OT - Jays/Rangers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Jays/Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Crazy game. Would love to see Battista's first at bat vs the Rangers next year.

Reaction Score
Only thing I don't get is orange skins.

With oranges, the skin is much softer, but it is ultimately best, if not necessary, to peel the skin off, as said skin is quite bitter compared to the succulent inside. And the skin is the same color of said inside.

But apples are different?

Up your game. That was lame

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Only thing I don't get is that Dale Scott called time/dead ball when Odor was 2/3rd of the way down the line. In the NFL, if the whistle is blown before a fumble is recovered, that's it. Play is over as soon as the whistle is blown. But baseball is different?

In Football, the object is for the quarterback, otherwise known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz even if he has to use the shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing his aerial assault with a sustained ground attack, which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemies’ defensive line.

In Baseball, the object is to go home, and to be safe.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn't see it, but it generated a great article in the Toronto Star....

He stood there, 34 years old, and he watched it go and looked at the pitcher and pursed his lips and flipped his bat aside like a king, like he would never need it again. They may erect a statue of that bat flip.

I heard on the Steve Czaban show this morning that someone has already photo shopped Bautista's bat next to Shwarber's HR ball on top of the sign at Wrigley.

Reaction Score
I didn't see it, but it generated a great article in the Toronto Star....

He stood there, 34 years old, and he watched it go and looked at the pitcher and pursed his lips and flipped his bat aside like a king, like he would never need it again. They may erect a statue of that bat flip.
That homer almost blew the roof off the stadium.....Angry, crazy fans went quickly to just being crazy...

Reaction Score
Crazy game. Would love to see Battista's first at bat vs the Rangers next year.

No need to wait. Grab someone you aren't fond of...give him a stick and take him outside. Stand about 60 feet away from him; then throw a baseball as hard as you can at his shoulders. Have a buddy film it. It's gonna look something like that.

The umps never should have reviewed Martin's throw, and the run had to be scored.

Haven't seen anything like that since the Bartman game. I'm not sure that even matches what we saw last night.

Reaction Score
No need to wait. Grab someone you aren't fond of...give him a stick and take him outside. Stand about 60 feet away from him; then throw a baseball as hard as you can at his shoulders. Have a buddy film it. It's gonna look something like that.

The umps never should have reviewed Martin's throw, and the run had to be scored.

Haven't seen anything like that since the Bartman game. I'm not sure that even matches what we saw last night.

As I wrote earlier (but for some reason people deliberately skew it) the ump had to go see how far the runner was down the line.

He called it a dead play and the Blue Jay was seen to point to him instead of making the throw.

So, if it's a judgement call that can't be reviewed, the initial judgement was interference.

The refs reversed the initial judgement upon conferring.

BUT, having called it a dead play, they then had to take into account that the player hadn't crossed the plate when it was called dead.

So they went to review it. He was about 2/3rds of the way down the line when it was called dead. So they gave him the base (as they sometimes do when deciding ground rule doubles, etc.)

This is why I made the comparison to football earlier.

By allowing the umps this much freedom, you're causing all sorts of mayhem and confusion.

1. The initial judgement is dead play
2. Everyone stops but the runner.
3. The judgement is reversed.
4. But since judgement calls are not reviewable, the umps don't know how far long the runner was.
5. So they must review it.

Essentially, the rules of the game never anticipated this might happen. Why? Because baseball doesn't have a rule that says a play is dead once the ump calls it dead. Like football does.

The announcers never really talked about whether the fact that he was halfway to home is what gave him the run.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen a division series full of emotion & intensity like that (at least the games in Toronto) since Yanks/Mariners 1995. But that 7th inning was on its own level of craziness. That was great theater.

- The Texas run should have counted - they got it right.

- The Toronto fans that threw beer cans/bottles on the field over that call were completely classless. High intensity game and an unfortunate play that triggered it, but still uncalled for.

- Feel horrible for the Texas fielders - 4 infield blunders that led to a 4 run inning for Toronto, 3 in a row by the same player. What a gag job.

- The Bautista bat flip. Wouldn't make this par for the course in baseball, but seriously, get over it. It was a huge HR in a ridiculously emotionally charged situation. Heaven forbid pro players ever show emotions in big situations. You see pitchers get jacked up and celebrate all the time. People are already predicting he'll get beaned the next time he plays Texas next year. For what - celebrating? Did he physically hurt anyone like Chase Utley did? People complain that society has become too sensitive about political correctness, but still get up in arms when someone looks an another player wrong or showboats in sports? Come on. All these "unwritten rules" about etiquette. If they're unwritten and people don't like it when players break them, then make them written.

But enough about that. Like I said, that was one wild inning and must-see television. These division series have been terrific.

Reaction Score
Is this on YouTube or something? I was coaching last night and missed this.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Haven't seen a division series full of emotion & intensity like that (at least the games in Toronto) since Yanks/Mariners 1995. But that 7th inning was on its own level of craziness. That was great theater.

- The Texas run should have counted - they got it right.

- The Toronto fans that threw beer cans/bottles on the field over that call were completely classless. High intensity game and an unfortunate play that triggered it, but still uncalled for.

- Feel horrible for the Texas fielders - 4 infield blunders that led to a 4 run inning for Toronto, 3 in a row by the same player. What a gag job.

- The Bautista bat flip. Wouldn't make this par for the course in baseball, but seriously, get over it. It was a huge HR in a ridiculously emotionally charged situation. Heaven forbid pro players ever show emotions in big situations. You see pitchers get jacked up and celebrate all the time. People are already predicting he'll get beaned the next time he plays Texas next year. For what - celebrating? Did he physically hurt anyone like Chase Utley did? People complain that society has become too sensitive about political correctness, but still get up in arms when someone looks an another player wrong or showboats in sports? Come on. All these "unwritten rules" about etiquette. If they're unwritten and people don't like it when players break them, then make them written.

But enough about that. Like I said, that was one wild inning and must-see television. These division series have been terrific.

My only issue with Bautista was him staring out at the pitcher. That's where it crosses over from celebrating and into showing a guy up. Kind of like when someone has a big dunk and then gets in a guy's grill. Get over yourself. Otherwise, I have no issue with bat flips and watching home runs.

Reaction Score
Certain people seem to under estimate the presence of emotion in sports. The bat flip was a non-stop to me. A lack of emotion in that moment would have stood out more for me.

Reaction Score
My only issue with Bautista was him staring out at the pitcher. That's where it crosses over from celebrating and into showing a guy up. Kind of like when someone has a big dunk and then gets in a guy's grill. Get over yourself. Otherwise, I have no issue with bat flips and watching home runs.

I have a lot more leeway for the situation/moment and allowing passion to take over but agree on the stare down. No place for that even in that situation - make it a celebration not a taunt!

Reaction Score
Certain people seem to under estimate the presence of emotion in sports. The bat flip was a non-stop to me. A lack of emotion in that moment would have stood out more for me.

This whole "play the game the right way" stuff is, to me, the least enjoyable part of baseball. I can't keep track of all these moronic "unwritten rules."

I'm not big on taunting but to hear guys like that humorless blockhead Girardi talk you should get fined for smiling on a baseball field. God forbid these guys have fun playing a kids game for a living.

And the Rangers talking about how Bautista's a role model for the kids was just lame. You'd think he took out a bag of coke while he was headed toward first. Season's over, dude. Lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom