OT: Illinois Vs Missouri | The Boneyard

OT: Illinois Vs Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
anybody else watching on ESPN2? Great game, probably won't see a more physical matchup between teams all year.

Reaction Score
Yea I'm watching. Interesting to see AO play for a different team. Doesn't seem like much of a changed player than what he was like for us

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Great to see the crowd and players have such intensity.

Alex is the same player. Coach Haith is up utilizing him a little bit more effectively resulting in fewer turnovers (guards are reluctant to feed him in the post unless clearly open and he seldom handles the ball in the high post). He is strong, has good timing for blocks and below average hands...same 'ole Alex

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yea I'm watching. Interesting to see AO play for a different team. Doesn't seem like much of a changed player than what he was like for us

Same awful hands, lack of toughness and crying to the refs.

Reaction Score
You guys see when refs had to separate him after he got the rebound ripped out of his hands?

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
AO is playing a lot better on Missouri, as much as it pains me to say that. It's all about fit in sports, though.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
This game has the feel and intensity of a tournament game.

Reaction Score
that was the first time I saw AO play for MO...it just didn't feel right seeing him in another jersey, I turned it off after a minute of watching, but I'm not going to hate on him for making a decision that he believed was best for him and his family. While I wish he was still wearing husky blue I wish him the best at MO.

zls44

Reaction Score
The reason Andre Drummond played over Alex Oriakhi last year is that ANDRE DRUMMOND WAS, AND IS, BETTER AT BASKETBALL.

DEAL WITH IT, ALEX.

Reaction Score
For all of AO's talk about lack of touches I still don't see him getting opportunities unless it's dump offs off of a dribble penetration. I haven't really seen any post up opportunities for him when he's had position.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Illinois is just ice cold...hard to win with how their normally good shotting guards are bricking it

zls44

Reaction Score
For all of AO's talk about lack of touches I still don't see him getting opportunities unless it's dump offs off of a dribble penetration. I haven't really seen any post up opportunities for him when he's had position.

He was wide open with 1:20 left and all four guys ignored him.

Which seems impossible, I mean, didn't Jeff Goodman say that Frank Haith was getting him more touches?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
That is the gameplan...if you don't feed Alex in the low post, he won't turn it over or shoot it too hard off the backboard. Haith would rather have Pressey or Bowers force it (good call if you ask me)

Reaction Score
When i watch games like these I always wish we had a true rival. I guess Syracuse comes close but losing to them does not make me go into depression for weeks like a rivalry game should. UMass had potential, but they fell off a cliff after Calipari. There was a decent rivalry with Rutgers in football and womens basketball, but their mens basketball was a non starter.

Reaction Score
Ironically, his numbers probably would have been much better had he stayed.

I don't see any way he gets drafted before the mid-2nd round. And that might be an optimistic prediction.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, from what I understand Alex's beef wasn't that AD got playing time but that Tyler did over him. Part of the problem was the perception was that Alex and AD did not play well together. But when you look at the +/- against good teams Alex may have had a point. I think we can see this season that Tyler just doesn't have high D-1 athleticism or even stamina. He does have some skills when not pressured to speed up the game. What drives KO crazy is he gets pushed out of rebounding position time and again.
I do think despite Alex's flaws Coach Calhoun made a mistake playing TO as much as he did early. It was one of the many things that screwed up team chemistry. I know George was fond of TO's, but I do think he was mistaken pushing TO for playing time.

Reaction Score
I am neither an Alex Oriakhi defender or hater. But for the record, he had a really good game tonight against a ranked oponent: 13 points and 14 rebounds.

zls44

Reaction Score
I am neither an Alex Oriakhi defender or hater. But for the record, he had a really good game tonight against a ranked oponent: 13 points and 14 rebounds.

He had a great first half. But they pulled away without him, and iced the game without him too.

Reaction Score
He had a great first half. But they pulled away without him, and iced the game without him too.

OK. But wouldn't it be nice if there was someone on the Huskies who could pull down 14 rebounds?

Reaction Score
He tanked it last year for Uconn, plain and simple. He showed up to the season out of shape and unprepared, and calhoun benched his ass. He pouted his way to horrible stats and derailed the chemistry of the team.

Reaction Score
He tanked it last year for Uconn, plain and simple. He showed up to the season out of shape and unprepared, and calhoun benched his ass. He pouted his way to horrible stats and derailed the chemistry of the team.

Thank Mots........it amazes me how people could watch him play with intensity that he did at times last night and say "...wish we had him here.."....why? The same guy who whined, bitched, disrespected his coach and blew any hope for chemistry with his low level form of play? If anything when he jumped into the group of 5-6 guys and ripped a rebound or 2 out it pissed me off..........he deserved to sit and he got it and anyone who wants to make excuses for the stiff is wrong, at least for his performance for last year....please stop. Just be happy your guy is having fun and Mizzou and finally found a reason to give effort again on the basketball court. 1st time in 2 years I remind you!!

Reaction Score
He was wide open with 1:20 left and all four guys ignored him.

Which seems impossible, I mean, didn't Jeff Goodman say that Frank Haith was getting him more touches?

Given how much he was twitter-blowing AO last during the game last night, Jeff Goodman probably had to wipe his smartphone clean on more than one occasion.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, from what I understand Alex's beef wasn't that AD got playing time but that Tyler did over him. Part of the problem was the perception was that Alex and AD did not play well together. But when you look at the +/- against good teams Alex may have had a point. I think we can see this season that Tyler just doesn't have high D-1 athleticism or even stamina. He does have some skills when not pressured to speed up the game. What drives KO crazy is he gets pushed out of rebounding position time and again.
I do think despite Alex's flaws Coach Calhoun made a mistake playing TO as much as he did early. It was one of the many things that screwed up team chemistry. I know George was fond of TO's, but I do think he was mistaken pushing TO for playing time.

TO gave UConn an important 5 minutes at the start of every game the NC year. He even scored the first basket often. The team was so tin up front that it knew Okwandu and Oriakhi would be in foul trouble if they went at it off the bat. Calhoun's strategy with Olander worked, whatever it was. Last year, it may have been different, but I don't remember Olander getting many minutes. And we all know Calhoun's 2 foul rule. Orakhi should have watched video of the 2004 semifinal against Duke to understand what happens when you get 2 fouls. You sit. Better players than Oriakhi have sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom