OT: Lyft or Uber | The Boneyard

OT: Lyft or Uber

Reaction Score
Wife and I are flying into Chicago for a few days this weekend. Unfortunately we will be staying out by the airport in Rosedale. We will not be renting a car considering the big city/airport and the taxis available around there and the City.

We will be doing the Uber thing mostly, unless we are downtown and choose to hail a cab back to the airport hotel. I've done Uber in Las Vegas, pretty good experience.

Since we will be car less does anyone tried Lyft? Or is Uber the best bet?

Or does it really matter which one?

Reaction Score
Download both, see which has the cheapest price when you're there. Apps are basically the same, but if you're into luxury rides, the UberBlack thing (or whatever it's called) can be nice.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
if you wanna PM me your phone # I can send you a code for free rides on Lyft. Think you get a $5 credit for your first 5 rides or so

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If Lyft is available, use Lyft. Much better on many levels imo. Also should be much cheaper when first using because you will get a promo with free rides or discounted rides for the first five or ten rides. You and your wife should each download with separate accounts so you can both take advantage of the intro promos.

Reaction Score
Lyft = Better promos, basically less expensive in general

Uber = Higher quantity (in most areas), more people have the app if you plan on fare splitting with friends

The choice between the two won't kill you. More likely it will be wanting to try everything at every restaurant that does.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Never tried lyft but I like uber. All my friends use uber

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In many places where both are operating, most drivers drive for both and will determine which sign they put in the window based on the service through which you hailed them. Everywhere I have been where both exist, the drivers have unanimously, unequivocally and passionately said that Lyft treats them far better than Uber, and that they far prefer Lyft.

Every Lyft driver I have had has been great. Clean, newer, comfortable cars; as much or as little conversation as I want.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
For how little you're using it, it doesn't matter. If you were taking 50+ rides a month I'd say Uber.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
if you wanna PM me your phone # I can send you a code for free rides on Lyft. Think you get a $5 credit for your first 5 rides or so

Sneaky way to pick up some referral credits drew. I don't hate it. Win for all.

Reaction Score
My son and I just had this conversation because he was in DC and used both. Lyft is generally a little cheaper. Uber is much larger and has more drivers so your chances of getting picked up quicker are better with Uber. But as someone said above a lot of the drivers drive for both. And in a big city like Chicago there are plenty of drivers for both so shouldn't be an issue there. In my son's opinion Uber's app is a little better with more features. In a place like Chicago for just a few days I don't really think it matters which one you use. Try both and see what you think.

For social justice reasons my son prefers to use Lyft. Seems lots of people did that this year (Lyft has gained 7 points of market share since Uber scandals began).

Reaction Score
If you don't mind public transportation also check out the CTA and see if there are any lines near your hotel or where you are going. You can get day passes for like $10 for unlimited use.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just got an e-mail from Lyft informing me that I have scored 50% off all rides until 8/21.

Coincidence?

I'm a little scared.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I just got an e-mail from Lyft informing me that I have scored 50% off all rides until 8/21.

Coincidence?

I'm a little scared.

Nah, happens all the time. But literally might be because you posted on this thread. Thanks google!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nah, happens all the time.
Yes, I know, but I had already received a push notification of a different promo credit earlier today.

Odd.

Reaction Score
just did

Reaction Score
If you don't mind public transportation also check out the CTA and see if there are any lines near your hotel or where you are going. You can get day passes for like $10 for unlimited use.
Yeah I am doing the bus thingy when we go to the Steakhouse. Its right on the route. Have to walk a little bit but it will be much needed after a Chicago T-bone.

Reaction Score
Lyft has been great and is cheaper. I'd definitely choose it when given the option. Had great luck with them in Florida and in Nashville.

Reaction Score
Wife and I are flying into Chicago for a few days this weekend. Unfortunately we will be staying out by the airport in Rosedale. We will not be renting a car considering the big city/airport and the taxis available around there and the City.

We will be doing the Uber thing mostly, unless we are downtown and choose to hail a cab back to the airport hotel. I've done Uber in Las Vegas, pretty good experience.

Since we will be car less does anyone tried Lyft? Or is Uber the best bet?

Or does it really matter which one?
Download them both, there should be promo codes that give you free rides.

Why are you staying out in Rosemont? It's not far but I could have given you recommendations for good hotels at a good price in the city. CTA blue line stops at Rosemont and O'Hare. Was just at O'Hare to fly back to Connecticut and my flight was cancelled, have to try again tomorrow. You need any recommendations on what to do/where to eat, let me know.

Reaction Score
Download them both, there should be promo codes that give you free rides.

Why are you staying out in Rosemont? It's not far but I could have given you recommendations for good hotels at a good price in the city. CTA blue line stops at Rosemont and O'Hare. Was just at O'Hare to fly back to Connecticut and my flight was cancelled, have to try again tomorrow. You need any recommendations on what to do/where to eat, let me know.
Hilton Garden Inn

How's Gibson's Bar & Steakhouse out there?

Of course I want a great steak while there. Not sure about ..... dare I say ........'pizza'.

Also are the hot dogs worth the effort of getting there?

Reaction Score
Hilton Garden Inn

How's Gibson's Bar & Steakhouse out there?

Of course I want a great steak while there. Not sure about ..... dare I say ...'pizza'.

Also are the hot dogs worth the effort of getting there?

Fogo de Chao in Rosemont (quick Uber/Lyft ride away)... if the wait is long and the timing is right - there is a "museum" to kill time in. Bring a UConn tshirt for the folks on the second floor of the building;)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
All drivers are independent contractors so it shouldn't matter much. I've only ever done uber so I can't speak to lyft. I imagine if one was markedly cheaper than the other one would have gone away by now.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Took Lyft to Universal from Disney park and they were fantastic. Never taking a taxi again. Literally a 60 dollar difference. We got stuck behind a train for 20 minutes and total charge was only 1 dollar more then estimate. Plus they have great coupons. Lyft is better customer service and they don't have the creep factor of the Uber organization!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom