OT: Lashlee to SMU | The Boneyard

OT: Lashlee to SMU

Reaction Score
Seems like football is doing all it can to keep us in the AAC.

Those of you that believe we need football, and it will help us into a P5 conference, why do you think this?

Every passing day the OBE is looking mighty appealing.

Reaction Score
Like who?
Cincy, SMU, Houston... Temple, UCF although are much better teams. And WS comes to the AAC recruiting out of a worse conference. I want the BE back, I miss the rivalries, but blaming the move to the AAC as the reason for the UConn decline only gives Ollie excuses. He’s done a poor job.

Reaction Score
Cincy, SMU, Houston... Temple, UCF although are much better teams. And WS comes to the AAC recruiting out of a worse conference. I want the BE back, I miss the rivalries, but blaming the move to the AAC as the reason for the UConn decline only gives Ollie excuses. He’s done a poor job.

All of those teams are irrelevant nationally in basketball. They never do a thing in the tournament.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What has Cinci done OOC or in the tourney? you named teams that do nothing besides win some games in conference. WSU has been consistently good for years. not just because the powerhouses left a conference (UCONN, Cuse, Ville, ND, Pitt, left the big east allowing bottom teams to look ok) and not because they're a decent team in a ok conference

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Seems like football is doing all it can to keep us in the AAC.

Those of you that believe we need football, and it will help us into a P5 conference, why do you think this?

Every passing day the OBE is looking mighty appealing.

I'm tired of basketball fans who won't step foot in the Rent complaining that football is bringing us down. We can't even take care of Columbia or Coppin State in basketball anymore--look in the mirror. The short term future of the basketball program may be more embarrassing than football

Reaction Score
All of those teams are irrelevant nationally in basketball. They never do a thing in the tournament.
Yes, but besides Cincy these teams were not brought in to be basketball schools. They were brought in to be football schools. As athletic departments they hired the right people and raised the bar. These teams have become better over time much better competitive basketball schools, ranked, receiving votes. I’m not arguing with you about going back to the BE, but Ollie is to blame. Not the conference. How does SMU get players? Witchata?

Reaction Score
What has Cinci done OOC or in the tourney? you named teams that do nothing besides win some games in conference. WSU has been consistently good for years. not just because the powerhouses left a conference (UCONN, Cuse, Ville, ND, Pitt, left the big east allowing bottom teams to look ok) and not because they're a decent team in a ok conference

Would yo be upset if UConn were performing as well as Cincy? SMU? Houston? This UConn team is a step above Forham and Hofstra. Not even at the level of Tulsa! Ollie is a total failure! This program has dropped so far down that I doubt they could beat Manhattan

Reaction Score
I'm tired of basketball fans who won't step foot in the Rent complaining that football is bringing us down. We can't even take care of Columbia or Coppin State in basketball anymore--look in the mirror. The short term future of the basketball program may be more embarrassing than football

I love UConn football and want nothing more than for it to win.

But, if you asked me to choose between what's best for the basketball program and what's best for the football program, I'm choosing basketball. Every. Single. Time.

We are a basketball school in a football conference in a state and region that cares very little for college football.

That makes very little sense.

It is what it is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cut football.
Use the savings for KO's buyout and pay top dollar for his replacement.
Convert Burton family football complex into an on campus hockey arena.
Sounds crazy but it just might work.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
"The real tipping point for us abolishing our football program that we recently spent hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade to the FBS level was when we lost our offensive coordinator to another school".

Seems logical.

Reaction Score
"The real tipping point for us abolishing our football program that we recently spent hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade to the FBS level was when we lost our offensive coordinator to another school".

Seems logical.

What has our ROI been?

Reaction Score

Wow, Football posters coming over here to argue who is more inept. If you read a bit here you'll see that most posters who have rational thoughts don't solely blame football for these past couple basketball seasons. The realignment hurt both major men's programs but we stayed put. Uconn didn't join this conference, we just didn't get a better offer. Football regaining some respect is the way out of the conference, a true PG and renewed coaching is the way out of our current basketball funk. Neither getting resolved today. So just continue chaos I guess.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The basketball program is 7-7 coming off another loss to Tulsa (where it is now 0-4) and owns an 0-2 conference record. The team is well on its way to its second losing season in a row and has lost the conference opener 3 of the 4 years the AAC has existed.

The football team was 3-9 and has made 1 bowl game since the Fiesta Bowl in 2011. We've been pasted by Buffalo, Towson, Missouri, and everyone in between for the last 6 years.

I think both programs suck about equally as bad.

Reaction Score
Football's always been the problem. That and people's outstretched expectations of what UConn could be nationally.

What everyone is afraid UConn hoops could become is actually what football is - which is a stopping point between an establishment level job and the big payday that will probably never take off - and is a bigger suck on resources. If you can't convince an assistant to stay an assistant at your school instead of going somewhere else... in your own conference... Why are we even doing this? The Big East has quietly expressed interest. Revenues in hoops are dropping off the table because we insist on being a basketball school in a football conference. The ROI on football so far is a joke given the big picture. The Big East money isn't the other P5 conference's payouts, but it's twice what we're getting now, there's history and anyone who's totally convinced that NOT being in the Big East is a total and complete scar on the psyche of your every day fans is too close to the forest to see through the trees.

Get me out of here. Honestly. Just read the writing on the wall.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Football's always been the problem. That and people's outstretched expectations of what UConn could be nationally.

What everyone is afraid UConn hoops could become is actually what football is - and is a bigger suck on resources. If you can't convince an assistant to stay an assistant at your school instead of going somewhere else... in your own conference... Why are we even doing this? The Big East has quietly expressed interest. Revenues in hoops are dropping off the table because we insist on being a basketball school in a football conference.

Get me out of here. Honestly. Just read the writing on the wall.

Football has always been the problem?

Remind me again about how UConn has put up multiple 24 win seasons in the AAC and gotten screwed by the selection committee.

Reaction Score
Football has always been the problem?

Remind me again about how UConn has put up multiple 24 win seasons in the AAC and gotten screwed by the selection committee.

Yes, the Bubbas are more the problem historically.

Right now, they're not even interested in what we're doing. So they're not the problem.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The basketball program is 7-7 coming off another loss to Tulsa (where it is now 0-4) and owns an 0-2 conference record. The team is well on its way to its second losing season in a row and has lost the conference opener 3 of the 4 years the AAC has existed.

The football team was 3-9 and has made 1 bowl game since the Fiesta Bowl in 2011. We've been pasted by Buffalo, Towson, Missouri, and everyone in between for the last 6 years.

I think both programs suck about equally as bad.
Football is worse. Just look the grown men wringing their hands at losing the OC on a 3 win team. Three wins and he's the second coming of Bill Walsh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom