OT: iPad Pro 9.7 vs iPad Air 2 | The Boneyard

OT: iPad Pro 9.7 vs iPad Air 2

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My daughter is off to high school next year and will need an iPad for school. She has a mini now but it isn't adequate. The school has all the books etc., even some art projects via iPads.

BJs has the 128gb version of the pro for $600 and the Air 2 for $450. If the pro can get her through all four years, it's the smart choice. If not, I'll be buying another one and the Air 2 would make sense.

Thoughts? I'm not sure the pro is $150 better.

Reaction Score
The Pro is supposedly Apple's competitor to Microsoft's Surface Pro, which is a fairly capable laptop in tablet form. I think that's a little much to view textbooks, The Air 2 is probably more than enough

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
save your money and buy a Microsoft Surface, superior in every aspect except "apple-ness".

Reaction Score
You have to understand that you are paying for a device that has the same/slightly worse specs (numbers) as all its competitors (samsung, microsoft, etc.) but are paying more....that extra 200 or even 300 bucks you might be paying is literally for that pretty looking apple logo and that is it. My question is, does it have to be an apple? I remember getting a wonderful samsung tablet for like 850,000 pesos a few years back, which is less than 300 USD and it still works beautifully, so far. The same apple with the same specs was like 1.8 to 2 million pesos or like 625 to 675 bucks when I was looking for a tablet..ya, I walked away laughing. Go with something other than an apple IMO (plus they always switch up the charger for no apparent reason, my iphone 4 charger can't even work with an iphone 5 charger and vis versa, etc. etc. etc., you can have 5 apple products and have 5 different chargers for all of them, I swear)

If it has to be an ipad, can't you get it used? I got an ipad mini 2 for around 100 bucks, maybe 125 and it is like new, owner had used it for less than 10 hours. It functions fine. If it has to be an apple, why not an older mini version? And why not used?

My favorite apple product of all time is the ipod classic 160 gb generation 5. Apple has not made a product that comes close IMO or is as durable. I do have an iphone 4, the models have only gotten worse since that (much higher price tag, very little changes especially with specs considering the price tag + the ipad mini I have.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My daughter is off to high school next year and will need an iPad for school. She has a mini now but it isn't adequate. The school has all the books etc., even some art projects via iPads.

BJs has the 128gb version of the pro for $600 and the Air 2 for $450. If the pro can get her through all four years, it's the smart choice. If not, I'll be buying another one and the Air 2 would make sense.

Thoughts? I'm not sure the pro is $150 better.

Different animals.

The Smart Keyboard for the Pro makes it more appropriate for what she's using it for.

You might want to wait a few weeks, though. I suspect new versions are arriving.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You have to understand that you are paying for a device that has the same/slightly worse specs (numbers) as all its competitors (samsung, microsoft, etc.) but are paying more....that extra 200 or even 300 bucks you might be paying is literally for that pretty looking apple logo and that is it. My question is, does it have to be an apple? I remember getting a wonderful samsung tablet for like 850,000 pesos a few years back, which is less than 300 USD and it still works beautifully, so far. The same apple with the same specs was like 1.8 to 2 million pesos or like 625 to 675 bucks when I was looking for a tablet..ya, I walked away laughing. Go with something other than an apple IMO (plus they always switch up the charger for no apparent reason, my iphone 4 charger can't even work with an iphone 5 charger and vis versa, etc. etc. etc., you can have 5 apple products and have 5 different chargers for all of them, I swear)

If it has to be an ipad, can't you get it used? I got an ipad mini 2 for around 100 bucks, maybe 125 and it is like new, owner had used it for less than 10 hours. It functions fine. If it has to be an apple, why not an older mini version? And why not used?

My favorite apple product of all time is the ipod classic 160 gb generation 5. Apple has not made a product that comes close IMO or is as durable. I do have an iphone 4, the models have only gotten worse since that (much higher price tag, very little changes especially with specs considering the price tag + the ipad mini I have.

Yes it has to be Apple. That's a school requirement. A mini isn't really adequate for taking notes and school books. All her books will be on it. I don't think the current pro has worse specs than any other tablet. The S3 may beat it when it comes out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Different animals.

The Smart Keyboard for the Pro makes it more appropriate for what she's using it for.

You might want to wait a few weeks, though. I suspect new versions are arriving.

Ok. I'll look into that Wasn't sure when the Pro2 was coming out. Assumed the fall, which is too late.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I do have an iphone 4, the models have only gotten worse since that (much higher price tag, very little changes especially with specs considering the price tag + the ipad mini I have.

iPhone 4 - $649.
iPhone 7 - $649.

Reaction Score
What I was saying, when I was in the market for a new tablet a few years ago, is when I compared the samsung I eventually got with an apple with similar specs, the apple was like double the cost. If it has to be an apple, IMO, I would check on amazon/ebay/anything else online to get it used IMO. The ipad mini I got was a heck of a lot cheaper being used but "like new" and nothing wrong with it. I am sure you could find the pro or air used. Especially if you wait for a new model to come out, the one you are currently after will drop in price even more.

Reaction Score
iPhone 4 - $649.
iPhone 7 - $649.
Got mine used for 50 bucks. Apple pricing is just stupid. That proves it if it is true but I do find it hard to believe.

edit: Surely those must be verizon, who along with claro are two of the worst telecommunication companies in the world, verizon is worse because they grossly overcharge on their phones, it is disgusting. Other website I am looking at list the iphone 4 for 200 bucks max.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What I was saying, when I was in the market for a new tablet a few years ago, is when I compared the samsung I eventually got with an apple with similar specs, the apple was like double the cost. If it has to be an apple, IMO, I would check on amazon/ebay/anything else online to get it used IMO. The ipad mini I got was a heck of a lot cheaper being used but "like new" and nothing wrong with it. I am sure you could find the pro or air used. Especially if you wait for a new model to come out, the one you are currently after will drop in price even more.

Reports are saying the new Pro 2 comes out next week. Explains why BJs had it on sale. She said most of the kids at this school have a Pro with keyboard, so that's what I'll probably get her. I do usually check the refurbished prices but it's a school device at a private school I'm already paying for, so won't get "used".

Reaction Score
Pro - better camera, better processor, smart connector (for accessories like keyboard), Apple Pencil compatible, etc...

New models to be available in a few weeks. The announcement is coming very soon.

Once new models announced, compare and buy, only a few weeks to wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom