OT: Journey to 351 | The Boneyard

OT: Journey to 351

Reaction Score
I am beginning my fifth year of pursuing the goal to visit every D1 campus to see a college basketball game. I keep a blog of my travels at www.journeyto351.com. The "351" was the number of D1 schools when I started but has increased to 353 this year with the addition of Northern Alabama and California Baptist. It will drop back next year to 352 with Savannah State dropping out. I am currently at 65 games with the hopes of seeing 15 more games this season.

I have the following games definitely scheduled for this year while I await for all the schedules to be released:

11/6 Buffalo
11/7 St. Bonaventure
11/11 Cornell
11/12 Binghamton
12/1 Lehigh
12/2 Lafayette

TBD:

4 games in the D.C/Baltimore area (daughter now lives there)
Jackson State and Alcorn State in Mississippi (have a friend who has a second home there which will complete the state)
Drexel and Nova (will complete the Philly schools)
UCF (trip for the wife to Disneyworld)

To motivate me each year, I post this infamous classic quote from Fishy from year 1 concerning my quest:

“You have no chance of doing it. But beyond that, you don’t want to. At some point, you’ll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then, you’ll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas, and drown yourself in the toilet.”

GO HUSKYS!

Reaction Score
I am beginning my fifth year of pursuing the goal to visit every D1 campus to see a college basketball game. I keep a blog of my travels at www.journeyto351.com. The "351" was the number of D1 schools when I started but has increased to 353 this year with the addition of Northern Alabama and California Baptist. It will drop back next year to 352 with Savannah State dropping out. I am currently at 65 games with the hopes of seeing 15 more games this season.

I have the following games definitely scheduled for this year while I await for all the schedules to be released:

11/6 Buffalo
11/7 St. Bonaventure
11/11 Cornell
11/12 Binghamton
12/1 Lehigh
12/2 Lafayette

TBD:

Jackson State and Alcorn State in Mississippi (have a friend who has a second home there which will complete the state)

To motivate me each year, I post this infamous classic quote from Fishy from year 1 concerning my quest:

“You have no chance of doing it. But beyond that, you don’t want to. At some point, you’ll find yourself at Houston Baptist watching them host Incarnate Word wondering just why you threw your life away. Then, you’ll make your way back to your $29 a night hotel room in Cow Dick, Texas, and drown yourself in the toilet.”

GO HUSKYS!
It's Huskies.

Reaction Score

11/6 Buffalo
11/7 St. Bonaventure
11/11 Cornell
11/12 Binghamton
12/1 Lehigh
12/2 Lafayette

TBD:

GO HUSKYS!

With a wife excited about Disneyworld, it sounds like you're young enough to get it done.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Greathusky enjoy the journey and keep us apprised. I would appreciate hearing some stories along the way. I've been to Disney so you can skip that part.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

11/6 Buffalo
11/7 St. Bonaventure
11/11 Cornell
11/12 Binghamton
12/1 Lehigh
12/2 Lafayette

TBD:

GO HUSKYS!

Where have you made it so far?

Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That’s awesome. Sounds cool and I bet u have some stories about the places u visited(both good and bad) good luck this year. Just don’t miss too many uconn games on yer travels.

Reaction Score
Very impressive. I agree with you on Rider. Very dangerous team this year. They open @ UCF.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Not to steal @Greathusky's thunder in this thread but I'm also on the same quest and will throw a plug in for my own blog mission351.blogspot.com. I've completed 112/353 venues thus far (I'm a few behind on my blog) and will hopefully get 20+ done again this year as I'll be spending a week in NY/PA in November and a week in NC in December to start with.

That Cornell game on 11/11 is actually on my tentative list so I maybe I'll see you at the game Greathusky!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

GO HUSKYS!

Jesus. I forgot about that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Easy so far with mostly regional locations. Let me know when you get to Lawrence. :)

Reaction Score
Via GreatHusky's website a link to a blog article about the blogs about the quest. Some good recommendations and Fishy's quote is immortalized.

I like the pragmatic approach you are taking that translates to seeing arenas/campuses regardless of size or, quite frankly, quality of hoops. Have you thought about building your quest around some of the more iconic arenas and then include the small guys on the way? It'd be interesting to do a triangle NC trip and compare Dook to UNC to NC State to Wake but then add in Elon, UNC-G & NCA&T. The campuses of the big boys will certainly be nicer and probably arenas too, but I'd bet the experiences at the small arenas are more memorable & fun.

My 4 most memorable trips are UNC, Dartmouth, Bridgeport (Manute Bol) & West Virginia as much for the unique trip experiences as what happened at the arena.

Reaction Score
Not to steal @Greathusky's thunder in this thread but I'm also on the same quest and will throw a plug in for my own blog mission351.blogspot.com. I've completed 112/353 venues thus far (I'm a few behind on my blog) and will hopefully get 20+ done again this year as I'll be spending a week in NY/PA in November and a week in NC in December to start with.

That Cornell game on 11/11 is actually on my tentative list so I maybe I'll see you at the game Greathusky!

@ConnZag3 I read about your journey in Casey's article. I never made the connection that you would be on the Boneyard. Duh!
Good work in getting to 112. I wish you safe travels as you journey onward.
I would love to meet up at the Cornell game if possible and swap some war stories. I have used your blog in the past when previewing venues.
I will DM you my cell .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Via GreatHusky's website a link to a blog article about the blogs about the quest. Some good recommendations and Fishy's quote is immortalized.

I like the pragmatic approach you are taking that translates to seeing arenas/campuses regardless of size or, quite frankly, quality of hoops. Have you thought about building your quest around some of the more iconic arenas and then include the small guys on the way? It'd be interesting to do a triangle NC trip and compare Dook to UNC to NC State to Wake but then add in Elon, UNC-G & NCA&T. The campuses of the big boys will certainly be nicer and probably arenas too, but I'd bet the experiences at the small arenas are more memorable & fun.

My 4 most memorable trips are UNC, Dartmouth, Bridgeport (Manute Bol) & West Virginia as much for the unique trip experiences as what happened at the arena.

To be honest, I enjoy the small arenas more than the large venues. The smaller places have more atmosphere in my opinion. Fans are passionate at every level.

It is interesting to note that irregardless of the size of the arena, one can stereotype the fans at each. It is truly a piece of Americana watching the fans.

So therefore, I don't place any priority on size when planning my trips.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score

The way the calendar lines up so far I'm planning to do UNC, Elon, Wake, Campbell, and NC State on 5 consecutive days in December so looking forward to getting a lot of the triangle covered. While UConn has always been my #1 team, Gonzaga is 1a and they're playing at the Dean Dome on Dec 15 so that's my top road trip this season.

While Storrs and Spokane are definitely 2 of my most memorable visits, places like Northern Iowa, Wichita State and South Dakota State are some underrated venues when you factor in things like fan support and design of the facility to make it feel like you're really close to the court.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
@ConnZag3 I read about your journey in Casey's article. I never made the connection that you would be on the Boneyard. Duh!
Good work in getting to 112. I wish you safe travels as you journey onward.
I would love to meet up at the Cornell game if possible and swap some war stories. I have used your blog in the past when previewing venues.
I will DM you my cell .

Sounds great! I'm jealous of you and others that live out east and can get to a bunch of schools in a 2-3 hour radius! I'm pretty close to exhausting all my drivable locations from Madison, WI so I'm gonna be pretty dependent on flyaway trips going forward where it's all about trying to get coordinate Saturdays or Sundays where I can get a doubleheader or even the coveted tripleheader in! :)

Reaction Score
Sounds great! I'm jealous of you and others that live out east and can get to a bunch of schools in a 2-3 hour radius! I'm pretty close to exhausting all my drivable locations from Madison, WI so I'm gonna be pretty dependent on flyaway trips going forward where it's all about trying to get coordinate Saturdays or Sundays where I can get a doubleheader or even the coveted tripleheader in! :)
Yes I am slowly running out of "driveable" trips too even though technically anywhere is driveable to. Once I get to the six hour mark, I start to think of planes and trains.

I do have one triple header to my credit. Last year in Philly, I did Lasalle and St. Josephs on a Saturday and Temple on Sunday. That is the perfect trifecta for folks like us!

It does help that I am retired but married life plus kids in NYC and DC obligates me to choose 15 games a year as a happy medium between my journey and a happy wife. :) I joke with her that if I were single, I would be doing 30 games a year (at least!).

Reaction Score
Yes I am slowly running out of "driveable" trips too even though technically anywhere is driveable to. Once I get to the six hour mark, I start to think of planes and trains.

I do have one triple header to my credit. Last year in Philly, I did Lasalle and St. Josephs on a Saturday and Temple on Sunday. That is the perfect trifecta for folks like us!

It does help that I am retired but married life plus kids in NYC and DC obligates me to choose 15 games a year as a happy medium between my journey and a happy wife. :) I joke with her that if I were single, I would be doing 30 games a year (at least!).

Are you keeping track on Sports Passport? Sports Passport | A better replacement for ESPN Passport

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom