OT Laettner in tv commercial | The Boneyard

OT Laettner in tv commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How is this guy getting paid to be on tv after fellow players and other is beyond me. Who made that decision? Wrong, just wrong!

Reaction Score
A lot has been written about his financial jams.

But as I was watching the Buffalo-WV game the other day, they kept mentioning a UB player who graduated from Laettner's HS here in Buffalo, and of course the Hurley/Laettner connection. The funny thing is that this school has a gymnasium named after Laettner, but because he never came through with the payments, the parents call it, instead of the Laettner Gym, the Laet Gym.

Reaction Score
A lot has been written about his financial jams.

But as I was watching the Buffalo-WV game the other day, they kept mentioning a UB player who graduated from Laettner's HS here in Buffalo, and of course the Hurley/Laettner connection. The funny thing is that this school has a gymnasium named after Laettner, but because he never came through with the payments, the parents call it, instead of the Laettner Gym, the Laet Gym.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How does he rate getting in that commercial?

It's Shaq, Dr. J, Clyde Drexler and an NBA scrub who has made post-hoop career out of bilking friends and family.

Who's behind the Laettner reclamation project? He gets a 30 for 30 that could not be more white-washy about his troubles and he's starring in a national commercial with a few all-time NBA greats despite not being even an all-time NBA sorta decent player. I'll bet cash he ends up behind a desk at ESPN before this is all over.

And what kind of life skills did K impart on that team back in the day?

Davis and Laettner lost bazillions on real estate and Bobby Hurley lost all his money buying freaking horses.

Reaction Score
How does he rate getting in that commercial?

It's Shaq, Dr. J, Clyde Drexler and an NBA scrub who has made post-hoop career out of bilking friends and family.

Who's behind the Laettner reclamation project? He gets a 30 for 30 that could not be more white-washy about his troubles and he's starring in a national commercial with a few all-time NBA greats despite not being even an all-time NBA sorta decent player. I'll bet cash he ends up behind a desk at ESPN before this is all over.

And what kind of life skills did K impart on that team back in the day?

Davis and Laettner lost bazillions on real estate and Bobby Hurley lost all his money buying freaking horses.

The same Jim Calhoun gave Tate George and Eric Hayward?

Reaction Score
How else are we going to know which team will use a lottery pick on bridah?
Well, obviously we wait for the lottery selection show. Who ever wins the lottery is the team that gets Brimah. Hey, I can do scrappy's job!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
That commercial would be far more effective if Rod Sellers came in the room, flipped him off that stupid hammock and banged his head against the floor. The way it is now you can't even remember what company it's a commercial for.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
How does he rate getting in that commercial?.

Definitely had something to do with his 30 for 30....and momentarily getting a national spotlight. We saw the same thing with Brian Bosworth-> 30 for 30 and a national Dish Network Commercial. Marketing firms are just trying to double down.

Reaction Score
Laettner is both famous and infamous. Come tourney time, there is no bigger college star to the over 30 crowd. I notice him in the commercials and immediately start paying attention just out of curiosity and nostalgia. Doesn't mean I like him, but I'm watching and listening. That s saying something, because I don't think too many upper income 30-50 year old men pay any attention to commercials anymore.

Reaction Score
I agree its grabbing your attention but its also due to thinking; "What the frek is going on" with him suddenly in the spotlight?
Trying to look on the bright side I'm literally thinking during the commercial that I hope his payday is helping reimburse someone he screwed. Meanwhile I don't know what those commercials are for.

Chrissy clearly doesn't belong in the group, but I can't pretend I'm shocked to see The Glide & DoctorJ were available

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We're saying Laettner doesn't belong in a commercial running during the NCAA tournament that features great players of the past? It's not running during the NBA finals.
I feel the same way about Laettner as any sentient human being but the guy was an all-time great in college.

Reaction Score
We're saying Laettner doesn't belong in a commercial running during the NCAA tournament that features great players of the past? It's not running during the NBA finals.
I feel the same way about Laettner as any sentient human being but the guy was an all-time great in college.
He's not in the ad with Danny Manning, Bobby Hurley, Adam Morrison, Bo Kimble & Miles Simon - every other dude is not only a Hall of Fame player but arguably (only cuz of Drexler, otherwise no argument & top 10) top 20 NBA players of all time.

This shouldn't need to be explained on basketball board, but none of those other dudes won NCAA titles and here it is in #s
Rank, Player, Points
#6 all time NBA Scorer, Dr J 30,026pts
#8, Shaq, 28,956pts
#34 Clyde Drexler, 22,195pts
#>250th, Christian Laettner, 11,121

You don't think its little weird that the guy has been a ghost for the past 10 years (especially if you gave him money) and is suddenly starring in a documentary and ubiquitous TV spot?!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
He's not in the ad with Danny Manning, Bobby Hurley, Adam Morrison, Bo Kimble & Miles Simon - every other dude is not only a Hall of Fame player but arguably (only cuz of Drexler, otherwise no argument & top 10) top 20 NBA players of all time.

This shouldn't need to be explained on basketball board, but none of those other dudes won NCAA titles and here it is in #s
Rank, Player, Points
#6 all time NBA Scorer, Dr J 30,026pts
#8, Shaq, 28,956pts
#34 Clyde Drexler, 22,195pts
#>250th, Christian Laettner, 11,121

You don't think its little weird that the guy has been a ghost for the past 10 years (especially if you gave him money) and is suddenly starring in a documentary and ubiquitous TV spot?!
Thank you for the history lesson.
I have no idea why he's suddenly visible. But it's an ad during the NCAAs, and he's a recognizable NCAA great. NBA achievement is irrelevant. If anything Shaq shouldn't be in there, but they're not teaching history, they're making a commercial.

Reaction Score
OK, next year, Laettner stars with Khalid, Mateen Cleaves, Miles Simon, and Pervis Ellison. We good?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Laettner is both famous and infamous. Come tourney time, there is no bigger college star to the over 30 crowd. I notice him in the commercials and immediately start paying attention just out of curiosity and nostalgia. Doesn't mean I like him, but I'm watching and listening. That s saying something, because I don't think too many upper income 30-50 year old men pay any attention to commercials anymore.
I guess I'm in the over 50 crowd who never paid attention to commercials.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm with ya Inyatkin. He was great for 4 years in college and he was controversial. Love him or hate him (me), everyone had an opinion. The same cannot be said for Khalid, Mateen, Miles and "Never Nervous" Pervis. I'm not sure who else fits in his category since rarely are players so good for 4 years.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the history lesson.
I have no idea why he's suddenly visible. But it's an ad during the NCAAs, and he's a recognizable NCAA great. NBA achievement is irrelevant. If anything Shaq shouldn't be in there, but they're not teaching history, they're making a commercial.
OK, its like they put 3 apples and an orange in a commercial & you are arguing they are all fruit.

Probably I'm too close to my kids identifying which thing is not like the other.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guarantee you that the vast majority of basketball fans who watch that commercial are thinking one of two things; 1) Who the hell is that, or 2) I had no idea Bill Simmons was so tall.

Reaction Score
First time I saw it with the side angle of him on the hammock I definitely thought it was Simmons.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I guarantee you that the vast majority of basketball fans who watch that commercial are thinking one of two things; 1) Who the hell is that, or 2) I had no idea Bill Simmons was so tall.
I will admit that I had to see the thing three times before I figured out who was in it. Shaq and the good Doctor, that was easy, first go around. The second time I said oh it's Drexler. It wasn't until the 4th time that I realized it was Laettner, and then like others I asked, why him? I also usually mute the commercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom