OT: Malcolm Huckaby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Malcolm Huckaby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Older brother wasn't good enough for UConn.........too bad dad felt that way but it still turned out okay for us and also for Malcolm

I'm a cousin of Troy , Martin and Malcolm and the way it was explained to me was Calhoun did a home visit for Malcolm . He pissed off the family because he sat in their house and boasted about Chris Smith the whole visit. Troy was the best but he injured his back. Martin had a bum knee like the rest of the family-lol. Malcolm made it and had more than a cup of tea with the Heat. He was well liked by Riley but his career ended after a severe ankle injury. Their Bristol highschool team was one of the best I've seen. They had a kid a named Lonnie Brooks that could shoot the ball as good as any Div. 1 player and ended up at WCSU.

Reaction Score
I'm a cousin of Troy , Martin and Malcolm and the way it was explained to me was Calhoun did a home visit for Malcolm . He pissed off the family because he sat in their house and boasted about Chris Smith the whole visit. Troy was the best but he injured his back. Martin had a bum knee like the rest of the family-lol. Malcolm made it and had more than a cup of tea with the Heat. He was well liked by Riley but his career ended after a severe ankle injury. Their Bristol highschool team was one of the best I've seen. They had a kid a named Lonnie Brooks that could shoot the ball as good as any Div. 1 player and ended up at WCSU.

Lonnie Brooks was a nice player remember him also........they were tough. The coaches don't always get it right..........

I was in the stands in 1980-81 and sitting with a UConn assistant (forget his name looked like Howdy Doody worked for Perno) and he was there to see Jay murphy who was playing against Tony Rhylec of Platt at the time......Murph was "only 6'9" at the time and this assistant was asking me and my bro some questions because I had played with him and were friends........when the game was over Jay put up 27 and 13, nice game for a tall skinny kid and the UConn coached looked at me and my brother and said, quote "...nice player, maybe low Divy 1 or 2.....but no way can he ever play in the Big East.."...........1800 points later vs Ewing and alike you would think maybe Dom Perno might have gone to take a look himself........now you know why none of his kids seriously thought of Storrs although there's one more!! LOL

Reaction Score
I taught there was not great interest in Malcolm from JC, but never heard the Chris Smith story. I can't blame the Huckaby's for being upset in that situation. Were the Hickey boys ( Lydell and Rod) on that team. BCHS had a run for a while were they had some special teams. Unfortunately the last 5 - 6 years they have been average at best.

Reaction Score
Lonnie Brooks was a nice player remember him also........they were tough. The coaches don't always get it right..........

I was in the stands in 1980-81 and sitting with a UConn assistant (forget his name looked like Howdy Doody worked for Perno) and he was there to see Jay murphy who was playing against Tony Rhylec of Platt at the time......Murph was "only 6'9" at the time and this assistant was asking me and my bro some questions because I had played with him and were friends........when the game was over Jay put up 27 and 13, nice game for a tall skinny kid and the UConn coached looked at me and my brother and said, quote "...nice player, maybe low Divy 1 or 2.....but no way can he ever play in the Big East.."...........1800 points later vs Ewing and alike you would think maybe Dom Perno might have gone to take a look himself........now you know why none of his kids seriously thought of Storrs although there's one more!! LOL
I remember Jay Murphy in high school, lefty with a nice soft jumper and tougher then he looked. Didn't he play on play on the same team as Bob Biestick. The Beast may have been as good as an all around athlete ( Football, hoop, baseball) as there was to come out of CT ( at least in my era). Sort of a man amongst boys. Being from Bristol and going to St.Paul, I knew many people from Meriden. I also remember a great soccer player, that I think went to Platt in those days. Was his name Geno Parisi (?)

Reaction Score
I remember Jay Murphy in high school, lefty with a nice soft jumper and tougher then he looked. Didn't he play on play on the same team as Bob Biestick. The Beast may have been as good as an all around athlete ( Football, hoop, baseball) as there was to come out of CT ( at least in my era). Sort of a man amongst boys. Being from Bristol and going to St.Paul, I knew many people from Meriden. I also remember a great soccer player, that I think went to Platt in those days. Was his name Geno Parisi (?)

Parisi was unbelievable.........right off the boat along with another guy Calabrese but they were in the mid-70's.........best soccer players ever in Meriden maybe Jachym was close........

Beast was a great friend, in my wedding, and he as unfortunately left us this past year way too early. Great athlete.......played basketball and baseball with him growing up right through HS........great guy, as you said a man among boys in HS football.....great match ups with Pearson.......Pearson was at Bristol Eastern when I played hoops against him and Pecevich in 76 then he transferred.........Biestek was the 3rd best QB in CT his Senior year with Steve Young and Sandy Osiecki being 1st and 2nd team all state......Beast got 1st team LB........fun dude, great memories especially visiting him at BC......

Reaction Score
Parisi was unbelievable.........right off the boat along with another guy Calabrese but they were in the mid-70's.........best soccer players ever in Meriden maybe Jachym was close........

Beast was a great friend, in my wedding, and he as unfortunately left us this past year way too early. Great athlete.......played basketball and baseball with him growing up right through HS........great guy, as you said a man among boys in HS football.....great match ups with Pearson.......Pearson was at Bristol Eastern when I played hoops against him and Pecevich in 76 then he transferred.........Biestek was the 3rd best QB in CT his Senior year with Steve Young and Sandy Osiecki being 1st and 2nd team all state......Beast got 1st team LB........fun dude, great memories especially visiting him at BC......
Got to know Beast thru my brother and the St.Joes club in Bristol. Tragically both Beast and my brother passed away within a year of each other. Both great people and left us too soon. Beast was a gentle giant. Played Santa at Christmas for different organizations. I believe one of his brothers lives in North Carolina near a great golf course. My 21 year old son is a very good golfer (2-3 handicap) and Beast was telling my wife and I that he was going to take our son on his next trip to NC and pay for everything. I knew if he was still around he would have found a way to make it happen. I don't believe I knew him as well or as long as you did, but as corny as it sounds I loved the guy.

Reaction Score
Got to know Beast thru my brother and the St.Joes club in Bristol. Tragically both Beast and my brother passed away within a year of each other. Both great people and left us too soon. Beast was a gentle giant. Played Santa at Christmas for different organizations. I believe one of his brothers lives in North Carolina near a great golf course. My 21 year old son is a very good golfer (2-3 handicap) and Beast was telling my wife and I that he was going to take our son on his next trip to NC and pay for everything. I knew if he was still around he would have found a way to make it happen. I don't believe I knew him as well or as long as you did, but as corny as it sounds I loved the guy.

Yeah went to the St Joes club a few times with him, most recently after his golf outing I played in at Pine Valley this summer........you knew him long enough to know he can impact our life as a friend in a big way I'm glad you did. And yes you are correct, he would've found a way to bring your son to his brother Jimmy's in NC to play no doubt about it........

We had this discussion now on the football board right after his passing.......really glad you were fortunate to be in his life because he was a great person! By the way a very underrated basketball player too in HS.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom