OT: Lukas Kisunas recruiting update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Lukas Kisunas recruiting update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he is Phil Nolan he does not contribute right away. You are looking at taking a charge or 2 in year 3.

I was trying to be liberal, but even so, Nolan had some moments as a freshman and sophomore. And remarkably, he played 61 minutes (!) against Michigan State, Florida, and Kentucky. As much as I want to use that to help my point, it's staggering to think that Phil Nolan played over 20 minutes per game on a team that went through the tournament favorite, the #1 overall seed, and the most talented team. Let's just say we were pretty damn loaded 1-4.

But still, Phil was a guy who played 11 minutes per game as a freshman and then 11 minutes per game as a senior. The problem wasn't that he was a nothing prospect. He was solidly in the top 150 and never really got better. Fortunately, his screening and hedging was enough in 2014.

Reaction Score
Nolan could have been one of UCONN's greatest bigs if his talents were properly developed.

Reaction Score
Am I correct in saying that ALL our bigs are “projects”? Carlton is on the line maybe? We need a big man, but a 6’7 guy with skills and bulk will do.

Reaction Score
Am I correct in saying that ALL our bigs are “projects”? Carlton is on the line maybe? We need a big man, but a 6’7 guy with skills and bulk will do.

Yup. Feels like we have a bunch of wings.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Nolan could have been one of UCONN's greatest bigs if his talents were properly developed.

tumblr_o4bvzvi95q1tuxm3lo1_250.gif

Reaction Score
Why Sean Miller even has a job there right now is beyond ridiculous from an NCAA standpoint... goes to show how much the NCAA and Emmert cares about their star programs/coaches

Reaction Score
He's not Thabeet but to my eye he looked like he matched up well proportionally against basically everyone we played this year, minus Ayton. And there aren't many Ayton's. I'd be willing to bet he's taller than a guy like Oriakhi, and I find it hard to believe he's only got one inch on Diarra. If he's not more than an inch taller than Diarra, you're only making my point that he's not a project, because Diarra can do things athletically he can't.

The read on him coming in was that he rebounds, block shots, and has good hands. At the very least, you don't get the third thing with projects. Some of the things he lacks - foot speed, explosiveness, leaping ability - aren't necessarily things you teach. I tend to look at him and Diarra as being at opposite ends of the spectrum - Diarra has a higher ceiling and Carlton is more likely to be a steady four year guy.
Diarra is only 6'6. My point was Oriakhi looked like a bodybuilder compared to Carlton. Josh's big problems are lack of explosiveness and he's physically weak. All our bigs are projects.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Watch him go to AZ and drop 20 & 10 on us in December at the XL center...
Every UConn team seems to allow someone on the opposing team to have career games - why not him!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Diarra is only 6'6. My point was Oriakhi looked like a bodybuilder compared to Carlton. Josh's big problems are lack of explosiveness and he's physically weak. All our bigs are projects.

Forget Oriakhi. I mean him and Jeff were two of our most solid guys down low ever.

Just look at Josh compared to Phil Nolan:

1of2

uconn-huskies-head-coach-kevin-ollie-and-uconn-huskies-forward-josh-picture-id872730172

Reaction Score
2of2

december-14-2014-uconn-huskies-forward-phillip-nolan-only-saw-11-of-picture-id579724450

Why would you be comparing a Senior Phil Nolan's photo to a Freshman Josh Carlton's photo? Carlton as a Freshman was listed roughly @ 240 lbs (good size for a Freshman Big).... and Phil Nolan didn't hit 230 lbs until his Senior year. Carlton's Freshman year (4.4 pts, 3.7 rbs) was better than any of Nolan's 4 years here. Carlton needs to tone up & develop his legs for more lift (ie. athletic), but he has a lot more potential (offensively & defensively) than Nolan ever had.... minus flopping & photo bombing! :) I'm looking forward to see how Carlton develops. He can develop into a bruiser down low. He's got the frame & potential is there. Now he needs to stop fouling. Ha!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why would you be comparing a Senior Phil Nolan's photo to a Freshman Josh Carlton's photo? Carlton as a Freshman was listed roughly @ 240 lbs (good size for a Freshman Big).... and Phil Nolan didn't hit 230 lbs until his Senior year. Carlton's Freshman year (4.4 pts, 3.7 rbs) was better than any of Nolan's 4 years here. Carlton needs to tone up & develop his legs for more lift (ie. athletic), but he has a lot more potential (offensively & defensively) than Nolan ever had.... minus flopping & photo bombing! :) I'm looking forward to see how Carlton develops. He can develop into a bruiser down low. He's got the frame & potential is there. Now he needs to stop fouling. Ha!

Just showing body type comparison, not comparing at each point in their career. We can go back to Jeff Adrien or Alex O pics if you want.

Josh may weigh more than PN, but it doesn't equate to more strength. He needs about 20+ pounds of muscle. With that frame, it looks like he's starving. He got pushed around too much last year. He'll never be explosive, so he's going to have to out position and out muscle his opposition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was trying to be liberal, but even so, Nolan had some moments as a freshman and sophomore. And remarkably, he played 61 minutes (!) against Michigan State, Florida, and Kentucky. As much as I want to use that to help my point, it's staggering to think that Phil Nolan played over 20 minutes per game on a team that went through the tournament favorite, the #1 overall seed, and the most talented team. Let's just say we were pretty damn loaded 1-4.

But still, Phil was a guy who played 11 minutes per game as a freshman and then 11 minutes per game as a senior. The problem wasn't that he was a nothing prospect. He was solidly in the top 150 and never really got better. Fortunately, his screening and hedging was enough in 2014.
Brimah took his minutes becsusr Brimah was better
Nolan’s freshman minutes increased because Wolf was thrown off the team. He was was backup to Wolf
That tells you everything you need to about the talent he brought here.
He did learn to play the position but the only reason Ollie started him was to protect Brimah .
He was however the photobomb King.
Carlton is twice the player Nolan was

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Why Sean Miller even has a job there right now is beyond ridiculous from an NCAA standpoint... goes to show how much the NCAA and Emmert cares about their star programs/coaches

You're under the impression that Arizona is a bigger "star program" than UConn? We get hit for everything. Give it time. "University-4" will get theirs.

Reaction Score
Carlton has some things going for him but you guys aren't being objective about his strength. At this point he is physically weak and it hurt his game, hopefully he busts it in the weight room and eating wise.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Carlton has some things going for him but you guys aren't being objective about his strength. At this point he is physically weak and it hurt his game, hopefully he busts it in the weight room and eating wise.

Yeah, I mean I'm surprised at the pushback. I guess compared to Brimah, Facey, and Durham we are good.

Maybe it was just me who watched him get pushed all over the court last year.

Reaction Score
Just showing body type comparison, not comparing at each point in their career. We can go back to Jeff Adrien or Alex O pics if you want.

Josh may weigh more than PN, but it doesn't equate to more strength. He needs about 20+ pounds of muscle. With that frame, it looks like he's starving. He got pushed around too much last year. He'll never be explosive, so he's going to have to out position and out muscle his opposition.

You brought up the Carlton to Nolan comparisons, not me. Carlton is not as whimpy as you make him out to be (@ 6'9 & 240 he's not starving). Comparing Josh Carlton to JA makes no sense. Completely different players. Scratch that out. JA was great. Totally different bodies. AO showed up @ UConn a bit chubby but a "5 Star" recruit & was in foul trouble equally as Carlton. AO was more athletic than Carlton may ever be but AO never lived up to his potential & left on a sour note. Carlton already shows more touch than AO ever had. Again different players.... Carlton needs to work on his body, yes, but it's more to tone up, than bulk up.

Reaction Score
Every UConn team seems to allow someone on the opposing team to have career games - why not him!

Because we have a real head coach now, and the guys who torched UConn over the past 4 years usually did it shooting 3 pointers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44