OT: Kinda.... Mention of Memphis and Cinci B12 | The Boneyard

OT: Kinda.... Mention of Memphis and Cinci B12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know these posts have been in conference realignment but its been slow around here and this is pretty big if true.... I had thought Uconn was being mentioned as a possible option for Big12

http://www.espn929.com/pages/20457311.php

BTW this is on the conf realignment which seems like many don't look at anymore... but if this needs to be merged thats fine.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What, Tulsa said no?

Memphis. Memphis? MEMPHIS?? FAHQING MEMPHIS?!?!?!

If this is even remotely true, it just goes to show you how much magic one winning football season has on CR.

This would kick every UCONN fan square in the nuts...so it's got to be true, right?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How is this any different than a Tennessee version of Scott Gray (Now I have to post the same thread on the 14 other boards :rolleyes:)?

Reaction Score
Can't wait till we have one decent year and everyone says we're going to the SEC.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I have always thought Cincy is a goner to big 12, but thought UCF would be their partner. And most believe the B12 has to get the ball rolling asap.
But Memphis? Big money Memphis Fed Ex Fred, nice hoop arena and Liberty Bowl I guess cures all ills.

Reaction Score
If this is true, which I personally believe it is because the only conference that's in need to expand is the Big 12, Warde Manuel needs to push UConn into the discussion. Heck, Burton should pull out his check book.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The Baylor/TCU controversy pretty much locks it up that they need a title game. It's happening. I am now nauseated and feel like barfing up my egg salad. Damn BY at lunch is evil.

Reaction Score
Memphis won the AAC, but UConn Men's and Women's basketball won more National Championships in the last 15 years than any other team in the country. In the COUNTRY! That should say something to these conferences. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
The Baylor/TCU controversy pretty much locks it up that they need a title game. It's happening. I am now nauseated and feel like barfing up my egg salad. Damn BY at lunch is evil.

Actually if things fall the right way tonight and tomorrow the fact that they don't have a title game could work in their favor. They're the only conference that has the chance to get two teams in the playoff.

Reaction Score
Geographically it makes 0 sense for us to be in the Big 12. I'd be quite happy with it, but would not expect them to want us.

I personally do not care about geographic. I just want to get the hell out of this conference. I think It can work with Cincinnati and West Virginia not being that far from UConn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm with Dooley in the sense that I will completely give up college sports altogether. I've been fairly close for a while now. This would be it for me. I'd be done.
I have found myself only watching UConn this season. I'm not sure I've seen one full game in the aggregate involving all 119 other teams.

Reaction Score
I have found myself only watching UConn this season. I'm not sure I've seen one full game in the aggregate involving all 119 other teams.

I admit that I was one of those that used to root Big East in general, so I'd stop flipping the channel at games involving Big East vs OOC. With these new teams I just don't care anymore, plus I'm still trying to figure out who's in our conference in the first place.

Reaction Score
Well, that would take care of the American having competitive basketball that's for sure. Doomed.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm with Dooley in the sense that I will completely give up college sports altogether. I've been fairly close for a while now. This would be it for me. I'd be done.
I'm in the same boat. If we get passed over for Memphis I am done with college sports. I got the MD and RU moves because of population and TV. Memphis makes zero sense. Always figured Cincy would be B12 bound but not Memphis. We aren't a geographic fit but neither was WVU when they went. Just sucks if true

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Memphis won the AAC, but UConn Men's and Women's basketball won more National Championships in the last 15 years than any other team in the country. In the COUNTRY! That should say something to these conferences. I don't get it.

CR is 100% football-driven. People who believe otherwise are trying to cling to hope that isn't there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
CR is 100% football-driven. People who believe otherwise are trying to cling to hope that isn't there.
Agreed but how can someone take Memphis based on this logic? They had one good season. Coach is likely gone after this season. They aren't a football asset at all.

So if we turn it around next year we should be looking at a B1G invite?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Agreed but how can someone take Memphis based on this logic? They had one good season. Coach is likely gone after this season. They aren't a football asset at all.

So if we turn it around next year we should be looking at a B1G invite?

Their play this year gives them more concrete evidence in their favor than we have. Sure UCONN may be better positioned for long-term success, but until it's proven on the field that's just conjecture.

If the B1G were openly looking to expand à la Big 12, then yeah it would actually help a ton. If there are any traction to these Memphis rumors, then it's simply the perfect storm/being in the right place at the right time.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Memphis is a top 50 tv market

Memphis gives a foothold into SEC recruiting territory

NBA basketball facility, recently upgraded 59,000 seat football stadium

Massive influx of FedEx money into the program

But that said, I like being stuck with you guys no matter how much consternation and hand wringing comes from the UConn fans...

The AAC has a LOT of potential.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

But that said, I like being stuck with you guys no matter how much consternation and hand wringing comes from the UConn fans...

Not that I agree with the pitchfork-carrying horde that will come after you thanks to that last line, but...you're just setting yourself up to be bashed dude.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Not that I agree with the pitchfork-carrying horde that will come after you thanks to that last line, but...you're just setting yourself up to be bashed dude.

I don't mind :)

Reaction Score
As much as I hate to say it, Memphis and Cincy makes a lot of sense from a geographic standpoint, and with an updated conference, neither team would have problem filling an NFL stadium in Cincy, or the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

What scares me even more, I would not be surprised if UCF and ECU become next expansion candidates........both have rabid fan bases, fertile recruiting grounds, and are WINNERS in FB. I'd like to see AAC conference members do good in post season play.....but they would add more credibility to their programs as opposed to the AAC.

In the meantime, husky nation does not have a plethora of donors stepping up to fund a stadium expansion. But that is understandable, I guess, with the program doing nothing to enhance donor interest.

This revelation about Cincy and Memphis certainly will set back my recovery.

Reaction Score
If the B1G invited UConn today, UConn could use MetLife and/or Gillette for Michigan St, Ohio St etc. the same as Cincinnati can use Paul Brown in a pinch. Games with Indiana, Purdue, Iowa can be at the Rent until the money comes in to expand it to the 50K to 60K range within the next 5 to 7 years and I believe the money would be there.

Reaction Score

Not to mention anytime you can pick up the third best athletic program in Tennesse you freaking do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom