OT Jerry Remy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Jerry Remy

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
RIP Jerry after a long, difficult battle with Cancer. Local guy who brought so many memories as a player and later as one of the best color men to ever call baseball games. Few guys could be as knowledgeable, funny and entertaining.

One moment I'll long remember was when Jim Rice carried Remy off the field after a collision at the plate in Yankee Stadium.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I celebrated the positive and you harped on the negative. To each his own, I guess.

I had the same reaction to your post that Woof did.

It's one thing to praise Remy for keeping a smile on his face but I think he faced a lot of adversity and tragedy, so it's weird to talk about how much fun he had.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's one thing to praise Remy for keeping a smile on his face but I think he faced a lot of adversity and tragedy, so it's weird to talk about how much fun he had.

Much like Ernie Johnson, Remy had a way of being a joyful announcer who connected with fans while battling family health in his personal life.

And, none of us know, but maybe they found joy in life regardless of the personal tragedies.

Regardless, we lost a good one.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why but I’m so impressed with Rice just picking up an injured player and carrying him to the clubhouse. Nowadays you’d need a stretcher or a person on each side helping the injured player hobble into the dugout.
Rice did the same with an injured kid who was hit with a foul ball in the stands once. Ran into the stands picked up the child and brought him right to the clubhouse with the Sox doctor.
I seem to remember a game at yankee stadium where he and a teammate collided down the left field line on a shallow fly. Both were on the ground and a Yankees fan reached over and took one of their hats. Once he realized it he stormed into the stands after the fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Remy was celebrated in person by 36,000 fans just a week before he passed. Not many have that chance.

Reaction Score
I am a Yankee fan, but I liked watching guys like Remy play, along with Burrelson, Hobson, Rice, Lynn, and more. That’s when baseball was fun, before steroids ruined the records book. I’ll never forget Hobson trying to decapitate himself.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why but I’m so impressed with Rice just picking up an injured player and carrying him to the clubhouse. Nowadays you’d need a stretcher or a person on each side helping the injured player hobble into the dugout.
Rice did the same with an injured kid who was hit with a foul ball in the stands once. Ran into the stands picked up the child and brought him right to the clubhouse with the Sox doctor.
I seem to remember a game at yankee stadium where he and a teammate collided down the left field line on a shallow fly. Both were on the ground and a Yankees fan reached over and took one of their hats. Once he realized it he stormed into the stands after the fan.
Rice did the same thing when he collided with Rick Miller in the outfield.

Reaction Score
Favorite athlete of all time. I always wore #2 growing up. We lived next door to his wife Phoebe as a kid in Westport, MA back before Jerry played for the Angels (have a signed team ball from the 75 Angels he got us. Had two, dog ate one). My dad knew him a bit, went to his wedding and we have the matchbook from it. Don’t see many of those now. Dad shared a few stories about Jerry.
  • great tennis player. He got stuck with my dad in doubles a few times as Jerry was better than the avid players.
  • great dancer. I think his mom ran a studio.
Nothing much, but I hope he is at peace.

Reaction Score
Favorite athlete of all time. I always wore #2 growing up. We lived next door to his wife Phoebe as a kid in Westport, MA back before Jerry played for the Angels (have a signed team ball from the 75 Angels he got us. Had two, dog ate one). My dad knew him a bit, went to his wedding and we have the matchbook from it. Don’t see many of those now. Dad shared a few stories about Jerry.
  • great tennis player. He got stuck with my dad in doubles a few times as Jerry was better than the avid players.
  • great dancer. I think his mom ran a studio.
Nothing much, but I hope he is at peace.
He was a great dancer? Lol. :) I remember when this happened. I was cracking up for a few minutes.

Reaction Score
RIP to one pesky 2nd baseman back in the late 70s vs. my Yankees...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom