OT: Hurricane, and I Don't Mean Miami | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane, and I Don't Mean Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a native of New Orleans, a victim of Katrina, and a veteran of a lifetime of hurricanes big and small, I have to say that I do not recall any that appeared as ominous as this one as US mainland landfall approaches. As my Northeastern friends are becoming aware, the "gasoline" that intensifies the "fire" posed by these storms is ever-warmer seawater temperatures, especially when combined with ever-rising sea levels. All of us who are taxpayers are about to be confronted with the consequences. It's pointless to suggest that many of our fellow countrymen are "foolishly" residing in vulnerable areas. As Sandy proved, emerging climate realities are increasing the levels of vulnerability everywhere...as well as in flood-prone parts of the country, tornado-prone plains, pretty much everywhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Checked out Walmart this morning in Hudson FL:
No water
No bread
No soup
No tuna or canned meat
No flashlights
No Chef Boyardee anything
And I mean NONE.

Some gas stations have run out of gas.
People are crazy.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Just saw that after my post. Not good for Florida in any event.

Irma is not good period. Latest has Irma going up the east coast with a possible land strike around Miami. Then hugging the coast, out in the water, with a possible land strike around Jacksonville. Then onto Georgia.

In Poincianna - water is still available but you have to hit the stores just right. No propane is available. Most staples are still available. I talked with a Publix manager this morning and they have trucks coming in as fast as possible with staples, bread. Not much of a chance of water.

Our youngest son, the sailor - a submariner, will be going out with his boat shortly. No Naval vessels will be in port along the entire East coast. This is standard Navy operating procedures. Because of security, we will not now when he goes out or comes back.

Reaction Score
I live in Florida. Thought I would get some gas. Pulled into the station. Wow, I only had one car in front of me. Great! After that car pulled away, I pulled up to the pump. A guy pulled his car around from the other side, pulling up uncomfortably close, and gets out of his car. He says, "Hey, there's a line over there!" I hadn't even noticed. I just pulled into a gas station like I usually do. I sheepishly pulled out without getting gas. But I don't know if he was right to set the rules of the gas station. There are two entrances. I happened to get in the shorter line. I guess I'm going to have to rethink my grocery store etiquette. I always get into the shortest line. Apparently that's wrong.

But things are getting a bit crazy. As strong as this storm appears, people are freaking out beyond what is reasonable. I think it's because of Harvey. At another gas station near me, someone pulled a gun, apparently in a line dispute.

One of my biggest concerns is that I probably won't be able to watch the CT Sun in their playoff game after watching them all season.

Reaction Score
As a native of New Orleans, a victim of Katrina, and a veteran of a lifetime of hurricanes big and small, I have to say that I do not recall any that appeared as ominous as this one as US mainland landfall approaches. As my Northeastern friends are becoming aware, the "gasoline" that intensifies the "fire" posed by these storms is ever-warmer seawater temperatures, especially when combined with ever-rising sea levels. All of us who are taxpayers are about to be confronted with the consequences. It's pointless to suggest that many of our fellow countrymen are "foolishly" residing in vulnerable areas. As Sandy proved, emerging climate realities are increasing the levels of vulnerability everywhere...as well as in flood-prone parts of the country, tornado-prone plains, pretty much everywhere!
Absolutely right. We were in the Atlantic Ocean here at Fort Pierce over the weekend and it was something like 84 degrees. That's enough to keep any hurricane going. You expoect those temperatures in the Gulf, or even in the Keys, but not up the coast where we are.

Reaction Score
I live in Florida. Thought I would get some gas. Pulled into the station. Wow, I only had one car in front of me. Great! After that car pulled away, I pulled up to the pump. A guy pulled his car around from the other side, pulling up uncomfortably close, and gets out of his car. He says, "Hey, there's a line over there!" I hadn't even noticed. I just pulled into a gas station like I usually do. I sheepishly pulled out without getting gas. But I don't know if he was right to set the rules of the gas station. There are two entrances. I happened to get in the shorter line. I guess I'm going to have to rethink my grocery store etiquette. I always get into the shortest line. Apparently that's wrong.

But things are getting a bit crazy. As strong as this storm appears, people are freaking out beyond what is reasonable. I think it's because of Harvey. At another gas station near me, someone pulled a gun, apparently in a line dispute.

One of my biggest concerns is that I probably won't be able to watch the CT Sun in their playoff game after watching them all season.
You're right about panic. Tonight I am told that Route 95 north is a parking lot, albeit one moving at 25-50 mph. Regular gas is all but out here in south Florida, and mid grade is selling for $3,25 or so. Of course people will pay if they have to get away. If we leave (my wife is resisting the idea), we will travel west, where the storm apparently is not going.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

It makes no sense to repeatedly rebuild in areas that have been hit multiple times in the past. The fact other areas not as historically prone to natural disasters are now being hit does not change this reality.

Reaction Score
Booked my Palm Beach County resident step mother / brother and their dog on a flight up north. Leaves out of Orlando tomorrow (Friday) night. My step mother was resisting, but gave in. Hopefully this thing turns out to sea and we just have an uneventful visit and a funny story to tell about our overreaction. Good luck to all those in the model spaghetti tracks.

Reaction Score
It makes no sense to repeatedly rebuild in areas that have been hit multiple times in the past. The fact other areas not as historically prone to natural disasters are now being hit does not change this reality.
Uh-huh...well, I sincerely hope that South Florida, which has "been hit multiple times in the past," is spared the worst of what currently looks so ominous, but are you suggesting that the city of Miami not be rebuilt if severely damaged? Glad I don't have to explain it to them!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Uh-huh...well, I sincerely hope that South Florida, which has "been hit multiple times in the past," is spared the worst of what currently looks so ominous, but are you suggesting that the city of Miami not be rebuilt if severely damaged? Glad I don't have to explain it to them!

I lived in Florida for several years. Very strict building codes as a result of past natural disasters, and better planning for ways to move the water. Unfortunately, Florida is becoming overbuilt to, and every sq ft of land that is built on or paved over, means the water has nowhere to go. If they get hit by a cat 5 there will be casualties and damage, but I doubt it'll be nearly as bad as Texas or Louisiana.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well it seems that Irma is coming right up the middle of Florida. No area of the state will be spared hurricane force winds. So for us in the Kissimmee/ Poincianna area, the prediction is Irma will be a Cat 2 when she comes thru! All forecasters are saying be done with everything by 5 PM Saturday and then hunker down.

On a positive note, Gov. Scott has been proactive in making sure that the state is as prepared as possible for Irma. State Attorney General Pam Bondi has made it clear that price gouging will not be tolerated. She already has Chevron in her crosshairs!

Our son's boat is out to sea as of yesterday morning. The base has a mandatory evacuation order in place.

To all the Florida Boneyarders - stay safe!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In light of the severity of this storm's wind and potential storm surge brother has modified his usual plan and sought out a much bigger/taller parking garage.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I keep checking on my brother and sister-in-law north of Tampa, just over the Pasco County line. They usually ignore hurricane warnings, as they have not been in one since Gloria in '85 back in Mass.
I kept telling them to prep, but they didn't listen until their friends over on the coast by Tarpon Springs called asking if they could find them some water because all the stores near them were out. That was Tuesday night.
After much kerfuffle and very early morning runs to Wal Mart and Publix (they restock in the small hours of the am), they have water, fuel for the generator, many batteries and flashlights, cars filled (I hope), and a portable am/fm radio. They are commencing to cook lots of chicken, etc., which they can freeze, and or keep in coolers.
I did not know this was recommended, but all the folks in their little gated community have put their outdoor chairs and pool furniture in the bottom of their pools so they can't blow around. (not the cushions, the chairs and chaises.)
I sort of hoped they would grab the dog and get out of Dodge. But the traffic on 75 - about 7 miles east of them - is so bad, who
knows how long it would take to get to the other side of Atlanta, which may be the closest safe place.
So they are going to ride it out, and all the far-flung family will just wait and worry. Fingers crossed!!!

Best wishes and prayers to all of you in Irma's path. Stay safe!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I just called my buddy in Orlando Metro... to see if he was gonna hunker down and ride it out..... turns out... he was already in Charlotte :p He looked at the forecast shifted yesterday evening with it possibly coming up through the middle of the state......... and packed up the mini-van and split town at midnight and drove all night. Said may have stayed if it was just him and his wife... but he has 4 children... including a 5 and a 2 year old...... and didnt want to subject them to that and the aftermath... especially if power was off for a long time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Latest update - Irma has shifted (so says the forecast) and will make land around Ft. Myers on late Saturday/ early Sunday as a Cat 4. Prediction is up the west coast of Florida, close to Tampa and then into Georgia.

Here in central Florida it seems we will get Cat 1 winds starting Sunday evening and going into Monday. Rain from today thru Monday could total around 10 inches. One of our neighbors came over yesterday wondering who was staying and who was going. Most on our street are staying. If we loose power, a definite possibility, Since I'm the one with the Coleman propane stove, I'll be cooking and making sure we all have coffee in the mornings. We all decided we have plenty of wine, beer, bourbon, vodka, cheese and crackers.

In our community we check on our neighbors to make sure we will all be safe.

Florida Boneyarders - stay safe out there!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Well, the family has boarded up the most exposed windows and doors. Thunderstorms have begun, nasty tornado warnings, too. Scary part is that the worst will come overnight, from 8 PM to 8 AM. I think they have prepared all that they can. The eye will pass a mere 20 miles west of them, if the course stays the same.
They plan on watching their fav - Courtney Williams - in the 3 PM Sun game if they still have power. Have to try to have some normalcy, right?
Not going to lie, frightened for them and praying a lot.

Stay safe, all you Yarders down there!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I keep checking on my brother and sister-in-law north of Tampa, just over the Pasco County line. They usually ignore hurricane warnings, as they have not been in one since Gloria in '85 back in Mass.
I kept telling them to prep, but they didn't listen until their friends over on the coast by Tarpon Springs called asking if they could find them some water because all the stores near them were out. That was Tuesday night.
After much kerfuffle and very early morning runs to Wal Mart and Publix (they restock in the small hours of the am), they have water, fuel for the generator, many batteries and flashlights, cars filled (I hope), and a portable am/fm radio. They are commencing to cook lots of chicken, etc., which they can freeze, and or keep in coolers.
I did not know this was recommended, but all the folks in their little gated community have put their outdoor chairs and pool furniture in the bottom of their pools so they can't blow around. (not the cushions, the chairs and chaises.)
I sort of hoped they would grab the dog and get out of Dodge. But the traffic on 75 - about 7 miles east of them - is so bad, who
knows how long it would take to get to the other side of Atlanta, which may be the closest safe place.
So they are going to ride it out, and all the far-flung family will just wait and worry. Fingers crossed!!!

Best wishes and prayers to all of you in Irma's path. Stay safe!!

Pretty much same story for my brother 10 miles south of Hollywood. With the left hand turn he's potentially lucky. Tampa not so much. Good thoughts to you and yours.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have a friend in Fort Lauderdale and I thought she was crazy a few days ago by not evacuating....... looks like they dodged a bullet

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Weather Channel guy doing the heroic fake news thing in Naples now, standing, sort of, in a 130mph gusting wind, Chair to Wet Guy: You be safe Mike. Take a little break. Stuff cracks me up for its predictability, but terrifying for Naples. Been out there for hours and he has to be exhausted. Somebody put a tether on him; it'll be even more dramatic ... right until a flying stop sign cuts him in half on live TV!

Reaction Score
Well, the family has boarded up the most exposed windows and doors. Thunderstorms have begun, nasty tornado warnings, too. Scary part is that the worst will come overnight, from 8 PM to 8 AM. I think they have prepared all that they can. The eye will pass a mere 20 miles west of them, if the course stays the same.
They plan on watching their fav - Courtney Williams - in the 3 PM Sun game if they still have power. Have to try to have some normalcy, right?
Not going to lie, frightened for them and praying a lot.

Stay safe, all you Yarders down there!!

Positive energy and thoughts for your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom