OT: iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note 2 | The Boneyard

OT: iPhone 5 or Galaxy Note 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please bear with me, I'm about to make the biggest decision of my life and the smartest people I know are all here on this board. I've had iPhones for last 4 years.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Get the Samsung and don't look back ;)

Of course I have no bias whatsoever :p

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It all depends on your goals and intended uses.

Reaction Score
I think the one with the better battery. I hate having to recharge when the day is not over yet and always having to watch the battery level. Otherwise they both will make you happy until the next one.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Note is so Huge though.... i could never get one for myself.. as i prefer to carry my phone in my wallet. I was talking to a friend of mine this weekend... and he has the iphone 4. He was a bit hesitant about getting the iphone 5 as he said that it wasnt really a big enough upgrade over the 4.

I think the one with the better battery. I hate having to recharge when the day is not over yet and always having to watch the battery level. Otherwise they both will make you happy until the next one.

The Note has better battery life and a better display. Thats my biggest complaint about my galaxy s phone......the battery life. But its an older model, and i know the battery lives improve with each successive models.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It really kinda depends on what you're going to do with it. I have the original Note and like it. (Funny enough, I just gave it up today after a year or so.)

Battery life is pretty good and at least for the first Note, Samsung made some really useful accessories - a nice car dock and a great charging/media dock.

Two qualifiers...

1. I would never want it as my only phone. It's just too inconvenient to carry everywhere and making phone calls on it is uncomfortable. I used it for email, navigation and whatever else and then had another phone to actually use as a, well, phone.

2. The note taking part of the Note is not well implemented. Too clunky to actually use as a note taking tool and drawing on pictures is not something people often need to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Nah, meyers, it's quite the opposite. I am glad to see someone else not trying to eat the forbidden fruit provided by the snake in the garden.

Note 2 please.....sent from my Galaxy S3.

Reaction Score
Thanks guy 70% of my usage is web surfing, 20% games, the rest texting then calls. Have iPhone 4 not a big upgrade with iPhone 5. My concern losing the years of apps and music I've brought and android picking up viruses or something. Imma try it out and see how it works, worst case I'll take it back in 30 days pay a restocking fee or something and go back to iPhone. Meyers, I am pretty pathetic huh?

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
The Note is so Huge though.... i could never get one for myself.. as i prefer to carry my phone in my wallet. I was talking to a friend of mine this weekend... and he has the iphone 4. He was a bit hesitant about getting the iphone 5 as he said that it wasnt really a big enough upgrade over the 4.

The Note has better battery life and a better display. Thats my biggest complaint about my galaxy s phone......the battery life. But its an older model, and i know the battery lives improve with each successive models.

It depends on what you're comparing, but you need to be careful about defining terms. The iPhone 5 is a substantial upgrade over the iPhone 4 and although less of an upgrade over the iPhone 4S, it still has significant improvements over the 4S. If your friend has the 4 and not the 4S, I would disagree that the iPhone 5 isn't enough of an improvement over the 4.

Even if you disregard the slightly larger screen size, the iPhone 5 is 20% lighter and thinner than either of the earlier models, 2x as fast as the iPhone 4S and roughly 3x faster than 4. I also disagree that the Note has a "better" display. It's certainly larger, both in size and resolution (iPhone 5 = 1136x640, Note = 1280x800), however bigger isn't necessarily better. All the iPhone models have 326 ppi versus 284 ppi for the Note and pixel density is just as important as overall resolution.

Lastly, to the OP I would say that the Note for my taste is too large for a phone, but each to his own.

Reaction Score
I have the Samsung Note II, and it is by far the best phone I ever have ever used/tried. It's faster and more powerful than my old laptop, and the battery life is superlative (yesterday, over 20 hours on wifi, it went from 100% to 67%). The S-Pen functionality has been significantly improved, and I have used it for note-taking at all meetings since I purchased it.

However, I must admit that it's so fantastic because it suits my needs: replacing my old phone AND my tablet for my daily commute. Therefore, I actually wish the phone were bigger! I'm also a tech geek, so I prefer the Android operating system, since I can play around with it more.

Thus, my recommendation: if you want a phone for performance, go and try using it at a store to determine if you would be comfortable with a phone that big.

BTW: I'm tragically vertically-challenged but have no difficulty carrying it; I'm able to put it in the pocket of my 29 X 30 tight jeans.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
BTW: I'm tragically vertically-challenged but have no difficulty carrying it; I'm able to put it in the pocket of my 29 X 30 tight jeans.
So many years ago. :(

Reaction Score
How big is your wallet that you can carry a phone it in it?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It really kinda depends on what you're going to do with it. I have the original Note and like it. (Funny enough, I just gave it up today after a year or so.)

Battery life is pretty good and at least for the first Note, Samsung made some really useful accessories - a nice car dock and a great charging/media dock.

Two qualifiers...

1. I would never want it as my only phone. It's just too inconvenient to carry everywhere and making phone calls on it is uncomfortable. I used it for email, navigation and whatever else and then had another phone to actually use as a, well, phone.

2. The note taking part of the Note is not well implemented. Too clunky to actually use as a note taking tool and drawing on pictures is not something people often need to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I have a Galaxy S 3 - the Galaxy and the Nexus 4 are both great phones - I buy an extra battery on ebay for $5 just in case but I almost never run too low. The iPhone battery cannot be replaced. There are many features on the Androids which are not on the 5 and 60% of the smartphone market is android, so the App advantage Apple had is being leveled. Also, I uploaded my itunes library of music to Google Music, works like itunes now and I still have itunes running on my ipad and macbookpro and most of the apps are free or inexpensive as on the iphone (some cheaper). I'd take a long hard look at one of the new androids (the note is just too big for my liking). Plus maps actually works!

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I went into ATT a few weeks ago to buy my first Iphone.

They were very busy so I started looking around. I spent 4 hours there. The Windows Lumia had me for a very short while, but that was it.

I needed to define what I used it for and what I didnt like about what I had, etc. I had a Sidekick with Qwerty keyboard.

Qwertys are pretty much history. I have fat fingers on touchscreen. The Note intrigued me. The first thing I asked was to put it in my jeans pocket to see how it fit.

It fit ok, even when bending over, no problem. Talk to text is pretty outstanding (would think same of IPhone and maybe theirs is even better).

The screen is awesome. A 10 in my book. I can see everything clear without having to pinch the text bigger. phone audio is better than I thought it would be for such a large phone. better than my old phone.

I do take pictures at my exhibits and have been very impressed with the camera for what I need it for. colors are awesome at the beach.

Battery. better than old phone but stills needs a charge at night.

I am also on the road at times. Was thinking of a ipad, but not practicle for me to carry everywhere. With this, I could do skype, etc with family very easily. I picked up a case that has a stand for it.

Not sure how the note feature works, havent needed it yet, but do hope to be able to use it for selling books with credit cards.

On down side, if i talk outside in cold, i do notice having to switch hands as my 52 yr hands cramp around the width of it.
Yet, brings the best of the phone to my hands, and a bit of a tablet as well.

I am glad the salespeople were busy and I looked around.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have a Galaxy S 3 - the Galaxy and the Nexus 4 are both great phones - I buy an extra battery on ebay for $5 just in case but I almost never run too low. The iPhone battery cannot be replaced. There are many features on the Androids which are not on the 5 and 60% of the smartphone market is android, so the App advantage Apple had is being leveled. Also, I uploaded my itunes library of music to Google Music, works like itunes now and I still have itunes running on my ipad and macbookpro and most of the apps are free or inexpensive as on the iphone (some cheaper). I'd take a long hard look at one of the new androids (the note is just too big for my liking). Plus maps actually works!

iPhone batteries are relatively easy to replace.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
iPhone batteries are relatively easy to replace.
Not replace Padre, I can swap them in 10 seconds .... So I always have a spare just in case.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not replace Padre, I can swap them in 10 seconds .... So I always have a spare just in case.
Not sure what you mean by replace versus swap? I have brought and replaced numerous iPhone batteries for friends. I can't do it in 10 secs. But I can in 2-3 minutes maybe faster.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I have the Nexus 4 - the battery cannot be changed.

It is positively the nicest phone that Android has ever been on. It's the first time that someone has paid enough attention to the design, fit and finish of a phone to almost put it in the orbit of something that Apple might have made. (Very understated, minimal design, glass back, no garish screen colors, etc.)

My wife's iPhone is nearly a piece of art, though. The ecosystem is a generation ahead in terms of content and there are some simply beautiful apps that don't exist on Android. Whenever I don't have an iPhone, like now, I start to miss that.

Just as aside, don't put a $5 battery in a $600 phone. Just don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom