OT: How To Cook A 27 Pound Turkey? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: How To Cook A 27 Pound Turkey?

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
The key is to make sure it's frozen before you fry it. Really seals in the flavor. I promise that your family will never forget this Thanksgiving if you drop that frozen butterball right into a vat of boiling oil.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
All of you calling to brine in a bucket of water are doing way too much work. Dry brine and leave it uncovered in your fridge for literally as long as you can.

Reaction Score
All of you calling to brine in a bucket of water are doing way too much work. Dry brine and leave it uncovered in your fridge for literally as long as you can.

How much work does that save? I fill up a big pot with water, salt and sugar. Dump the bird in it and wait.

Reaction Score
I’ve done 25-lbs before. You’ll be fine. I think the key is making a really moist stuffing. I do my stuffing by frying sausage and ground beef and lightly steaming chopped carrots, onions and celery. Mix it all together with your favorite bagged stuffing mix. Sometimes I chop up a hot pepper too. Use chicken stock instead of water to really moisten your stuffing and add flavor. Fill the turkey cavity...but keep more of your stuffing aside in baking dish to heat up and serve later. Cover the bird and let it cook on low heat (320ish) for about 9 hours. Really good!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Found out that it’s 4 pounds per day in the fridge to defrost a turkey and i want it defrosted by the day before I cook it, so that’s 7 days for 27 pounds. Seriously for those who have never seen it (there have been some jokes about it here) go to YouTube for throwing a frozen turkey into a deep fryer. It could explode and burn your house down.

Reaction Score
1542289978253.png Just in case.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Found out that it’s 4 pounds per day in the fridge to defrost a turkey and i want it defrosted by the day before I cook it, so that’s 7 days for 27 pounds. Seriously for those who have never seen it (there have been some jokes about it here) go to YouTube for throwing a frozen turkey into a deep fryer. It could explode and burn your house down.

You're not supposed to use propane indoors (Actually, I believe it is illegal and if something does happen, would not be covered under homeowners insurance), let alone a turkey fryer.

As an aside, we are supposed to be getting our Turkey today.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Put it in the oven 1/2 hour before dinner, then drive to Boston Market and pick up an entire thanksgiving dinner for something like $50.

You'll be done eating, lying on the couch taking shallow "come on, stay down" breaths long before the turkey in the oven is done.

Reaction Score
Put it in the oven 1/2 hour before dinner, then drive to Boston Market and pick up an entire thanksgiving dinner for something like $50.

You'll be done eating, lying on the couch taking shallow "come on, stay down" breaths long before the turkey in the oven is done.
Or you could just go out and have Chinese turkey.
1542323283492.png

Reaction Score
You're not supposed to use propane indoors (Actually, I believe it is illegal and if something does happen, would not be covered under homeowners insurance), let alone a turkey fryer.

As an aside, we are supposed to be getting our Turkey today.
I always cook the turkey and this year at Price Chopper all they had were small birds and monsters so I got this 27 pound frozen Butterball. It looks like it could be saddled. My plan is to season it the day before and leave it in the fridge overnight then cook it at high heat 450 for 30 minutes and reduce to 325 leaving it uncovered with a thermometer in it,, but I never cooked one this big and the question is will it dry out? I have 21 people coming. 21 very hard to please and picky people. There is no "flipping a bird" this big. Anyone have experience with this size bird?
Aside from cooking it breast side down for the first hour or so, l usually by two packages of cheese cloth fold them in several layers and place it over the breast. Melt some butter and intially saturate the cheese cloth using a baster. Then use the resulting pan juices to keep saturating the cloth as it drys out. The last half hour take the cloth off to brown the skin.

Reaction Score
Brine for sure, I have also used Emeril's citrus brine for years. I have a butterball this year and plan on cutting back the salt but still brining. I used to do a big bird for our always large 20+ gathering. 10 years ago I started using a couple of 14's instead. Its so much easier.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I dry brine only. Full brine was way too salty, especially noticeable in the gravy.

This method creates perfection every time and the gravy has a nice bacon flavor.

E3B6BBC3-862C-4B2D-83B5-309876710F03.jpeg

Reaction Score
Make 12 of 21 threes and take all but Carey out of their offense....

Oh is This the right thread? LOL

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A non biased study from a steak company. Who could have predicted? Turkey will never be supplanted on our best holiday. BTW the 40% still hungry after the meal is a believable stat.
I can't believe it. Just because they eat more after TG dinner doesn't mean they are hungry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom