OT: Making breakfast on a grill | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Making breakfast on a grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I might go with the disposable aluminum. I was reading about cast iron skillets and all this keeping it seasoned stuff sounds like a lot of work for someone who has a hard time staying on top of their laundry, never mind re-seasoning a skillet after use.
Not at all.

1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Coat the pan inside and out with olive oil.
3. Cook the pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove and allow to cool.
5. Rinse with warm water.

Done. You don't have to re-season after every use. In fact, the pan basically self-seasons with the fats you cook in it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you don't have time to get a pan or griddle before the game consider doing the eggs individually in foil. Easy to move around on the grill and disposable, just hit the foil with some PAM. FWIW a griddle is the best choice.

th

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not at all.

1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Coat the pan inside and out with olive oil.
3. Cook the pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
4. Remove and allow to cool.
5. Rinse with warm water.

Done. You don't have to re-season after every use. In fact, the pan basically self-seasons with the fats you cook in it.
I like vegetable oil better for a cast iron pan. It can be smoky. I prefer to use my outdoor grill to season the pan.

Even independent of tailgating, a well seasoned cast iron griddle is a great tool to have in the kitchen.

Reaction Score
2 piece cast iron skillet set to BJs for $30, or an aluminum pan as others have recommended.

Reaction Score
Yeah I had an old one which has a griddle but I found that the amount of eggs I'd lose in the vents was pretty insane and made the whole thing a huge mess.
I have a Coleman Road trip grill which we have used for 6 years. Best if you use an old Fry pan with Spray on shortening. It is great for eggs as long as you have a cover for it. We will be cooking sausage of some sort on the grill portion. The only downside is trying to toast rolls drink beer and Bloody Mary's at the same time. Last Thursday we cooked 1/2 pound burgers using both the griddle and grill sides no fry pan. The only bad part was the my 30 min. cleanup Friday morning. Get the putty knife and paper towels and gallon baggy out to keep the smell contained. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I might go with the disposable aluminum. I was reading about cast iron skillets and all this keeping it seasoned stuff sounds like a lot of work for someone who has a hard time staying on top of their laundry, never mind re-seasoning a skillet after use.
They sell pre-seasoned cast iron on Amazon. Go for the 12". Bigger is not better in this case.

Psst. Great little secret for keeping cast iron pans and skillets in great shape. When you are done, dump a handful of kosher salt on to the surface and wipe dry with a cloth. The salt acts as an abrasive to help lift stuck food and absorbs liquid to prevent rust, but doesn't destroy the surface.

And worst case scenario, if you do get some rust? Wipe it d0wn with vegetable oil and a cloth.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I will go to Rutgers and back if it meant bacon, eggs and other assorted meats on my grill.

Meatsweats before a game is second to none.

Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
Something about tailgates makes food taste better, and makes people act differently. One time I brought my in-laws to a tailgate when we played the wife's alma mater. When one of the eggs fell onto the grass and cracked but did not break, my mother-in-law -- who could have been an extra on the Stepford Wives -- picked it up and said, "do you think you can save it? Just add it to mine. It'll be fine." This is a woman who bleaches countertops after cooking with chicken or eggs (not really, but close) and throws out milk days before its expiration date. Yet she ate an egg sandwich cooked in bacon grease (some of it could have been weeks old) while drinking half-screwdriver, half-Mimosas out of a Solo Cup, and loved it. The quintessential American dining experience isn't Thanksgiving and it isn't Easter. It's in a parking lot on a brisk fall morning, preferably in bucolic East Hartford, Connecticut.
Love it. Never heard East Hartford referred to as bucolic before!

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
I have 3 cast irons and the seasoning thing is BS if you ask me. I spray a touch of Pam on it so it doesn't rust after washing.

Reaction Score
You gotta have corn beef hash, make it nice and crispy with eggs over easy and franks hot sauce.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
You gotta have corn beef hash, make it nice and crispy with eggs over easy and franks hot sauce.
Ohh man.....just before I headed to the store. perfect !!!! thanks

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
All you need is a regular old grill and aluminum foil. Cook your bacon first so you can 1) munch of some meat candy while you cook your eggs and 2) use the bacon fat to cook the eggs for easier flipping. Melt your cheese right on the eggs after the first flip and heat up your bagels/english muffins on the other side of the grill while the cheese melts. Boom. Bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches. Throw out aluminum foil after done and you have a nice clean grill for lunch 2 hours later.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We use cast iron skillets on our grill all the time - we don't cook bacon in the house, we always use the grill.

Reaction Score
I have a non stick griddle that fits across our grill or camp stove, allows us to cook several items at the same time. Just wipe it clean.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Gonna do breakfast sandwiches in Gray Lot tomorrow, but this recipe has been a tailgate staple for years now (can't grill it but it's still good)

CTMike's Bangin Breakfast Bake

1 box of waffles (like Eggo), thawed and diced
9-10 large eggs, beaten
1 pack pre-cooked bacon, diced
1 package pre-cooked sausage (like a Jimmy dean maple sausage) thawed and diced
1 package shredded cheddar/jack cheese
Salt/pepper

Spray a 9x13 baking dish. Mix in diced waffles/bacon/sausage. Season the eggs, and pour evenly over waffles/bacon/sausage. Cover with cheese and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes, till eggs are cooked.

Pretty flexible if you want to substitute or do light versions of the ingredients, too.

Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
Something about tailgates makes food taste better, and makes people act differently. One time I brought my in-laws to a tailgate when we played the wife's alma mater. When one of the eggs fell onto the grass and cracked but did not break, my mother-in-law -- who could have been an extra on the Stepford Wives -- picked it up and said, "do you think you can save it? Just add it to mine. It'll be fine." This is a woman who bleaches countertops after cooking with chicken or eggs (not really, but close) and throws out milk days before its expiration date. Yet she ate an egg sandwich cooked in bacon grease (some of it could have been weeks old) while drinking half-screwdriver, half-Mimosas out of a Solo Cup, and loved it. The quintessential American dining experience isn't Thanksgiving and it isn't Easter. It's in a parking lot on a brisk fall morning, preferably in bucolic East Hartford, Connecticut.

Bucolic? Nice.

Reaction Score
Bucolic? Nice.
A couple of years ago for the 1st game also at noon time, I grabbed my Coleman Road trip from the shed and packed up everything to do egg Sandwiches. After getting the grill warmed up we started looking around to see who was smoking weed near us. All of a sudden smoke starts pouring out from under the griddle as I was not aware that it was a perfect place for a mouse nest. Not too embarrassing. Well I flipped the wad of grass onto the gravel, stomped it out and continued to prepare great tasting eggs and sausage. Now I store the grill in the garage and no more visitors from the farm next door.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

we have a big 6 burner grill... we use the metal chafing pans for heat distribution, and scramble eggs in the half size aluminum. spray it with cooking spray and let it heat up a minute, then onto the chafer and fill with scrambles eggs... you can serve right out of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom