OT - Looking to get another Credit Card, what would you recommend? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Looking to get another Credit Card, what would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have the Citi Thank You Preferred card. 2 points for restaurants/entertainment and 1 point for everything else. Considering I use my credit card mainly for everything these days, but especially dinners/movies/sports tickets and shows it works out well. Also no annual fee.

Reaction Score
Citi Doublecash is the only way to go for a cashback card, especially if you pay it off in full every month.

Effectively 2% cashback on everything. It adds up quick. I've had mine since February and I already have the better part of $400 back

Reaction Score
Aren't points/cash back a gimmick that only reduces interest rates? For example 21% interest rate card, 1% cash back means a 20% interest rate. Or am I over simplifying it?

I have a Capital One card but don't like the annual fee, however I rarely use it, preferring my debit card or using paypal online.
First using a credit card online is safer than debit. And if you're pay a cc fee why not take advantage by paying for everything with that card. Just set up auto payments so you never forget to pay it off. If you don't use a card much there still might be benefits you could take advantage of. Amex doubles manufactures warranties ( and are great with it) and covers insurance if you rent a car. Only disadvantage is some merchants don't take Amex.

Reaction Score
American Express Blue Cash Everyday... No annual fee, 3% cash back at supermarkets, 2% at gas stations, 1% everywhere else. 0% for the first 12 months, but as others have said just pay it off month to month and you never have to worry. Plus, it looks cool. It's blue and clear.

Reaction Score
Use your debit card and concentrate on saving.

If you can get over the religious aspect of the below link this is actually fantastic personal financial advise. I'd recommend listening to the podcasts of his radio show. It has gotten me 100% out of debt (student loans, consumer debt, etc) and I have never felt more free. Credit cards aren't evil - I have two (JetBlue AMEX and a Capital One VISA) but relying on them to 'build credit' and 'get rewards' is a poor plan.

http://www.daveramsey.com

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Best deal I've ever found - $650 rebate on a new cellphone after spending $2000 within 3 months. Your phone purchase counts toward the $2000 too. My wife and I got new Iphone 6S Plus. No contract, just keep ATT for 2 weeks then cancel.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi__LOBhu3JAhUGVyYKHcNTA6AQFggeMAA&url=https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=citi-att-access-more-credit-card&usg=AFQjCNEAcSVtrqfbaeRpok7UXQnzDtFzDQ&sig2=coF0oV__Ff_Z8KQFJKPxaw&bvm=bv.110151844,d.eWE

You beautiful bastard. I need a new phone and only buy them outright. Not even an AT&T customer, but I'm doing this.

Reaction Score
American Express Blue Cash Everyday... No annual fee, 3% cash back at supermarkets, 2% at gas stations, 1% everywhere else. 0% for the first 12 months, but as others have said just pay it off month to month and you never have to worry. Plus, it looks cool. It's blue and clear.

I second this although their customer service is suspect at times. I love my Discover card and their customer service is by far the greatest.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If you can get over the religious aspect of the below link this is actually fantastic personal financial advise. I'd recommend listening to the podcasts of his radio show. It has gotten me 100% out of debt (student loans, consumer debt, etc) and I have never felt more free. Credit cards aren't evil - I have two (JetBlue AMEX and a Capital One VISA) but relying on them to 'build credit' and 'get rewards' is a poor plan.

No it's not. If you have moderate financial discipline, and you funnel your normal spending through a rewards CC, you are paying yourself. If you just use your debit card, you are pissing free money away for nothing.

Plus, it's more safe using a CC online and in some other places. Day one stuff.

Reaction Score
No it's not. If you have moderate financial discipline, and you funnel your normal spending through a rewards CC, you are paying yourself. If you just use your debit card, you are pissing free money away for nothing.

Plus, it's more safe using a CC online and in some other places. Day one stuff.
Did you ever stop to think why those programs are in place? Perhaps it is because the cash flow the credit card companies make on interest will be greater then the 'rewards' they delve out?

Who knows maybe it's just a big conspiracy to turn a profit by giving their card holders free stuff - no strings attached.

Reaction Score
Did you ever stop to think why those programs are in place? Perhaps it is because the cash flow the credit card companies make on interest will be greater then the 'rewards' they delve out?

That's exactly right. You just have to have the self-discipline to be the one collecting the rewards and not paying the interest.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Who knows maybe it's just a big conspiracy to turn a profit by giving their card holders free stuff - no strings attached.

That's the point. For someone w moderate financial discipline, it is free money. Which is why you should do it. If you use a CC like a debit card and only spend money you have, then you get rewards for the EXACT same spending you would have been doing otherwise. You don't have to pay any interest if you pay your card off every month. There's literally no difference between one or the other, except you get cash back for using the CC. It's a no brainer.

Yes, CC companies make money on those who choose to carry a balance every month, but that's a consumer choice.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Pay my card off every month, even pay a small annual fee on one of my Capitol One cards to get the 2% on everything.
I put most everything on my card. Easy $40K/yr. That would be $800 minus a $60 fee = $740 for free.
The trick is to pay it off every month. If you can't control your spending reasonably well. don't use a credit card. Otherwise, it is great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You beautiful bastard. I need a new phone and only buy them outright. Not even an AT&T customer, but I'm doing this.

Thanks. It's an incredible deal, just make sure you follow the rules. Also, I agree with you that buying outright is the way to go. I have service with Straight Talk, sold by Walmart. It's ATT's network, but only $45/mo for unlimited everything (%GB of LTE Data). I think Straight Talk also offers Verizon's network too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Thanks. It's an incredible deal, just make sure you follow the rules. Also, I agree with you that buying outright is the way to go. I have service with Straight Talk, sold by Walmart. It's ATT's network, but only $45/mo for unlimited everything (%GB of LTE Data). I think Straight Talk also offers Verizon's network too.

That's a pretty good monthly. Does it offer tethering too or no?

I have T-mobile's most cut rate plan. $30/month, unlimited txt, unlimited data (5gb before throttle), but only 100min talk. I rarely talk except on Whatsapp, so not a huge deal. No tethering though.

Reaction Score
Wow! That's a lot of feedback, but I'm just as unsure as was before. Some didn't read my original post, where I said that I pay my balance off in full.

It seems the cash back and points cards have both been recommended. So the question, which one, Discover, Capital One, Chase Sapphire, American Express Blue, etc.?

So which makes makes most sense? Hum...

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Wow! That's a lot of feedback, but I'm just as unsure as was before. Some didn't read my original post, where I said that I pay my balance off in full.

It seems the cash back and points cards have both been recommended. So the question, which one, Discover, Capital One, Chase Sapphire, American Express Blue, etc.?

What do you spend your money on is the key to answering this question?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Do you travel/fly a lot or no? If not, go cash back.

How do you spend monthly? What and where?

Reaction Score

Original post was read.. was simply providing another point of view

Reaction Score
Frank Ivy getting referenced on a thread about credit cards? Somewhere out there in the foothills of Idaho in a snow covered cabin, you better believe he has a eating grin on his face.

Seriously, OP - need more info on you - what are your long term credit goals? Short term credit needs? et cetera

Reaction Score
Been looking through all these cards and investigating. They all have unique benefits. Capital One Venture seems great. We have Sapphire and I asked my wife why she chose Sapphire when Cap One seems slightly better at first glance. She said it is because we got 50k points when we go it and all the points can be used for just about anything points/miles can be used for (like Cap One). However, when you book travel with Chase Ultimate Rewards travel, you get a 20% discount on plane tickets etc. and she has found that on 3 out of 4 of our last trips she saved a ton of money booking through them vs. Travelocity etc. She then used the points to pay for the already discounted tix.

Anyway, we'll be switching to Cap One after we burn up our Chase points. She's a serial credit card shopper. We don't pay actual money for plane tickets very often, which is great with a family of five and a place up north we visit often. However, we (she) spends a lot of money in order to get all those points.

Doing the exact opposite for the same reasoning. Had Capitol One VC but it was just time a new introductory offer. Started using Chase Sapphire while I'm planning on using all the Capitol one points on my honeymoon flights

Reaction Score
That's a pretty good monthly. Does it offer tethering too or no?

I have T-mobile's most cut rate plan. $30/month, unlimited txt, unlimited data (5gb before throttle), but only 100min talk. I rarely talk except on Whatsapp, so not a huge deal. No tethering though.

No tethering, unfortunately. This is my one beef with Straight Talk -- if you're going to give me 5GB, then IMO, it's none of your business how I choose to use it. There may be workarounds, but I don't use one at this time.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My primary card is the Sam's Club MasterCard (used to be Discover). 5% cash back on gas (unless it's BJ's or Costco), 3% on travel, and 1% on everything else. The only thing it costs is the Sam's membership, which I'd be purchasing anyway.

This couldn't be more untrue. Depending on your spending habits having a card with an annual fee might actually be better. Ex. I use to travel for work 2x+ a month and I was allowed to use my personal card to book the travel and then was reimbursed by my company. I have a Hilton AMEX with a $95 fee..in the year I had the card I stayed in enough hotel rooms with all the points i accrued to make it more than worth it.

So your company reimbursed you for the annual fee? If so, that sort of misses the point. You don't actually pay for it. When I traveled for work, I had Silver Elite Status at Marriott. At one point my wife had Platinum. The Firm would pay for the hotel, but the points would come to us and we'd get free nights off the business nights paid by the firm...and still have a zero annual fee credit card.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
My primary card is the Sam's Club MasterCard (used to be Discover). 5% cash back on gas (unless it's BJ's or Costco), 3% on travel, and 1% on everything else. The only thing it costs is the Sam's membership, which I'd be purchasing anyway.

So your company reimbursed you for the annual fee? If so, that sort of misses the point. You don't actually pay for it. When I traveled for work, I had Silver Elite Status at Marriott. At one point my wife had Platinum. The Firm would pay for the hotel, but the points would come to us and we'd get free nights off the business nights paid by the firm...and still have a zero annual fee credit card.

They didn't reimburse for the annual fee they only reimbursed me from my expenses. The math works out to points accrued through the year minus the annual fee, I would always come out ahead versus a card that didn't have a fee. I was getting 10 points/ $1 at Hilton's and Hilton was the preferred hotel of my company.

Reaction Score
Do you travel/fly a lot or no? If not, go cash back.

How do you spend monthly? What and where?
Good questions. I use my Chase SW Rapid Rewards card as much as possible, for things as mundane as groceries, eating out, etc, and on big things like electronics though I don't buy many big ticket items.

As for traveling, it's usually domestic and SW fits the need. But I'm thinking of doing some international travel within the next few years and wouldn't mind points, or whatever, to go towards airfare and maybe even hotel. Though I do own a time share with my brother which I can bank as points or weeks to use for lodging overseas.

I just wonder if it's simply more cost effective to get cash back which can obviously go towards whatever future purchases, compared to earning points that might have restrictions. Also, I've always wondered if these points programs, the points sometimes expire over time.

I don't travel frequently so it's sort of a once or twice a year kind of thing.

I don't know if this information helps, but based on this, what would you recommend? I'm sure we all want to get the best bang for the buck, so what card would have the biggest bang, in light of fees, percentage cash back, points, least restrictions, etc.

Just doesn't seem there is an exact science to all this. Any help in narrowing it down, based on this additional info, is greatly appreciated.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Good questions. I use my Chase SW Rapid Rewards card as much as possible, for things as mundane as groceries, eating out, etc, and on big things like electronics though I don't buy many big ticket items.

As for traveling, it's usually domestic and SW fits the need. But I'm thinking of doing some international travel within the next few years and wouldn't mind points, or whatever, to go towards airfare and maybe even hotel. Though I do own a time share with my brother which I can bank as points or weeks to use for lodging overseas.

I just wonder if it's simply more cost effective to get cash back which can obviously go towards whatever future purchases, compared to earning points that might have restrictions. Also, I've always wondered if these points programs, the points sometimes expire over time.

I don't travel frequently so it's sort of a once or twice a year kind of thing.

I don't know if this information helps, but based on this, what would you recommend? I'm sure we all want to get the best bang for the buck, so what card would have the biggest bang, in light of fees, percentage cash back, points, least restrictions, etc.

Just doesn't seem there is an exact science to all this. Any help in narrowing it down, based on this additional info, is greatly appreciated.

Definitely no exact science. That said, in my unprofessional opinion, there's no reason for you to get a miles rewards card, as you don't fly often enough to warrant it. Might as well collect cashback rewards, instead of accruing miles for some hoped for overseas trip in the future; you would effectively be giving them a no interest loan (via delayed benefits) otherwise. And you have all your domestic miles taken care of with the South West card.

The only other reason to get a foreign travel card would be to get zero foreign transaction fees on your card, but both the SouthWest and Chase cards already has this benefit. I think the SW card has auto travel insurance as well? Check you have both of these benefits to be sure.

Status quo for you imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky