OT: Hurricane, and I Don't Mean Miami | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane, and I Don't Mean Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wish us luck. The weather experts are now saying the most likely resolution of Irma's path is to hang a right after Cuba, which would bring it in over most of South Florida, the out over water and into the Carolinas. Yes, there's lots that can happen between now and then (they are saying Sunday is probably when it would happen. Personally, I think that is later than it will occur).

The less likely scenario is it curves before Cuba and passes up the coast. This is the most desired outcome. It'd most likely be like Matthew, perhaps even better.

The least likely scenario brings it into the Gulf of Mexico and curving over Florida somewhere up the coast and then across the peninsula. Those of us living on the East Coast find it hardest to deal with this prospect because first, we generally head west to et out of the storm's way, and that would mean driving right into it; and second, we won't know where it is going until late in the game, making it difficult to plan a route.

If the likely scenario happens, they are talking about mandatory evacuations on the East Coast. Which they SHOULD be, believe me. After what we saw with Harvey, the benefits of ordering someone to leave their property are obvious, as long as you have an effective evacuation plan. Which I am betting the Florida folks do not have. Sigh.

In other words, starting oh, say, Wednesday, Watch This Space, as they say. The stories of panicked drivers flooding the interstates (and remember, this is Florida. These folks have guns) should be amusing, at the very least.

As for us, we have a manufactured home, so if it's predicted to be more than a Cat 1 in our area we just close it up, pack our animals, and leave, no matter what. Where we leave to go....that's the question.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wish us luck. The weather experts are now saying the most likely resolution of Irma's path is to hang a right after Cuba, which would bring it in over most of South Florida, the out over water and into the Carolinas. Yes, there's lots that can happen between now and then (they are saying Sunday is probably when it would happen. Personally, I think that is later than it will occur).

The less likely scenario is it curves before Cuba and passes up the coast. This is the most desired outcome. It'd most likely be like Matthew, perhaps even better.

The least likely scenario brings it into the Gulf of Mexico and curving over Florida somewhere up the coast and then across the peninsula. Those of us living on the East Coast find it hardest to deal with this prospect because first, we generally head west to et out of the storm's way, and that would mean driving right into it; and second, we won't know where it is going until late in the game, making it difficult to plan a route.

If the likely scenario happens, they are talking about mandatory evacuations on the East Coast. Which they SHOULD be, believe me. After what we saw with Harvey, the benefits of ordering someone to leave their property are obvious, as long as you have an effective evacuation plan. Which I am betting the Florida folks do not have. Sigh.

In other words, starting oh, say, Wednesday, Watch This Space, as they say. The stories of panicked drivers flooding the interstates (and remember, this is Florida. These folks have guns) should be amusing, at the very least.

As for us, we have a manufactured home, so if it's predicted to be more than a Cat 1 in our area we just close it up, pack our animals, and leave, no matter what. Where we leave to go....that's the question.
Be safe! Irma looks to be another nasty storm. Harvey set the bar for destruction, largely because it stalled and rained in Biblical amounts. Don't take anything lightly.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Here we are in Central Florida - one year now. Getting prepped for Irma. Still a little early to tell exactly what Irma will do when she get close or over Cuba. Looks like she will turn north. One option is up the east coast, bounce off Florida and into Georgia. Another one is Irma does come inland in the central Florida area. And the possibility of her going up the west coast and inland around Sarasota is also there. Will most likely know more by Friday.

Went out to get some more bottled water at the local Walmart and the panic has set in. The shelves were empty of water - only gallon jugs. Bread isle was almost empty - at lest they had rye bread. Went to get a couple more propane bottles for the Coleman camp stove and there was only one left!

We are pretty much set if power goes out. # Coleman battery operated lanterns ready to go. 3 Coleman propane lanterns ready to go plus the Coleman stove and the big grill.

The Governor Scott has already issued a State of Emergency for the entire state.

Reaction Score
Yes, huskynut, we're here a year almost exactly as well, and we're in Fort Pierce, on the coast. Not even gallon jugs where we are. Our issue is the three dogs, four cats and three foster cats in cages, and this week we are taking care of a neighbor's two dogs as well. And our 11-year-old grandson is visiting. We will pack up our trailer and head, well, somewhere. Last year we went across the state because Matthew as a coastal storm. We stayed in a luxury RV park and it all worked out well. We can do that again if Irma goes coastal, so to speak, but if it comes in from the west, we;'re screwed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My relationship with Florida is that my wife owns a few rental units
Three months ago, I told her: it was time to sell.
A profusion of articles appearing about when all would know Florida is untenable.
Of course, she didn't.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If need be the Huskies will mobilize to help.

DIgVUQ5UIAAxYnQ.jpg

Gonna make my usual call to brother in Hallendale about hurricane prep.

OBTW: His invariable plan is load victuals and valuables in the car and drive 6 miles inland and park at least 3 stories up in a hospital's parking tower.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I cannot say that I miss these concerns having exited the state of Florida a few years back! In the ten years I was in Miami I got hit by one Cat 1 hurricane that came in from the west coast about 4 months after I arrived - I lost power for two days but other areas of Coconut Grove were out for 4+ weeks and I was amazed how few essential businesses actually had their own generators - no gas stations, no supermarkets, etc. That was the one and only hurricane I saw in Miami, while I saw two hit the CT coast! Go figure!

This one looks bad, so good luck to all FL residents and Atlantic coast residents. The one positive is that most of the tracks that look really bad for FL have it spending some time along the Cuban coast which should weaken it some.

Reaction Score
Having deployed the the Mississippi Gulf Coast with Maryland's FEMA Urban Search and Rescue team after Hurricane Katrina, I would definitely evacuate my family sooner rather than later. We were in Waveland Mississippi at the point of landfall where the storm surge was estimated to have been 20+ feet high and pretty much everything from the beach to a distance of about 1 to 1-1/2 miles from the beach was swept away. Seeing that put to rest any thoughts I had of buying ocean front property on the east coast or the Gulf of Mexico.

We have a team put together and ready to deploy (we were ready to go to Texas for Harvey but we only sent boats and water rescue resources. They are still there). One team has already been sent to stage in Puerto Rico. Depending on the storm's eventual track, we may not go anywhere if it looks like the storm could impact the Atlantic coast and/or the Chesapeake Bay. I am not too upset that I am not on rotation this month, although if the storm is large enough and causes widespread problems, I may end up going somewhere.

Reaction Score
We have a team put together and ready to deploy (we were ready to go to Texas for Harvey but we only sent boats and water rescue resources. They are still there). One team has already been sent to stage in Puerto Rico. Depending on the storm's eventual track, we may not go anywhere if it looks like the storm could impact the Atlantic coast and/or the Chesapeake Bay. I am not too upset that I am not on rotation this month, although if the storm is large enough and causes widespread problems, I may end up going somewhere.
Although a phrase that is sometimes overused, with all sincerity: thank you for your service.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Weather Forecast Maps

This is the "Ventusky" website..... very cool site I just found today, courtesy of a co-worker. At the bottom left of the screen, you can click on different days in the future to see the forecasted path and conditions for this storm.

Click on "wind speed" at the left of the screen and then select "500 m" altitude and you will see Irma clearly. If you change the calendar to show Sat 2017/09/09, you will see this model has the storm just starting to bear down on Miami and southeast FL.

Very fun site to play around with.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I live 30 miles north of Tampa near the coast. Not in a flood zone.
Local Walmart was totally out of water.
Local Publix store had some water. I bought 3 cases of 24 bottles. Had plenty of batteries and flashlights too.
I ordered 2 inflatble 2 person kayaks from Amazon and the second one showed up today.
We tried one out in the pool yesterday and were really pleased with it.
Am going to Walmart tomorrow for some odds and ends.
My house is 35 ft above sea level.
Thursday, we are going kayaking at our local beach.

Reaction Score
Local Publix store had some water. I bought 3 cases of 24 bottles. Had plenty of batteries and flashlights too.
I ordered 2 inflatble 2 person kayaks from Amazon and the second one showed up today.
hoping you are spared and look on all your purchases as things to enjoy at your leisure some other time....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I cannot say that I miss these concerns having exited the state of Florida a few years back! In the ten years I was in Miami I got hit by one Cat 1 hurricane that came in from the west coast about 4 months after I arrived - I lost power for two days but other areas of Coconut Grove were out for 4+ weeks and I was amazed how few essential businesses actually had their own generators - no gas stations, no supermarkets, etc. That was the one and only hurricane I saw in Miami, while I saw two hit the CT coast! Go figure!

This one looks bad, so good luck to all FL residents and Atlantic coast residents. The one positive is that most of the tracks that look really bad for FL have it spending some time along the Cuban coast which should weaken it some.

Someone has to say it: Turns out Cuba is a handy barrier island!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You're bragging about the 35 feet ... right? You should be. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We live in a 55+ community in Pioncianna - a whole 66 feet above sea level.

Latest forecast - subject to change - has us getting winds between40 and 60 mph for late Saturday, Sunday and Monday. No rain total predictions yet but they are saying heavy rains.

Started our hurricane planning back in May. Going out tomorrow morning to get propane, both 20 pound tanks and 1 pound bottles. If Lowes has water I'll pick up a couple more cases.

Most of the stores in Poincianna - Lowes, Publix, Walmart and Aldi are picked clean. However, they all say trucks are arriving with more bottled water and the like.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
We're on the West coast about 30 miles NW of Tampa, 10' above sea level and 1/2 mile from the Gulf.

Needless to say, we're a bit nervous, especially with several storm tracks showing the storm entering the Gulf and tracking along the West coast.

Good luck to my fellow Floridians (praying for a cold front to push the SOB out into the Atlantic).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We're on the West coast about 30 miles NW of Tampa, 10' above sea level and 1/2 mile from the Gulf.

Needless to say, we're a bit nervous, especially with several storm tracks showing the storm entering the Gulf and tracking along the West coast.

Good luck to my fellow Floridians (praying for a cold front to push the SOB out into the Atlantic).

Yank - latest update is seeing Irma go up the eastern half of Florida.

Reaction Score

My stepson is nearby. Anxiously waiting for more info on the storm track. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom