OT: I need advice on buying a Mac | The Boneyard

OT: I need advice on buying a Mac

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My daughter is going off to college and wants a Mac. Is there anything in particular that I should look for in specs or models?

I appreciate any advice. I'm not an Apple guy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We are doing the same. Apparently there are some new models coming out this summer? Mother-in-law has generously offered to buy her the latest and greatest as her graduation present, so we're waiting a month or so; and I believe there are college student discounts, as well.

Congrats, CL. Exciting times. Ours just graduated on Monday and we just got back from her summer orientation Friday night; and moments ago I just booked her train tickets home for Thanksgiving break (upon realizing during this trip how much timing affect the cost of Amtrak tickets)!. Quite a roller coaster.

Reaction Score
We are doing the same. Apparently there are some new models coming out this summer? Mother-in-law has generously offered to buy her the latest and greatest as her graduation present, so we're waiting a month or so; and I believe there are college student discounts, as well.

Congrats, CL. Exciting times. Ours just graduated on Monday and we just got back from her summer orientation Friday night; and moments ago I just booked her train tickets home for Thanksgiving break (upon realizing during this trip how much timing affect the cost of Amtrak tickets)!. Quite a roller coaster.
No need to wait, new models have already been introduced a couple of weeks ago. My daughter going of to college too and probably going to go with the 13" Macbook Pro too, like above.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No need to wait, new models have already been introduced a couple of weeks ago. My daughter going of to college too and probably going to go with the 13" Macbook Pro too, like above.
Thanks. I went and checked after I posted and just realized that. The last few weeks have been a blur...

CL82

Reaction Score

Congrats to you and daughter as well! Yep it's a fun time for the kids and for us as parents. Graduation was last and orientation is next week. We are in the mist of grad parties now. I remember a lot of the kids from middle school up and some of them from pre-K. It is pretty cool to see the young men and women they are becoming.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Best advixe: don't.

Especially if you haven't been a Mac family before.

Expensive and laughably overrated.
I'm not a fan, but my kids are.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan, but my kids are.

I'm nonplussed about them (would have no problem using one, but choose not to). But yeah, the kids love em. And if they have an iphone, easy integration makes it a slam dunk. And tons of college campuses are Apple, so that syncs up as well.

Reaction Score
I switched to Mac three years ago and I love it. I have the former Macbook 13" and its awesome. The display is amazing, the keyboard is great and the thing works like a charm. I run large excel files, word, videos, games you name it, no problem. I carry it in an Ipad case, its so compact. Its never so much as hiccuped. No problems at all. I was on PC for 20 years before that with constant problems. One thing I like to do is plug into a really large screen when I'm deep into excel work.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I switched to Mac three years ago and I love it. I have the former Macbook 13" and its awesome. The display is amazing, the keyboard is great and the thing works like a charm. I run large excel files, word, videos, games you name it, no problem. I carry it in an Ipad case, its so compact. Its never so much as hiccuped. No problems at all. I was on PC for 20 years before that with constant problems. One thing I like to do is plug into a really large screen when I'm deep into excel work.

I agree with this. Once I switched to Mac, I stopped swapping out my laptop every year due to issues.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'm nonplussed about them (would have no problem using one, but choose not to). But yeah, the kids love em. And if they have an iphone, easy integration makes it a slam dunk. And tons of college campuses are Apple, so that syncs up as well.

This is sort of non-responsive. I like the easy integration, too ... which is why I actually have a Windows phone. There aren't many of us, "The few, the proud," etc. It syncs everything with my desktop, my Surface at work, and my traveling HP Elite laptop. I've had an iPhone in the past, and hated the iCloud, love OneDrive. Also, Apple screwed up text messaging, so that since I once had an iPhone, anyone in my contacts that has one, has previously sent me texts when I did, and that doesn't modify their settings for SMG has trouble sending me texts, and I get blamed. All the rest of my house drank the Apple Kool-Aid, however, so I'm considered a total weirdo.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Best advixe: don't.

Especially if you haven't been a Mac family before.

Expensive and laughably overrated.
Nothing like unbiased advice! :rolleyes:

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I went to their refurb site and got one there. Saved $400 plus and got the regular warranties. My kid needed a mac for design stuff. I was happy enough. Got 3 plus years and then he broke it. Dumb A**.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Nothing like unbiased advice! :rolleyes:

I owned a PC laptop until thanksgiving 2016 and I still use a PC at work.

I have used both.

I don't see what the big deal is, or why it's 3x the price. It's just not a great value.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's a reason they cost more.

At this point: Status symbol. They used to be at the forefront of tech, but now others have caught up, and even surpassed in a number of areas.

No knock on Apple mind you. The build quality is still excellent.

If you think 'cost more = better', I've got a ton of stuff to sell you.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There's a reason they cost more.

That's just stupid. The reason they cost more is marketing and design. And Im not against Apple. I own them and have bought my high school daughter 2 of them in the last 8 months. But "the reason they cost more" yeah, no.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Every PC I've own was a pain to maintain. My Macs have been trouble free. A greater learning curve, yes. But far fewer problems.

Yeah, I can understand that. I could even get paying a little more for that inconvenience, but 3x is a hard sell in terms of value.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Every PC I've own was a pain to maintain. My Macs have been trouble free. A greater learning curve, yes. But far fewer problems.
We are well into year 6 on the last iMac desktop I bought, the previous one lasted 5 plus before the hardware could no longer keep up with newer software demands. Never had a problem that I couldn't work out on my own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom