OT: it was just a matter of time | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: it was just a matter of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's brutal. I never paid it any mind until after our recent trip to Baltimore, when I got the EZ-Pass statement. More than $60 round trip in tolls alone. We know some people who take a route that's around 100 miles longer each way just to avoid or minimize tolls and traffic. We used to scoff at them but we're reconsidering after that realization.

Yup.

you get hosed on the NJTpk and then the Del Mem bridge.

and then coming back you get double hosed on a NY Bridge crossing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about another slob from a different angle (oh and the fish too!)

HU2bTox.jpg
Who's hand is that off to right? The Cryptkeeper's?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
How about another slob from a different angle (oh and the fish too!)

HU2bTox.jpg

Three questions:
1. How many people did that thing feed?
2. What's your recommended preparation?
3. If this fish is good eating, how come there is no striper on Arby's menus?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Three questions:
1. How many people did that thing feed?
2. What's your recommended preparation?
3. If this fish is good eating, how come there is no striper on Arby's menus?
We ended up with over 80 lbs of filets .

It’s great eating. Big fat white non fishy steaks.

Cost and availability I’m sure. Stuff is very seasonal and goes for 20 bucks a lb on shoreline When you can even get it

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Absolutely, but not necessarily worse than what you'd experience with a large Bull shark for example. And easier to avoid if you are smart.

I wouldn't say easier?

Basically in the whole world, it's Great White, Tiger, and Bull being the most aggressive towards humans. With strong seconds by the Bronze Whaler, Mako, and White Tips. Might be one or two other i don't remember.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Obviously swimming in the ocean when sharks are around is dangerous and you are playing a reverse odds lottery. But statistically speaking not swimming due to sharks is kind of like not flying out of fear of an airplane accident. Drowning is WAYYY more likely to kill you (so is driving to the beach etc..) and sharks aren't even near the top-10 of animals that kill people. Its the fear and mysterious vulnerability of being in the water that freaks people out about shark attacks and maybe that Jaws is one of the best movies ever.

1. Wear mosquito repellant wherever you go, probably net around your entire body
2. Avoid other humans
3. Get rid of your dogs
4. Don't order the escargot

These are the world's deadliest animals

You are much more likely to get struck by lightening than get attacked by a shark. Even on the Cape.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
People have the illusion and grandeur of equivalency swimming in open water with predators. Humans are literally the worst equipped species to be in the water against predators (fresh or salt). If you ain't swimming with a boom stick, rearview mirrors and a large knife, you can die at any time a predator wants you to die. Sharks, gators, crocs, hippos, etc.

I don't think it's illusion and grandeur thing. It's simply very nice to swim or be in the ocean. Mentally therapeutic, revitalizing and all that. Taps into something primal in us I think, given that's where we came from as well.

Then again, I'm a surfer, and we aren't necessarily the best average person in this regard.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Seems pretty clear that the Bay has become a pupping ground. Big increase in sharks taking fish off of lines. That’s the prey for juveniles not adults. At this time of year, they seem to be moving to the ocean side. Several recent videos of 10-12 ft juveniles just a few yards off Nauset. So even the shallows are not safe. Boogyboarding is just idiotic.

While I get what you are saying, you're probably better off hoping a shark hits your board/boat or tastes your wetsuit or whatever. They don't like the taste and will generally bug off. Unless they're a Tiger.

My sister is good friends with a couple at Woods Hole who are part of the ongoing study. She’s visiting them next weekend and I asked her to get their view of things for me.

Any update on this? Curious.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This reads exactly like someone that has not been to Nauset beach and read any of the dozens of shark incidents over the years. Shark attacks at a national level, not scary. Shark attacks in waters that are brimming with known shark populations...totally different. The outer cape is now loaded with sharks. We are talking about an environment much more akin to Yellowstone and bears vs southeast CT and bears.

And yet, there's only been 1 fatal shark attack in MA since 1936.

There has been like one fatal attack in 30 years. Don't sweat it.

82 years actually.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I kinda like that the Sharks pushed all the monster Stripers my way.....

Westbrook CT. Home of the biggest Stripers in the world.

CT does Pizza right, Lobster Rolls right and Stripers right. That about sums up our state.

FiGrdle.jpg

So NOW you are going all stealth privacy guy online?? After all this time?

Reaction Score
CT and LI should jump all over the Sound being shark-free.

I mean the garbage, algae and other pollution isn't going to kill you in one summer season like a shark can...

That's not really a problem once you get east of the river, then the beaches are as nice as anywhere

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Now, now. Don't exaggerate. I'm told by experts once a shark realized the person isn't a seal they let go and swim away. It's just a case of mistaken identity.

No, but if they hit a board or boat or wetsuit and don't like the taste...they move on. Unless they are a Tiger shark; those things eat indiscriminately. Cut open a dead one's stomach and you find things like car tires in there.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That's not really a problem once you get east of the river, then the beaches are as nice as anywhere

I'm taking you as someone who has a gallon of Purell in their car.

I can't talk. I chickened out on my SCUBA cert dive since it was going to happen less than a half mile off Bridgeport Harbor in 1984.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is true, except there are no waves. Water is very clear though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm taking you as someone who has a gallon of Purell in their car.

I can't talk. I chickened out on my SCUBA cert dive since it was going to happen less than a half mile off Bridgeport Harbor in 1984.

And you are still alive and (apparently?) cancer free. storrsroars 1 nasty polluted beaches 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom