OT: Kobe ripping AAU saying Euro players more skilled | The Boneyard

OT: Kobe ripping AAU saying Euro players more skilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he makes some good points. Even on this board we talk a lot about players NBA potential dismissing their current skill sets. He is ripping the lack of fundamentals of young players. Kobe did have some Euro ball experience as a young kid, and of course an NBA father so he had some 'old school' teaching.

He's a senior spokesman so maybe it will gain traction, even if for discussions: linky

Personally I don't see it being fixed and it's a reason I'm not too interested in the NBA product.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
To translate: Kobe's pissed that too many players are like him. He prefers deference.

Reaction Score
This coming from the guy who is shooting 37% from the field.

Reaction Score
Yeah, because there are never any European busts...l

I doubt that's the point. I guess it more "Can you imagine some of our kids who don't go to college too long, playing as fundamentally sound as the Euro's with their athletic, skill set"?

And it's true. Many of the Euro's don't make it for a few reasons but most of all the speed of the game. But they do know how to play for sure.

Look at Niels from his frosh year to Senior. I mean the good news is the kid who stays longer and is coached by an Ollie, Donovan, Izzo etc get better. The bad news is they aren't the kids who's only reason to go to college is because they can't go directly to the NBA, so they aren't quite as naturally gifted. But they certainly learn more than those others.

Reaction Score
Maybe if the NBA didn't take our kids right out of high school or one year
of college experience they would be more fundamentally sound, you think?
I believe they would have much better fundamentals if they had 3-4 years
of college with a decent college coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Maybe if the NBA didn't take our kids right out of high school or one year
of college experience they would be more fundamentally sound, you think?
I believe they would have much better fundamentals if they had 3-4 years
of college with a decent college coaching staff.

Bingo. But therein lies the problem also. The AAU coaches and handlers all have their minds on the big picture for their kids as well as now many of the parents. This in turn doesn't bode well for kids actually thinking of doing the academic work they need to stay in school, most are one foot out the door as soon as they get there. Making kids stay a minimum of 2-3 years would be a start but it will never happen because of the NBA's greed!

Reaction Score
AAU games are glorified pick-up games with minimal defense just to showcase the top players on the court. When i played AAU we had a PG with D1 talent and the offense consisted of dribble isolation with the 2-4 spread in the corners for the rare dish out and the 5 (me) on the opposite block ready to set screens. Sure it gets the best players noticed but is detrimental to their future basketball IQ.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
AAU games are glorified pick-up games with minimal defense just to showcase the top players on the court. When i played AAU we had a PG with D1 talent and the offense consisted of dribble isolation with the 2-4 spread in the corners for the rare dish out and the 5 (me) on the opposite block ready to set screens. Sure it gets the best players noticed but is detrimental to their future basketball IQ.

I hope this doesn't start an avalanche of Matt Groening-avatared posters telling about their AAU experience.

Reaction Score
I remember playing pick up basketball in highschool. Whenever I was on the same team as someone really good we pretty much just let them shoot and rebounded if they missed. I really feel like this hurt my developement as a player. If I had played in a more structured environment somewhere out of the country I feel like I could have made the NBA and probably become a perennial All Star player. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom