Pronunciation of proper nouns is, to some degree, arbitrary. Look at Krzyzewski, for example. Or Worcester. Newark in N.J. and Newark in Delaware are not the same (in many ways).

Missouri ends with an "uh" sound. Go figure.

Oregon has an accent on totally the wrong syllable and no long e.

Maryland sounds as if Monroe should be it's last name.

And the Governator pronounced his state's name as if it was Cauliflower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom