OT: it was just a matter of time | The Boneyard

OT: it was just a matter of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My father still swims out there every morning. My mother vacillates between trying to prevent it and encouraging it, depending on her mood.

He's out of his mind.

Reaction Score
Yikes! It up there earlier this summer. There were no shark warnings. Waters too rough to go swimming anyway.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When the sharks arrived regularly in 2010 ish I started changing my summer plans. The seals will eventually be in block and Montauk and the same conditions will follow.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When the sharks arrived regularly in 2010 ish I started changing my summer plans. The seals will eventually be in block and Montauk and the same conditions will follow.
Yeah I'm wondering how long until it's an issue in South County, RI, where we've been going for ocean beaches. Not going in the water would definitely change our plans.

Reaction Score
Had a good talk about the marine landscape of the Cape over the last 10years this summer. Seals have come in and changed the picture of what fish are prevalent. There aren’t many cod around Cape Cod. And then the sharks followed the seals. The only real viable fish in the waters now are not popular in America and sold in Europe. Time will take its course. When the seals are all eaten, the sharks will leave.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Meh. It’s possible that it happens, just not probable.

Get rid of the seals or at least cull the population significantly and the shark issues will dissipate.

Other benefit will be the bass fishery will come back to the way it once was.

I think my folks still are in the water everyday up there as well.

https://www.thewildlifemuseum.org/exhibits/sharks/odds-of-a-shark-attack/
Had a good talk about the marine landscape of the Cape over the last 10years this summer. Seals have come in and changed the picture of what fish are prevalent. There aren’t many cod around Cape Cod. And then the sharks followed the seals. The only real viable fish in the waters now are not popular in America and sold in Europe. Time will take its course. When the seals are all eaten, the sharks will leave.

I heard on the radio the seal population has rebounding thanks to federal protective status.

Sharks following seals as a food source doesn't qualify as law of unintended consequences. It's a known direct correlation.

Reaction Score

Rising water temps are also part of the problem

Reaction Score

This is true. The sharks follow the seals, ans the seals have been on the cape. MBL info

Reaction Score
I heard on the radio the seal population has rebounding thanks to federal protective status.

Sharks following seals as a food source doesn't qualify as law of unintended consequences. It's a known direct correlation.

No kidding.

If you don’t have friends that are commercial fisherman in small boats out of cape towns you really can’t appreciate how seal protection has fouled the fishery.

I’d rather off the seals than the sharks.

Should bring some Inuit down from Canada and let them have at it.

Reaction Score
Absolutely terrible situation and really feel for the family. You are also making it sound like Cape Cod has a shark epidemic...this is the first fatality in 82 years and there have only been 2 total non-fatal incidents in the last 20.

Reaction Score
Prove that.

Water temps in the Atlantic off of the New England Coast have risen noticeably. Sharks aside, the local fishing industry is very concerned about this. Warming temps is why Connecticut's lobster catch in Long Island Sound is less than half of what it was 25 years ago, while Maine's lobster catch has exploded. Co, scallops, soft-shell clams, etc. are all being impacted. If the trend continues, in a 100 years, Connecticut will be importing its lobsters from Newfoundland and Greenland.

Climate change to have drastic effects on Gulf of Maine lobster and clam fisheries, studies say

Reaction Score
Absolutely terrible situation and really feel for the family. You are also making it sound like Cape Cod has a shark epidemic...this is the first fatality in 82 years and there have only been 2 total non-fatal incidents in the last 20.

This is just the beginning. Many charter guys are having white sharks come up, follow the boat and take stripers as they are being reeled in inside Cape Cod Bay. Many of these have been 9-10 footers so they can come clsoe to shore with no problem in the bay. Smart people don't jump off the boat to go swimming anymore. Paddle boarders and kayakers are also going to get hit eventually in the bay. There were sharks taking seals inside 30 feet from shore on the ocean side all summer long. This is first and foremost a shark problem and they need to be culled. There are most likely 400 plus off the Cape based on the research info coming in. Figuring out what to do with the seals should come later. Yes the sharks have always been there but the close to shore sightings weren't through the 90's. The surfers are going to have to wait till late November when the sharks migrate south.

Reaction Score
Because swimming at the Y is too boring I guess

What do these idiots in the ocean think they’re doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members