OT: Landon Donovan | The Boneyard

OT: Landon Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I find it puzzling too. Sounds like a coach's ego may be involved, but I'll wait for the results. Coach K has a pretty good record and I like how we've played.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Definitely a statement being made here. Yedlin??!!

We need to hear more.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
not surprised, yes he's experienced but he's past his prime and can't go hard for a full 90... need to let younger players get the experience... the US needs to start finding players who are technical, not generic players but i think as a whole they're moving that way... minus what is happening in Brasil/FIFA I am really looking forward to the world cup

Reaction Score
Did you see him in the last friendly? He looked borderline fat. Still surprised he got dropped but he definitely is dinged up and not in good shape.

Reaction Score
not surprised. not near a TV, but imagine Lalas is ragging for Klinsmann, just like he does before every game.

Reaction Score
Arguably the best player in US history.
It's signals the end of one error and hopefully the dawning of a greater one.

Reaction Score
I'm absolutely shocked- not so much by Klinsmann's decision, since it seemed he was irritated by Donovan's leave of absence from the team a little while back, but the simple fact that Donovan's is just 32 and he's the arguably still the best player on the team

I must say I think it's a horrible, horrible decision.

He is the only player who can change a game on his own with his pace, skills, and experience.

Oh well, I was looking forward to watching him play, and I really think this is a bad move, but I'll still be pulling hard for the guys to get through.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's clearly lost a step and his touch looked horrible in the last friendly, but c'mon. Some of those tomato cans are either not ready for prime time or never will be. If we end up tied with Ghana or down 1 to Portugal in the 70th minute, the regret will be hanging over the stadium like the humidity.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The only and I mean only reason is thinking Dempsey is going full 90's, he wasn't going to play them together at forward and felt LD couldn't keep up the full field defense on the wing in the presumed weather conditions.

So basically, Clint and Bradley better be at the top of their games and not accumulate cards.

Reaction Score
What has he done in World Cup in the past to deserve a spot on his downslope?

I follow international not mls. But if your just talking World Cup he's one of the most decorated Americans to ever play on the team. His name and hype alone bring people to watch the games. He was a kickstarter in a new era, and his experience for the USA is unmatched. But like I said in between world cups he's off my radar so if he's running half miles while eating doughnuts that's news to me.

Reaction Score
I'm absolutely shocked- not so much by Klinsmann's decision, since it seemed he was irritated by Donovan's leave of absence from the team a little while back, but the simple fact that Donovan's is just 32 and he's the arguably still the best player on the team.
would love to hear this argument.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
would love to hear this argument.

He's not.

Bradley is the clear #1
Howard is the clear #2
Dempsey is the clear #3
Donovan is #4 just ahead of Zusi, Altidore, Johnson, Besler, and Jones

Johannsson is young, but I like his future.
No one else is worth all that much.

So, if the question is why did JK leave his 4th best player off the squad, the answer is I don't know, but if I had to guess I would say JK has specific roles in mind for each position (very german of him) and LD doesn't fit the two way role on the wing or the killer instinct in front of goal. He was always more playmaker than true goal scorer. If it were me, he's be on the team starting at LM or offensive sub at whatever spot is the best match up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
not surprised. not near a TV, but imagine Lalas is ragging for Klinsmann, just like he does before every game.

Most annoying guy associated with American soccer. Although, I'll give him credit, somehow he managed to turn a bright carrot top afro into a lucrative career. Certainly wasn't his ability on the pitch.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm absolutely shocked- not so much by Klinsmann's decision, since it seemed he was irritated by Donovan's leave of absence from the team a little while back, but the simple fact that Donovan's is just 32 and he's the arguably still the best player on the team

He is the only player who can change a game on his own with his pace, skills, and experience.

Oh well, I was looking forward to watching him play, and I really think this is a bad move, but I'll still be pulling hard for the guys to get through.

32 is pretty old for a forward. Especially one with as much mileage on the tread. He's also dinged up right now. The guy's barely been around for a while now. I can't same I'm not surprised, but I'm not totally shocked either.

Klinsmann considers him only a forward, so his competition for spots was: Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Aron Johannsson and Chris Wondolowski.

For what it's worth, I'd have preferred him on the team.

Reaction Score
surprised but not surprised, thought he would be a good sub but what the hell. This is the team ,Lando is the only real snub in my book, and glad to see Evans will not be on swivel against Ronaldo, which I feared would happen.

On to Brazil and do work boys!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
not surprised, yes he's experienced but he's past his prime and can't go hard for a full 90... need to let younger players get the experience... the US needs to start finding players who are technical, not generic players but i think as a whole they're moving that way... minus what is happening in Brasil/FIFA I am really looking forward to the world cup

You don't need him for 90 - 15 at most. He knows how to find the back of the net and has the history to back it up. This is what happens when as a "federation" you try to attract an international coach who uses his position to punish players who may have spurned offers in the past. JK is using the experience to find talented young Americans to play in the BL. I for one along with many other longtime soccer coaches have expressed concern on naming JK as the national coach - the US is full of coaches capable of leading the team. It's difficult to bring the german style of play and translate it to those who do not play tactically in that mindset. It's an inherited style much like forcing a 1990's Red Sox team to become a spray hitting base stealing club. JK is a great soccer person but not ideal for the national team, in my opinion.
In the end, I hope he proves me wrong!!!!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Jurgen is ice cold. This feels like a "building toward 2018" type thing.
15 of the 23 playrs on the roster will be over 30 by the time 2018 comes.

This feels like "I'm a panicked cluefuck" type thing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You don't need him for 90 - 15 at most. He knows how to find the back of the net and has the history to back it up. This is what happens when as a "federation" you try to attract an international coach who uses his position to punish players who may have spurned offers in the past. JK is using the experience to find talented young Americans to play in the BL. I for one along with many other longtime soccer coaches have expressed concern on naming JK as the national coach - the US is full of coaches capable of leading the team. It's difficult to bring the german style of play and translate it to those who do not play tactically in that mindset. It's an inherited style much like forcing a 1990's Red Sox team to become a spray hitting base stealing club. JK is a great soccer person but not ideal for the national team, in my opinion.
In the end, I hope he proves me wrong!!!!

If the US never altered from their previous mindset/tactics, it would never progress internationally in soccer. The game needs to evolve in this country, not stay static. We need players who can adjust to playing superior soccer tactics. The American style doesn't work (certainly not consistently) at the top level.

"JK is using the experience to find talented young Americans to play in the BL. "
I would hope so. We need more guys over in Europe, not less.

Again, I would have put him on the team.

Reaction Score

Utterly ridiculous decision. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01