OT: Lashlee to SMU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Lashlee to SMU

Reaction Score
Lack of rivalries is part of the issue. The romance is gone.
I agree, I’m not saying the BE isn’t optimal, I’m saying the lack of success in the AAC is on Ollie

Reaction Score
Thriving? During UConn's worst year in 30 years, they swept SMU. Temple lost to UConn too. Houston has not made the tourney. SMU and Cincy are doing much better than UConn yes, but they too can't make it out of the first weekend.
Not sure what year you would be talking about here. I think UConn has only beaten SMU twice since the beginning of the AAC. Once in 2015 and once in 2016.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Cincy, SMU, Houston... Temple, UCF although are much better teams. And WS comes to the AAC recruiting out of a worse conference. I want the BE back, I miss the rivalries, but blaming the move to the AAC as the reason for the UConn decline only gives Ollie excuses. He’s done a poor job.

Backyard recruiting matters. It mattered in the OBE, matters in the AAC, matters in the NBE, it generally matters in each conference. It's true Calhoun elevated us to nat'l/int'l recruiting status but he built our brand thru local recruits. Just think, relative to modern day recruiting Perno missed w/ Pressley, Jenson, Charles Smith, Jay Murphy to name a few. Coach Calhoun righted the ship w/ major recruits like Chris Smith, Scottie Burrell, Rash Jones and Craig Austrie. His in-state success, whether Southern Connecticut or New England Ct. opened up the recruiting front in the NYC metro area (Tate George, B. Gordon, T. Brown, Kemba, AJ Price) and New England proper w/ Adrien, Oriakhi, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Shabazz, and others. These kids would see Big East hoops on Big Monday, recognize the allure of playing for UConn, playing in a league steeped w/ geographic rivalries, near home where family can come and see you play and look at UConn as a no brainer. This, compared to the AAC which is the old metro and conf. USA coupled with a few other leftover schools. Of course there are schools in the AAC that view their membership as a come-up. Houston and SMU, prior to the AAC, the only thing that came to mind about these schools was Phi Slamma Jamma and the death penalty and maybe the Pony Express backfield. They market the AAC on the back of UConn and can now get kids out of the Houston area. SMU has the upper SW locked up. They get good Dallas kids along with other Texas and Oklahoma kids. The same w/ Cincinnati. They have N. Kentucky, Ohio and other rustbelt locales on lockdown. What has been a boon for some AAC schools sadly has depressed our marketability in our backyard.

Reaction Score
Thriving? During UConn's worst year in 30 years, they swept SMU. Temple lost to UConn too. Houston has not made the tourney. SMU and Cincy are doing much better than UConn yes, but they too can't make it out of the first weekend.
Cincy ranked, WSU ranked, SMU receiving votes and Houston has wins over Wake Forest and Arkansas
SMU receiving votes, Houston has wins I’ve Wake and a ranked Arkansas team, WSU ranked, Cincy ranked.

Right now I would be happy if UConn performed as well as any of these teams.

Reaction Score
Backyard recruiting matters. It mattered in the OBE, matters in the AAC, matters in the NBE, it generally matters in each conference. It's true Calhoun elevated us to nat'l/int'l recruiting status but he built our brand thru local recruits. Just think, relative to modern day recruiting Perno missed w/ Pressley, Jenson, Charles Smith, Jay Murphy to name a few. Coach Calhoun righted the ship w/ major recruits like Chris Smith, Scottie Burrell, Rash Jones and Craig Austrie. His in-state success, whether Southern Connecticut or New England Ct. opened up the recruiting front in the NYC metro area (Tate George, B. Gordon, T. Brown, Kemba, AJ Price) and New England proper w/ Adrien, Oriakhi, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Shabazz, and others. These kids would see Big East hoops on Big Monday, recognize the allure of playing for UConn, playing in a league steeped w/ geographic rivalries, near home where family can come and see you play and look at UConn as a no brainer. This, compared to the AAC which is the old metro and conf. USA coupled with a few other leftover schools. Of course there are schools in the AAC that view their membership as a come-up. Houston and SMU, prior to the AAC, the only thing that came to mind about these schools was Phi Slamma Jamma and the death penalty and maybe the Pony Express backfield. They market the AAC on the back of UConn and can now get kids out of the Houston area. SMU has the upper SW locked up. They get good Dallas kids along with other Texas and Oklahoma kids. The same w/ Cincinnati. They have N. Kentucky, Ohio and other rustbelt locales on lockdown. What has been a boon for some AAC schools sadly has depressed our marketability in our backyard.
I can agree with this. The Calhoun blueprint to get kids can’t apply anymore.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'm tired of basketball fans who won't step foot in the Rent complaining that football is bringing us down. We can't even take care of Columbia or Coppin State in basketball anymore--look in the mirror. The short term future of the basketball program may be more embarrassing than football
We could lose every game for the next two years and still not be as embarrassing as the albatross that is the football program.

Reaction Score
We have one of the worst fanbases in America.
There is a direct correlation between fanbase and team. While I won't argue your point about our fanbase, I will point out that we also field one of the worst teams.

Reaction Score
Not sure what year you would be talking about here. I think UConn has only beaten SMU twice since the beginning of the AAC. Once in 2015 and once in 2016.

Yeah, I meant UCF which was also listed in the teams "thriving."

Reaction Score
Cincy ranked, WSU ranked, SMU receiving votes and Houston has wins over Wake Forest and Arkansas

SMU receiving votes, Houston has wins I’ve Wake and a ranked Arkansas team, WSU ranked, Cincy ranked.

Right now I would be happy if UConn performed as well as any of these teams.

WSU's success has nothing to do with the AAC.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Don’t be as dumb as the idiot millennials.

Jimmy I have no issue with the football team or fans. It’s not my preferred cup of tea. I want football to do well, but when Phil starts saying stuff like our hoops team is more embarrassing to the university you’re going to hear it back because that is patently ludicrous

Reaction Score
Cut football.

Use the savings for KO's buyout and pay top dollar for his replacement.

Convert Burton family football complex into an on campus hockey arena.

#guapoforad
You may be on to something We need an outsider. Maybe make Jay-Z B.B. coach as your first official act. Oh and beer at Gampel

Reaction Score
You may be on to something We need an outsider. Maybe make Jay-Z B.B. coach as your first official act. Oh and beer at Gampel

Hear me out...

Jay-Z for hockey coach.

Reaction Score
WSU's success has nothing to do with the AAC.
Understand, but if the argument is around a bad conference and recruiting, WSU is coming from an even lower conference.

Reaction Score
Seems like football is doing all it can to keep us in the AAC.

Those of you that believe we need football, and it will help us into a P5 conference, why do you think this?

Every passing day the OBE is looking mighty appealing.
Hello ........... We are not going to the P5 ............... The AAC or some form of a G5 conference is our final resting spot. I think the P5 dream (and that's what it is) is really hurting UConn and the fan base. It is time for everyone to accept that we are not going to the P5. We need to improve in football and basketball so we can compete and eventually win the AAC conference. That should be everyone's goal.

Reaction Score
Hear me out...

Jay-Z for hockey coach.
You’re in charge it’s your call. Maybe Taylor Rooks for B.B. She’d be a great recruiter

C

Chief00

Seems like football is doing all it can to keep us in the AAC.

Those of you that believe we need football, and it will help us into a P5 conference, why do you think this?

Every passing day the OBE is looking mighty appealing.

SMU is in the AAC too.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Addressing the post - Lashlee was staying two years at UConn tops. Wife wanted to get back south. Not a huge surprise. He did an excellent job here in one year. The team was exciting to watch and moved the ball well but didn't score enough. As for replacing him I'm don't think DO is the way to go for OC. I could see making DO the QB coach but I'd want someone with college OC experience hopefully running something similar to Lashlee's offense. Feel free resume the mind numbing bickering.

Reaction Score
AD Dave received all the credit for getting Lashlee to come to UConn

Wonder if he’ll take any slack for not retaining him longer than a hear

Probably not, since people think AD is the best one in the history of sports in America...

Reaction Score
AD Dave received all the credit for getting Lashlee to come to UConn

Wonder if he’ll take any slack for not retaining him longer than a hear

Probably not, since people think AD is the best one in the history of sports in America...
I am afraid this is a reaction to news about AD DB that he knows but we don't yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom