OT: In the "It could be worse department" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: In the "It could be worse department"

Reaction Score
I know two men (age 40-50) that only watch Woman's BB as their sports passion and have no interest in other sports. i don't know what the deal is there. It's kind of creepy and they are socially awkward types.

That said, I think they are pretty amazing to watch as an example of total team play. They are UConn and I'll root for them and catch some games, but the delusion that they are the epitome of the finest basketball played on earth is a joke. If we want to talk true gender equality, a poor d-3 men's basketball squad would shred them into a thousand pieces.

A good high school boys team would destroy them. That said, I had 2 friends today who were genuinely happy that they lost night. I don't get that either.

Reaction Score
A good high school boys team would destroy them. That said, I had 2 friends today who were genuinely happy that they lost night. I don't get that either.
Either misogynism, they hate UConn or the state of Connecticut. Or are jealous of success.

I am not sure if a crappy D3 men's team would beat the women. A crappy D3 team can't shoot. Babson (national champs) might be a different story.

Reaction Score
Either misogynism, they hate UConn or the state of Connecticut. Or are jealous of success.

I am not sure if a crappy D3 men's team would beat the women. A crappy D3 team can't shoot. Babson (national champs) might be a different story.
I'm guessing they would be man handled ...no pun intended. The men players are just bigger, stronger and faster even at that level. ..pure uncontested shooting... you have a point

Reaction Score

They wouldn't have to shoot. They would literally beat the women's team by 50.

Reaction Score
Holy moly, dude. No need to denigrate the accomplishments of women. It wasn't Eve's fault. I am not a women's basketball fan but am certainly amazed at what they've accomplished. Women have intelligence, too. They've been playing principled basketball, that's how they've managed to get to a streak of 111 wins. Our team doesn't have superior size right now, they've won due to passing and shooting. Old school style.
I think you need to read more carefully. There is nothing denigrating. The context is people like grown men that follow only UConn woman's basketball. As I said, I root for them and enjoy the total team play and their amazing accomplishments . What I will not acknowledge is that they are the best in basketball. They are the best of the best in what they do ...which is women's college basketball. Some of the women fans live in their own PC world of make believe. I don't understand why they can be respected for what they do in the context in which they do it.

Reaction Score
I think you need to read more carefully. There is nothing denigrating. The context is people like grown men that follow only UConn woman's basketball. As I said, I root for them and enjoy the total team play and their amazing accomplishments . What I will not acknowledge is that they are the best in basketball. They are the best of the best in what they do ...which is women's college basketball. Some of the women fans live in their own PC world of make believe. I don't understand why they can be respected for what they do in the context in which they do it.
The grown men following only women's basketball does sound sorta creepy to me, too. Kinda like being a woman's volleyball fan. I can't even let myself go to women's volleyball games or I'll feel I have violated society.

Team play wise? They were exceptional. We won because of game play and athleticism, with little depth and no real size advantages. We were supposed to lose more than once this season. FWIW, I do think Geno is a coaching genius. He uses basic game principles, for example lay ups, and psychology. He really emphasizes high percentage shots. He also tries to keep his ego in check, as well as his players.

Reaction Score
The grown men following only women's basketball does sound sorta creepy to me, too. Kinda like being a woman's volleyball fan. I can't even let myself go to women's volleyball games or I'll feel I have violated society.

Team play wise? They were exceptional. We won because of game play and athleticism, with little depth and no real size advantages. We were supposed to lose more than once this season. FWIW, I do think Geno is a coaching genius. He uses basic game principles, for example lay ups, and psychology. He really emphasizes high percentage shots. He also tries to keep his ego in check, as well as his players.
Geno is as good they come and I would at any level.

Reaction Score
You neanderthals know they practice against guys every day, right? Guys that starred in HS and could have played in college (D1 to D3), but but decided to go to UConn instead for whatever good reason they had. A colleague of mine played for the practice team when and they regularly would lose scrimmages.

Reaction Score
You neanderthals know they practice against guys every day, right? Guys that starred in HS and could have played in college (D1 to D3), but but decided to go to UConn instead for whatever good reason they had. A colleague of mine played for the practice team when and they regularly would lose scrimmages.
Yeah ..ok

Reaction Score

Lol. Ok. I generally don't waste my arguing about this because:

A. I'm right
B. It's foolish
C. It always turns into to these Neanderthal comments

Reaction Score
I know a few older retired couples who never watched any sports their whole lives. Now in their retired life they decided they were going to watch women's basketball and baseball. Probably the last two sport I would watch.

As far as the men's basketball/football fan thing goes, there used to be a fan that sat in front of me at the Rent who was a Cuse grad. He became a UConn football season ticket holder and would root for the football team. He told me he would never root for UConn basketball though. I can understand why someone who graduated from another school would root for football and not basketball especially if they graduated from a 1aa ,d2 or a school with no football program.

Reaction Score
I root for everything UConn except Susan Herbst.

I don't care what teams or sports you root for. That's your choice. I'm a huge football and basketball fan (both men and women). I'll watch the baseball regionals but I don't like soccer or hockey. I still donate to the school and support all the programs. I'm in my seat for kickoff. But whether you care about supporting the athletic department or not, JMick's comment above may be one of the strangest. She may be the one person who truly deserves a standing ovation. You should say a prayer every night that she's our Prez.

Reaction Score
I don't care what teams or sports you root for. That's your choice. I'm a huge football and basketball fan (both men and women). I'll watch the baseball regionals but I don't like soccer or hockey. I still donate to the school and support all the programs. I'm in my seat for kickoff. But whether you care about supporting the athletic department or not, JMick's comment above may be one of the strangest. She may be the one person who truly deserves a standing ovation. You should say a prayer every night that she's our Prez.
gonna go out on a limb here and say you weren't a student while she was president

Reaction Score
A Class S boys team would crush the women's team. If they beat a quality men's practice squad, it is because they are well coached and pushed hard and the guys weren't pushed at all and don't practice together at all.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I know a few older retired couples who never watched any sports their whole lives. Now in their retired life they decided they were going to watch women's basketball and baseball. Probably the last two sport I would watch.

As far as the men's basketball/football fan thing goes, there used to be a fan that sat in front of me at the Rent who was a Cuse grad. He became a UConn football season ticket holder and would root for the football team. He told me he would never root for UConn basketball though. I can understand why someone who graduated from another school would root for football and not basketball especially if they graduated from a 1aa ,d2 or a school with no football program.
One of the problems we have as a football fanbase is that many of the bball fans adopted other schools in the 80's-90's because we weren't playing the highest level. Penn St, ND, Cuse, even Nebraska. Probably blasphemy but I rooted for Cuse (and 1AA UConn) back in the day because they always had CT kids.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
One of the problems we have as a football fanbase is that many of the bball fans adopted other schools in the 80's-90's because we weren't playing the highest level. Penn St, ND, Cuse, even Nebraska. Probably blasphemy but I rooted for Cuse (and 1AA UConn) back in the day because they always had CT kids.

Pretty sure at this point we still need a second team to root for...I usually pull for Notre Dame along with UConn. Also like WVU

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The interest among fans is illustrated by the number of posts in each forum here.

Football: 367,636
Men's BB: 635,596
Women's BB: 550,888

There would probably be some P5 schools' internet forums where men's BB is 'above' FB: UK, UNC, Duke, IU, KU. That might be it, though.

I doubt there are any where women's BB and men's BB are above FB.

The lesson is: post more here, I guess?

Reaction Score
back in the 70's when I was in the service I would always look on the back sports page for "Connecticut" scores but I also rooted for the Longhorns of Texas. Since Calhoun put UConn on the map I've been an all out Husky fan and don't have any other favorite. I follow the football and both basketball teams religiously. I'm happy when the kids do well in the other sports.

Reaction Score
Bullpoop. The guys were there every day and became a cohesive unit. If the didnt give their all Geno would find others who would.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL; For These Men, Lots of Guts But Little Glory

The article says: "There are a few ground rules. While only a few of the male players are taller than 6 feet 4 inches, dunking is still frowned upon. The same goes for blocking shots. Common sense also says that an out-of-control fast break may be dangerous, so such highlight-reel play is discouraged."

When the men play with restrictions that makes the quality of their play less. Agree that an average D3 team would beat the Woman. They would not have size restrictions and play restrictions. They would also be organized to play to win, not assist the Woman's team in being better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Depends on the hire they make. We can't have a mopey pro style coach like Ollie.
With Adams and AG in the backcourt next season, I think that "mopey pro style" offense may well look pretty good. We'll see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know them, but I'd guess that not a single guy on the WBB practice team is a D1 level talent and D2 (and maybe even D3) might be pushing it.

You do know that Geno limits what the practice players can do, correct? They are given roles to prepare the team. It isn't a pick up game. Think about that minute, guys who likely could not play college ball must have restrictions on them to play against the best WBB program in the country. Doesn't that really tell you everything you need know about their relative capabilities?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom