OT: Lukas Kisunas recruiting update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Lukas Kisunas recruiting update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Josh is a player with a lot of promise. He needs to learn how to avoid getting in foul trouble AND he needs to get stronger if he wants to succeed against the bigs on tournament caliber teams. That shouldn't be that hard to understand.

He does have promise, he does need to avoid getting into foul trouble. I've been saying that all a long. His size is fine. He needs to redefine his body to get more athletic & quicker. Do you really think a 6'9" kid needs to weigh more than 240 lbs? Redefine is key. He's got strength, but he needs to stop fouling. Should he be 275 lbs @ 6'9"??? That would be nice, but rare!

Reaction Score
Weight is not equal to strength. Dennis Rodman was one of the strongest players in the NBA during his time and he was 6'7 220.

I never brought up any of those guys regarding skill, or style of play, or fouling. You did. I never even brought up JC's skills at all.

I'm talking purely about physique and strength.

Carlton is not an athlete, nor is he a finesse player. I'll use your words he's "a banger". He's going to have to rely on fundamentals and physicality. He needs to seriously improve that physicality. A long with all the other stuff.

You absolutely brought up Adrien, Nolan & Patric Young.... and now you are bring up Dennis Rodman (review your posts)! You crack me up! Let Josh Carlton be Josh Carlton, dude! He'll be just fine without you trying to put him into some box that he's not. He's a big kid & has some skills to work with. He will figure it out. He was an 18 yo freshman until February & had good games & bad games. His future is bright. He has 3 more years to develop his body & game. Let's stop with the Adrien, Nolan, Young & Rodman comparisons....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You absolutely brought up Adrien, Nolan & Patric Young.... and now you are bring up Dennis Rodman (review your posts)! You crack me up! Let Josh Carlton be Josh Carlton, dude! He'll be just fine without you trying to put him into some box that he's not. He's a big kid & has some skills to work with. He will figure it out. He was an 18 yo freshman until February & had good games & bad games. His future is bright. He has 3 more years to develop his body & game. Let's stop with the Adrien, Nolan, Young & Rodman comparisons....

You seem to only read half my posts. Don't know whether it's deliberate or not.

I wrote: I never brought up any of those guys regarding skill, or style of play, or fouling.

You translate: You absolutely brought up those players.

You see that bold bit? That's the key to the sentence.

I brought up those players ONLY in discussing strength and physique and relative improvements therewith. Full stop.

Josh Carlton can be Josh Carlton all he wants as long as he gets a lot stronger.

Reaction Score
But I never said Kisunas wasn’t a project. Carlton is offensively raw and often clueless on the defensive end. He’s got potential I agree, but he said Diarra was our only project big, which I disagreed with.

Quite simply you are wrong. Carlton, showed way more positional awareness and hedging ability vs the pick and roll then any of our big men on defense. Skills he most certainly acquired while at DeMatha. His plus/minus numbers were quite often very good, but he too often foul trouble or KO's absentmindedness kept on the bench for long stretches. Also he consistently was able to post-up even though our guards seldom paid him any mind, and he was able to more consistently execute the pick and roll then our other big men.

Reaction Score
I always liked Kisunas. If he goes to Zona, I think he'll do well there. That being said, it's important for Coach Hurley to put his signature on the upcoming team and I just don't think keeping the old recruits was realistic. We have a new vision.
Up to Hurley to recruit somebody more skilled or at least a player who better fits his system. Apparently Hurley wasn't thrilled with the 3 incoming recruits so now he has to produce to fill those holes. I get the feeling that he has a plan with specific targets in mind.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Up to Hurley to recruit somebody more skilled or at least a player who better fits his system. Apparently Hurley wasn't thrilled with the 3 incoming recruits so now he has to produce to fill those holes. I get the feeling that he has a plan with specific targets in mind.
I strongly doubt Hurley didn’t want Akinjo.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What's lost on some here is that he is 19 years old and not grown into his body yet. He will put on some strength and get somewhat bigger, especially with those wide shoulders

Reaction Score
Quite simply you are wrong. Carlton, showed way more positional awareness and hedging ability vs the pick and roll then any of our big men on defense. Skills he most certainly acquired while at DeMatha. His plus/minus numbers were quite often very good, but he too often foul trouble or KO's absentmindedness kept on the bench for long stretches. Also he consistently was able to post-up even though our guards seldom paid him any mind, and he was able to more consistently execute the pick and roll then our other big men.
Okay, i’m wrong

Reaction Score
What's lost on some here is that he is 19 years old and not grown into his body yet. He will put on some strength and get somewhat bigger, especially with those wide shoulders
Don't think it's lost on anyone. He's young and was physically weak as a freshman, hopefully he gets stronger. As Bob Hurley pointed out, the whole team needs to get stronger.

Reaction Score
I strongly doubt Hurley didn’t want Akinjo.
Maybe , maybe not but we didn't hear about any of the new coaching staff heading west to recruit him. Either way Akinjo needs to be replaced. PG is still our biggest need. Gilbert's health is still an issue and Jalen playing close to 40 mins a game at PG is not the answer.

Reaction Score
He does have promise, he does need to avoid getting into foul trouble. I've been saying that all a long. His size is fine. He needs to redefine his body to get more athletic & quicker. Do you really think a 6'9" kid needs to weigh more than 240 lbs? Redefine is key. He's got strength, but he needs to stop fouling. Should he be 275 lbs @ 6'9"??? That would be nice, but rare!

I never said he needs to weigh more, I said he needs to get stronger. You seem to really enjoy getting into arguments that don't exist. Perhaps you should change your name to Strawmaster?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe , maybe not but we didn't hear about any of the new coaching staff heading west to recruit him. Either way Akinjo needs to be replaced. PG is still our biggest need. Gilbert's health is still an issue and Jalen playing close to 40 mins a game at PG is not the answer.
It’s possible Hurley reached out and Akinjo said thanks but no thanks. Totally agree the biggest needs are pg and shooters. Akinjo would have filled the point guard need. He was a big loss.

We’ll find out if Lecque is pipe dreams or real and getting him will be tremendous. But Hurley will still need to get a good point guard who is better than the names we currently are hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom