OT - Looking to get another Credit Card, what would you recommend? | The Boneyard

OT - Looking to get another Credit Card, what would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The primary credit card I use is a Southwest Chase Visa card to earn points that goes towards airfare. I always pay off the credit cards every month, so interest rate isn't the main factor.

I'm not sure if I should look for one of those cashback type cards, or one that gives you reward points toward various other things.

So what would you recommend, and why?

Reaction Score
I keep my only credit card to the Marriott card. You can always use a hotel room and it's nice having the points to make that trip free.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
The primary credit card I use is a Southwest Chase Visa card to earn points that goes towards airfare. I always pay off the credit cards every month, so interest rate isn't the main factor.

I'm not sure if I should look for one of those cashback type cards, or one that gives you reward points toward various other things.

Points are becoming less valuable and airlines are installing more restrictions and blackout dates. Getting a card giving cash back is the better economic decision. You do miss the thrill of landing the occasional no cost flight and the monthly cash back doesn't seem all that substantial, but in the long run you will save more than the value of the points and have less frustration than dealing with an airline.

Reaction Score
Chase Sapphire is the way to go if you travel.

Chase Safire is good but I just changed from Chase to Capital One. Cap One gives a 40,000 point signup bonus and then 2 points for every dollar spent. Also annual fee is only $59 vs Chase at $95

Reaction Score

One with someone else's name on the bill?

Reaction Score
Would it help if I told you my type of card and number so you can check out how I use it and why?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
In order to give you better advice we'd need to know what you spend your money on monthly. Also consider visiting thepointsguy essentially a blog that gives in-depth analysis on credit cards.

Reaction Score
Aren't points/cash back a gimmick that only reduces interest rates? For example 21% interest rate card, 1% cash back means a 20% interest rate. Or am I over simplifying it?

I have a Capital One card but don't like the annual fee, however I rarely use it, preferring my debit card or using paypal online.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have a Capital One card but don't like the annual fee, however I rarely use it, preferring my debit card or using paypal online.

Dude, your wasting your money with that card given your usage pattern. Just transfer to this one:

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/ventureone/

1.25 points per dollar spent. No annual fee. Get 20,000 miles if you spend $1000 in first 3 months.

Reaction Score
Aren't points/cash back a gimmick that only reduces interest rates? For example 21% interest rate card, 1% cash back means a 20% interest rate. Or am I over simplifying it?

Join a credit union for a card. Usually no fees, and a good rate too.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Whenever you get a new card, just PM me the card number, PIN and expiration date. I'll check if it's a good card and get back to you.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Marriott Rewards credit card is 70k points right now. Just signed up Thursday

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What's in your wallet? I'm a Capitol One Venture card fan

Reaction Score

I mean I guess if you're carrying a balance on the card, though that's a really bad financial decision. Pay it off every month and there's no need to worry about that.

Reaction Score
Been looking through all these cards and investigating. They all have unique benefits. Capital One Venture seems great. We have Sapphire and I asked my wife why she chose Sapphire when Cap One seems slightly better at first glance. She said it is because we got 50k points when we go it and all the points can be used for just about anything points/miles can be used for (like Cap One). However, when you book travel with Chase Ultimate Rewards travel, you get a 20% discount on plane tickets etc. and she has found that on 3 out of 4 of our last trips she saved a ton of money booking through them vs. Travelocity etc. She then used the points to pay for the already discounted tix.

Anyway, we'll be switching to Cap One after we burn up our Chase points. She's a serial credit card shopper. We don't pay actual money for plane tickets very often, which is great with a family of five and a place up north we visit often. However, we (she) spends a lot of money in order to get all those points.

polycom

Reaction Score
annual fees are for suckers... get a Discover Card and enjoy the cashback

This couldn't be more untrue. Depending on your spending habits having a card with an annual fee might actually be better. Ex. I use to travel for work 2x+ a month and I was allowed to use my personal card to book the travel and then was reimbursed by my company. I have a Hilton AMEX with a $95 fee..in the year I had the card I stayed in enough hotel rooms with all the points i accrued to make it more than worth it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This couldn't be more untrue. Depending on your spending habits having a card with an annual fee might actually be better. Ex. I use to travel for work 2x+ a month and I was allowed to use my personal card to book the travel and then was reimbursed by my company. I have a Hilton AMEX with a $95 fee..in the year I had the card I stayed in enough hotel rooms with all the points i accrued to make it more than worth it.
but you don't think there's any other cards that may offer the same without the annual fee. the question for the OP is what will be the purpose for it

polycom

Reaction Score
but you don't think there's any other cards that may offer the same without the annual fee. the question for the OP is what will be the purpose for it

Completely agree, I mentioned it earlier..no one can give advice on a card until we know the OP's spending patterns.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Completely agree, I mentioned it earlier..no one can give advice on a card until we know the OP's spending patterns.
yup, I'm not on planes or in hotels so some are useless for me... online shopping Walmart, Amazon etc. Discover works well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom