OT: Joan Joyce interviews and some of her history | The Boneyard

OT: Joan Joyce interviews and some of her history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A number of us when speaking of great women's athletes have mentioned Joan Joyce in the same breath as Babe Didricksen among the greatest all time.

Joan is still coaching at FAU (Florida Atlantic University). Prior to the interview is a summary of some of her accomplishments across softball, volleyball, basketball and golf among other sports she has played. She is an amazing story. 150 no hitters and 50 perfect games. One season with 38 shutouts pitched and 42 wins. The second half contains Joan recounting the Ted Williams story as she faced him in Waterbury for the Jimmy Fund.

LINK first half of the interview.

LINK second half of the interview.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Connecticut, in the 60's, and my sister played, and my Dad coached, for the Milford Hi-Hats, fast pitch softball during that time. I remember fondly, going to the games, and the World tournaments that were held in Stratford, and seeing Joan Joyce pitch for the Raybestos Brakettes. Just amazing. I was just a little kid at the time, so I didn't have any idea WHAT she was throwing, pitch-wise, just that nobody could hit her. I also had the pleasure of seeing Bertha Tickey, and Donna Lopiano, pitch at different times, for the Brakettes. Again, domainating hurlers...The Raybestos Brakettes were the New York Yankees, or Montreal Canadiens, of Women's Fast Pitch Softball ,at that time.

Reaction Score
Falcon Field Meriden late 70s she pitched against a bunch of guys I would play with in the Greater Hartford Twilight League....Katz Sport Shop then of the Meriden Twilight League........I was actually working PT at the then Holiday Inn in Meriden where most of the girls stayed who played for them. At 16 and a legion player I bragged of how i would be able to handle Joans stuff and now my older brother and his teammates would rip her apart. Remember Katz had 3 ex minor leaguers all recent releases and still young and many kids who were borderline minors guys.

Joan ate them up and spit them out 1st time around. They were not used to the distance and her anbility to move the ball around. I will say 2nd time around they had a few good rips including an HR but everyone realized how special she was at her craft. They drew some big crowds during their time in Meriden and the people adopted them and Joan in a big way.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ted Williams batted against her once - SB dimensions - and one of the greatest hitters of all time said he doubted he would have hit .100 against her.

Reaction Score
Falcon Field Meriden late 70s she pitched against a bunch of guys I would play with in the Greater Hartford Twilight League....Katz Sport Shop then of the Meriden Twilight League........I was actually working PT at the then Holiday Inn in Meriden where most of the girls stayed who played for them. At 16 and a legion player I bragged of how i would be able to handle Joans stuff and now my older brother and his teammates would rip her apart. Remember Katz had 3 ex minor leaguers all recent releases and still young and many kids who were borderline minors guys.

Joan ate them up and spit them out 1st time around. They were not used to the distance and her anbility to move the ball around. I will say 2nd time around they had a few good rips including an HR but everyone realized how special she was at her craft. They drew some big crowds during their time in Meriden and the people adopted them and Joan in a big way.
Late '70s, she was 25+ years into her career. Think you're as chipper as you were 25 years ago? ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom