OT: John Bagley returning to his roots | The Boneyard

OT: John Bagley returning to his roots

Reaction Score
I played 2 on 2 once against Bagley and Mouse McFadden. Bagley hit threes over me like I wasn't even there. It was a thrill to play against a pro nonetheless.

Reaction Score
I played 2 on 2 once against Bagley and Mouse McFadden. Bagley hit threes over me like I wasn't even there. It was a thrill to play against a pro nonetheless.

Mouse Mcfadden of Cleveland State and Kevin Mackie fame? There's how you see the road.

Reaction Score
Went to see Harding play against Maloney in the CIAC tourney when Jay Murphy was a Jr, 2 real good teams but Frenchy Tomlin was the deciding factor. Nice player, believe he went to Cleveland State too?

MHS went undefeated the next year until a Branford team upset them in the quarters. Harding, Bassick, Bridgeport Central always had great players back then and before.

Reaction Score
Bagley taking over a troubled program

Growing up in Bridgeport, Harding basketball was something special, and it remained so into the '90s. Wonder if Bagley can have any success in bringing it back.
Very nice guy. I used to work out with him at the old Fitness Edge in Fairfield during the late 90's. He had a business in Chicago at the time and was constantly jetting back and forth between Bridgeport and the Windy city. If anyone can bring Harding back to some glory it's Bagley.

Reaction Score
Went to see Harding play against Maloney in the CIAC tourney when Jay Murphy was a Jr, 2 real good teams but Frenchy Tomlin was the deciding factor. Nice player, believe he went to Cleveland State too?

MHS went undefeated the next year until a Branford team upset them in the quarters. Harding, Bassick, Bridgeport Central always had great players back then and before.
Harding Central games were a war back then. Bassick was good every few years. The league was called the MBIAC. In 1975 3 of the state champs came out of that league. Central won the LL and Harding that beat Central twice that year failed to win the L.

Reaction Score
Harding Central games were a war back then. Bassick was good every few years. The league was called the MBIAC. In 1975 3 of the state champs came out of that league. Central won the LL and Harding that beat Central twice that year failed to win the L.

I grew up there and saw all these guys play. It was an awesome time for park city and Connecticut high school basketball!

C

chiller99.5

Great homecoming...played at Harding with Willie and Gumby Murphy and that group, Wes Matthews and McKay were coming up it was a big time league but Dee Rowe barely recruited from it.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Bassick does anyone remember John Garris? Great player and also played for BC.

Reaction Score
Great homecoming...played at Harding with Willie and Gumby Murphy and that group, Wes Matthews and McKay were coming up it was a big time league but Dee Rowe barely recruited from it.
Called them the M M & M wrecking company.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Bassick does anyone remember John Garris? Great player and also played for BC.
Sounds familiar. I remember a player named Ernie Pouncy from back then.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Yep. Garris was a solid Big East forward back in the day. Lanky about 6'8", good rebounder, decent offensive game.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Great homecoming...played at Harding with Willie and Gumby Murphy and that group

Are you talking about Phil Murphy? Kid like 5-10 that jumped center and led the MBIAC in rebounding? If it's the same kid, when he was lie 12, he showed up at the Sunday afternoon games at Washington Park, and he could out jump everyone there.

C

chiller99.5

Are you talking about Phil Murphy? Kid like 5-10 that jumped center and led the MBIAC in rebounding? If it's the same kid, when he was lie 12, he showed up at the Sunday afternoon games at Washington Park, and he could out jump everyone there.
Phil was the youngster Willie could come close to the top of backboard and Richie "gumby" was a lanky scorer rebounder back in early 70 ...Grew up with them and Samuels brothers,Matthews ,McKay etc at Orcutt boys club. Murphys were related to Sam Miller and Calvin Murphy

Reaction Score

He could soar. If my memory is correct he blocked a turnaround by Gminski and sent it into the stands. He jumped the opening tip for them. Was a cousin of Calvin.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Phil was the youngster Willie could come close to the top of backboard and Richie "gumby" was a lanky scorer rebounder back in early 70 ...Grew up with them and Samuels brothers,Matthews ,McKay etc at Orcutt boys club. Murphys were related to Sam Miller and Calvin Murphy

I first learned to play both bball and 9 ball at Orcutt in the late 50s/very early 60s. Probably a few years ahead of your time.

Reaction Score

Dee Rowe had retired from coaching several years prior to Bagley graduating from Harding. Dom Perno along with assistant Jim Obrien recruited him very hard. If I recall correctly there were some academic issues involved.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

My wife went to Bassick, so naturally, we followed them. And since we lived in Monroe by then, I also followed Gminski. Seem to Recall Garris & Co knocking off Mike's Masuk team once.

C

chiller99.5

Dee Rowe had retired from coaching several years prior to Bagley graduating from Harding. Dom Perno along with assistant Jim Obrien recruited him very hard. If I recall correctly there were some academic issues involved.
Bridgeport was totally loaded with talent in the 70s Harding, Central, Bassick and Kolbe all put players out mainly to BC at that time, Notre Dame and Fairfield Prep also,,,he must not have recruited too hard. Read the book Chase the game by Pat Jordan
The Foundation for Excellence in Bridgeport Public Schools - CoachMcLeod

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bridgeport was totally loaded with talent in the 70s Harding, Central, Bassick and Kolbe all put players out mainly to BC at that time, Notre Dame and Fairfield Prep also,,,he must not have recruited too hard. Read the book Chase the game by Pat Jordan
The Foundation for Excellence in Bridgeport Public Schools - CoachMcLeod
My Mom went to Central, my Aunt Harding, my Uncle Bassick and my Dad Bullard-Havens. He apparently got to know Pat Jordan somehow; I remember him coming home from a bar one night with a signed copy of A False Spring with an inscription to me, having run into Jordan there. Come to think of it, I should look for that.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Kolbe's Walt Luckett. He made the cover of Sports Illustrated around 1972. He set all sorts of records. Blew his knee out before he got to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Kolbe's Walt Luckett. He made the cover of Sports Illustrated around 1972. He set all sorts of records. Blew his knee out before he got to the NBA.
Had to give you a like for your nick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom