OT: Kinda.... Mention of Memphis and Cinci B12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Kinda.... Mention of Memphis and Cinci B12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A meaningless December game in the rain between two losing teams with conference realignment rumors that don’t involve us swirling about. Good God.

Reaction Score
If this is true, which I personally believe it is because the only conference that's in need to expand is the Big 12, Warde Manuel needs to push UConn into the discussion. Heck, Burton should pull out his check book.

Booze! Lots and lots of booze! Address it to the University of Texas-Austin, and then Warde and/or Burton should fly down there and drink it all with the brass at UT. That's how you get a Big 12 invite!

Reaction Score
Not to mention anytime you can pick up the third best athletic program in Tennesse you freaking do it!

Actually, based on historical winning percentage in football, Memphis, at .490, is behind legendary Middle Tennessee State at .580 (Go Blue Raiders!), so Memphis would be the 4th best program in the state 0f Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I have found myself only watching UConn this season. I'm not sure I've seen one full game in the aggregate involving all 119 other teams.

I only watch SEC games if UCONN isn't playing. Even then, it's not something I seek out. If I happen to stumble upon it, I'll watch it.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Not to mention anytime you can pick up the third best athletic program in Tennesse you freaking do it!

Wait, we could add Vandy? Pull the damn trigger!

Reaction Score
If the B1G invited UConn today, UConn could use MetLife and/or Gillette for Michigan St, Ohio St etc. the same as Cincinnati can use Paul Brown in a pinch. Games with Indiana, Purdue, Iowa can be at the Rent until the money comes in to expand it to the 50K to 60K range within the next 5 to 7 years and I believe the money would be there.

I believe B1G is best fit for UConn and will happen if UConn continues to make academic progress.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Actually, based on historical winning percentage in football, Memphis, at .490, is behind legendary Middle Tennessee State at .580 (Go Blue Raiders!), so Memphis would be the 4th best program in the state 0f Tennessee.

Memphis 36
MTSU 17

image_zpsd11f4861.jpg

Reaction Score
If the B1G invited UConn today, UConn could use MetLife and/or Gillette for Michigan St, Ohio St etc. the same as Cincinnati can use Paul Brown in a pinch. Games with Indiana, Purdue, Iowa can be at the Rent until the money comes in to expand it to the 50K to 60K range within the next 5 to 7 years and I believe the money would be there.

I have said this many times:

The money is there for expansion of the RENT. The hold-up, IMHO, is the Public Perception. They want sell-outs and use. The refinance of the current bonds, given revenue projections and lower interest rates, would easily draw the proceeds necessary to get to 50-55,000. We have ALWAYS been in a better position than Louisville and Rutgers on this. The original bonds, done through a Public Authority, have great capacity for far more proceeds given current markets.

Reaction Score
As much as I hate to say it, Memphis and Cincy makes a lot of sense from a geographic standpoint, and with an updated conference, neither team would have problem filling an NFL stadium in Cincy, or the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.

What scares me even more, I would not be surprised if UCF and ECU become next expansion candidates...both have rabid fan bases, fertile recruiting grounds, and are WINNERS in FB. I'd like to see AAC conference members do good in post season play.....but they would add more credibility to their programs as opposed to the AAC.

In the meantime, husky nation does not have a plethora of donors stepping up to fund a stadium expansion. But that is understandable, I guess, with the program doing nothing to enhance donor interest.

This revelation about Cincy and Memphis certainly will set back my recovery.

rabid fanbases? Haha

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Nice #TARP. You'll fit right in the BXII.

It was installed after ADA renovations added a massive wheelchair ramp...no idea why, but it's like that for the bowl game too.

That renovation reduced capacity from 61k to 59k

Reaction Score
I have found myself only watching UConn this season. I'm not sure I've seen one full game in the aggregate involving all 119 other teams.

I agree 100%. We need a conference which has team rivalry interest. In the BE I would watch UL against anyone, RU against a few, Cincy against anyone, WVU against anyone, and even the odd Pitt game. Now I don't give two shakes about anyother AAC mate, or for that matter any team from any conference. maybe I'll watch 5/10 minutes of a game, but the change in CFB 9and our snow conference, has pared back my overall conference interest. Even worse in bb.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. We need a conference which has team rivalry interest. In the BE I would watch UL against anyone, RU against a few, Cincy against anyone, WVU against anyone, and even the odd Pitt game. Now I don't give two shakes about anyother AAC mate, or for that matter any team from any conference. maybe I'll watch 5/10 minutes of a game, but the change in CFB 9and our e conference, has pared back my overall conference interest. Even worse in bb.

To me, that sounds more like a you problem, than an AAC problem...

UCF , ECU, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, Navy, UConn, Temple...there is good football here

UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, SMU...there is solid basketball here

the AAC helped UConn to a mens/womens title.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this is true, and I doubt it is, than UConn should fire everyone in Storrs and drop to D2.

We wouldn't deserve to remain D1 athletically if we can't argue are way in over Memphis.

I can't even believe I read posts on here saying "it makes sense."

IT. MAKES. NO. SENSE.

Memphis has been horrible in football until this year and even than they can't even top 40,000 in attendance!

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
If this is true, and I doubt it is, than UConn should fire everyone in Storrs and drop to D2.

We wouldn't deserve to remain D1 athletically if we can't argue are way in over Memphis.

I can't even believe I read posts on here saying "it makes sense."

IT. MAKES. NO. SENSE.

Memphis has been horrible in football until this year and even than they can't even top 40,000 in attendance!

2003: 9-4 (wins over Louisville and Mississippi, 40k attendance)
2004: 8-4 (wins Mississippi and ECU, 41k attendance)
2005: 7-5 (39k attendance)
2007: 7-6
2008: 6-7
2014: 9-3 (34k attendance)

Reaction Score
Their play this year gives them more concrete evidence in their favor than we have. Sure UCONN may be better positioned for long-term success, but until it's proven on the field that's just conjecture.

If the B1G were openly looking to expand à la Big 12, then yeah it would actually help a ton. If there are any traction to these Memphis rumors, then it's simply the perfect storm/being in the right place at the right time.

BULL.

Isn't our situation bad enough that we shouldn't have to read such nonsense on here from our own "fans"!

One year is concrete evidence? F off.

And geography? How is UConn being in the Big 12 any different than what we are in now? Or Minnesota and Iowa being in a league with Rutgers. Geography is no excuse for us to be rejected for Memphis.

Reaction Score

Wow, 34,000 in attendance for your best team ever? Real impressive.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Wow, 34,000 in attendance for your best team ever? Real impressive.

I'd take DeAngelo Williams' 2003 squad over this seasons team (pending this seasons bowl outcome)...Larry Porter damn near killed the program, but a 5 year bowl absence after going to 5 bowls in 6 years, isn't exactly "horrible in football until this year"

Fuente has built a program...2012 attendance 25k...2013 attendance 28k...2014 attendance 34k

with Mississippi visiting the liberty bowl next season, I expect even higher attendance in 2015.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
To me, that sounds more like a you problem, than an AAC problem...

UCF , ECU, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, Navy, UConn, Temple...there is good football here

UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, SMU...there is solid basketball here

the AAC helped UConn to a mens/womens title.

If you mean being in the AAC hurt our seedinv, then we can agree. Otherwise, the AAC had nonothing to do with our championshipS.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
If you mean being in the AAC hurt our seedinv, then we can agree. Otherwise, the AAC had nonothing to do with our championshipS.

I didn't make you guys lose to Houston...

Reaction Score

There is no metric that supports the idea that Memphis is more deserving of an invite than UConn to the Big 12. Garbage school. Garbage sports.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
There is no metric that supports the idea that Memphis is more deserving of an invite than UConn to the Big 12. Garbage school. Garbage sports.

yet here we are, sharing a conference...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
BULL.

Isn't our situation bad enough that we shouldn't have to read such nonsense on here from our own "fans"!

One year is concrete evidence? F off.

And geography? How is UConn being in the Big 12 any different than what we are in now? Or Minnesota and Iowa being in a league with Rutgers. Geography is no excuse for us to be rejected for Memphis.

Get off your high horse you piece of . I can say whatever I damn well please on here.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 will expand, UCONN and the state politicians need to put on a full court press ASAP and hope for inclusion. Settle for a 1/2 share and put one home game at Yankee stadium.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate