OT Knicks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Knicks

Reaction Score
this is a good post.

I wasn’t a toppin fan for a few reasons, and a big Halliburton fan for others.

but yeah, no one thought randle would be part of a plan to build around

Pretty crazy to think that Randle was the one who was looked at as a trade piece, now you gotta work out an extension, have a ton of cap space. He's only 25 has a bit of that Kobe DNA.

Needless to say J Boogie has a whole different tune on Randle now

Reaction Score
Team after team passed on anyone we would’ve taken at that spot. Obi was a fine pick at that spot, and calling him a bust this early is ridiculous. You know who else they called a bust? Julius Randle

In Randle's first season he averaged 11 & 10 as a 21-year-old coming off of missing a year from a major leg injury. He and Obi aren't comparable.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
basketball not baseball
Not sure i follow. Either OT is here or it’s not...this his clearly a professional topic and there is a pro board. We also have a thread on Doces on Decks.

What I am asking is what are the rules. Seems more like moderator preference than anything.

Reaction Score
Toppin looked good today.

Hes looked better of late I think it has to do with Rose getting him involved. If he can get going the Knicks will be a scary team.

Reaction Score
In Randle's first season he averaged 11 & 10 as a 21-year-old coming off of missing a year from a major leg injury. He and Obi aren't comparable.
There’s no such thing as a direct comparison. The point is making a definitive statement on someone’s career after their 1st season is idiotic. No one should be declared a bust after their first season in the league

Reaction Score
There’s no such thing as a direct comparison. The point is making a definitive statement on someone’s career after their 1st season is idiotic. No one should be declared a bust after their first season in the league

First off, I didn't call him a bust. Can he still become a role player? Sure, teach anyone to shoot in this day and age and they'll hang around the league. If Brook Lopez turned into a great 3PT shooter I believe nearly anyone can. I didn't like the pick at the time and I still don't like it.

Look at lottery picks over the last two decades who were 23 years old in their rookie season and turned into anything beyond a journeyman. It's basically Buddy Hield and that's it. I'm more concerned with how lost he looks at 23, how uncomfortable he looks on the court, with the speed of the game. He reminds me of Frank in that regard.

Reaction Score
First off, I didn't call him a bust. Can he still become a role player? Sure, teach anyone to shoot in this day and age and they'll hang around the league. If Brook Lopez turned into a great 3PT shooter I believe nearly anyone can. I didn't like the pick at the time and I still don't like it.

Look at lottery picks over the last two decades who were 23 years old in their rookie season and turned into anything beyond a journeyman. It's basically Buddy Hield and that's it. I'm more concerned with how lost he looks at 23, how uncomfortable he looks on the court, with the speed of the game. He reminds me of Frank in that regard.
I didn’t say you called him a bust. My original response was to someone who did. Also the game will slow down for him, it already has. He most definitely progressed. The numbers people care to look at just haven’t reflected that yet. He’s a humble kid and by all reports a hard worker. His entire sports career he’s been a late bloomer. That could very much well be the case again. A 6’9 guy who is athletic and can shoot will find a role. He’s made leaps and bounds defensively already under thibs. Patience is important here. Frank is getting close to being a certified bust

Reaction Score
I didn’t say you called him a bust. My original response was to someone who did. Also the game will slow down for him, it already has. He most definitely progressed. The numbers people care to look at just haven’t reflected that yet. He’s a humble kid and by all reports a hard worker. His entire sports career he’s been a late bloomer. That could very much well be the case again. A 6’9 guy who is athletic and can shoot will find a role. He’s made leaps and bounds defensively already under thibs. Patience is important here. Frank is getting close to being a certified bust

Looks like hes starting to get a connection with Rose, had 9 pts the other night. I feel he just needs that thunderous dunk at MSG to get the fans out of their seats. Monday night should be fun.

First 5 minutes are must watch, they got this guy on after every game, unreal passion.

Reaction Score
Guess I'll have to check it out. Last time I said that was during Linsanity and the Knicks promptly dropped the ball on that.

They've honestly gone through a "rebuild" three or four times now and then gave up in the middle of it and started over. However good they may be doing right now, I have zero faith that management can translate that into long term success.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Guess I'll have to check it out. Last time I said that was during Linsanity and the Knicks promptly dropped the ball on that.

They've honestly gone through a "rebuild" three or four times now and then gave up in the middle of it and started over. However good they may be doing right now, I have zero faith that management can translate that into long term success.
Barrett and quickly seem like really solid building blocks.

this is the wrong summer for massive cap space though. And then they’ll need to pay randle.

having Haliburton in place instead of toppin would’ve been really interesting.

Reaction Score

Just a warning, they are a bit of paper tiger this season, but the future is exciting. They've been a fun regular season team and a great story but this team isn't getting past the ECSF. It is remarkable what Thibs is doing with a mediocre roster (that's probably putting it too kindly). I'd assume Synder or Monty Williams will lock up COTY but Thibs deserves it--he's doing way more with way less...
  • The backcourt is made up of Elfrid Payton--who is bad but immune from being pulled from the rotation--and the shell of D-Rose. Quickley is fun and has a huge impact on some games.
  • Burks and Bullock are journeymen, run-of-the-mill 3 & D guys.
  • The rotation at the 5 during this great run is Nerlens Noel, Old Man Gibson, and Norvel Pelle.
Randle has been All-NBA-worthy this season and Barrett has made awesome strides, but I can't tell you who the third-best player on this team is. I'm worried that this team is the classic regular season. They play defense with playoff intensity all regular season, while their opponents aren't going to up the effort there until the postseason.

Vegas' win total had them at 21.5. They might hit 40 wins. Some publications picked them to be the worst team in the league, many previews had them winning fewer than 20 games, and I agreed. I love that we still get examples here and there of coaching unequivocally making a huge difference in the NBA.

Reaction Score

Good signing low risk, I prefer taking this guy vs over paying for Lonzo Ball, if he pans out. Nice to have a competent front office for once.

Reaction Score
Strange day at MSG. Knicks make a smart signing and get a solid backup PG for next season and Dolan puts his fingerprints all over the Rangers

Curiouser
Reaction Score
DCCCBB6D-8878-49F7-8CAE-0F2C492A8AA8.jpeg

Reaction Score
Let’s Go Knicks! We’re cooking some Lakers tonight

Reaction Score
Randle has been All-NBA-worthy this season and Barrett has made awesome strides, but I can't tell you who the third-best player on this team is.
idk about this year but if they make it to the second round that's all anyone would ask for.

i think mitchell robinson was leading the league in some combo of FG% and blocks last year. between him, randle, and barrett they have a nice young frontcourt. with 50 mill in cap space and a stabilized front office they might finally be attractive enough to land an all-star G

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the most exciting the Knicks have been since the Melo/Chandler/Amar'e years (the last season I've a Knicks game live).

I haven't watched the regular season but will definitely watch the playoffs.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom