OT: How long can the WNBA pump up Clark? | The Boneyard

OT: How long can the WNBA pump up Clark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clark has benefited the WNBA by bring unprecedented publicity to the league.
It is pretty clear that she can be a good pro, but she is no Stewart, Bird, Taurasi, etc.

When you listen to the announcers, it is clear that the league is still trying to play the Clark card.
Eventually, this will backfire as new fans start to ask themselves what all the fuss is about and tune out.

Reaction Score
It is pretty clear that she can be a good pro, but she is no Stewart, Bird, Taurasi, etc.

When you listen to the announcers, it is clear that the league is still trying to play the Clark card.
Eventually, this will backfire as new fans start to ask themselves what all the fuss is about and tune out.
Not yet. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, the league should be promoting the other rookies. There are some great talents and great personalities in this class.

Reaction Score
You've determined this after 4 games? How good were those players 4 games into their careers?
Better than Clark.

Bird: 19 ppg, 2.5 reb, 6.25 assists, 36.1% FG, 36% 3
Taurasi: 20.75, 3.5, 4.5, 50%, 60.1%
Stewart: 19, 9.75, 2.75, 41.7%, 40%
Clark: 17, 4, 5.75, 41.2%, 34.3%

Looked at A'ja too. Everyone but Clark had at least one game where they put up an All Star stat line. Not a "this player could grow into something big" but a "this is one of the best players in the world right now" game. A'ja looked like a college player facing grown women in Game 1, then put up 27 and 8 on 53% in Game 3, first of five 20+ games in a row. She wasn't held to single digits the entire season.

Given the (unfair) hype, it's entirely fair to whisper "she looks like what her harshest skeptics predicted - someone struggling to adjust to professional athletes with professional officials."

Reaction Score

Clark is good but not yet to Stewart, bird and Taurasi level.
UConn's players are for team play and Clark is for personal play.
Big difference.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

The obsession with Caitlin Clark by some UCONN fans is unparalleled. Why you'd rather start yet ANOTHER thread (there's multiple Clark bashing threads on the main UCONN board) to tear her down instead of starting a thread to celebrate your own rookie is beyond me.

Seriously, I haven't seen anyone hyping up Edwards aside from Nan and she's having a great start to her rookie season and played great last night. Comparatively we have at least 3 threads dedicated to dumping on Clark who isn't even playing poorly.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ESPN will keep pumping Clark until it is no longer beneficial for them. ESPN is heavily invested in the WNBA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The obsession with Caitlin Clark by some UCONN fans is unparalleled. Why you'd rather start yet ANOTHER thread (there's multiple Clark bashing threads on the main UCONN board) to tear her down instead of starting a thread to celebrate your own rookie is beyond me.

Seriously, I haven't seen anyone hyping up Edwards aside from Nan and she's having a great start to her rookie season and played great last night. Comparatively we have at least 3 threads dedicated to dumping on Clark who isn't even playing poorly.

annual-player-haters-ball-mens-t-shirt.jpg

Silky Johnson approved

Reaction Score

May I suggest an edit: "The obsession with Caitlin Clark by some..." on the boneyard board ..." is unparalleled"

The Boneyard has gained a reputation as one of the top WBB boards, and has become a gathering place for many posters not of the UConn persuasion. To immediately attribute comments on this board to "UConn Fans" rather qualitatively or quantatively, would not be appropriate.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Taking bets. Thread will be closed in over or under 3 hours. lol
...and that's why there are so many threads for Clark bashing, each time one gets closed, another one pops up.

We may need 3 boards: UConn, general and Clark hate/like.

Tonite it's Clark v Muhl in Nika's debut with the Storm. Popcorn ready.

Reaction Score

Edwards has been a bit of a mess. Missed layups and free throws everywhere. Reminds me
Of freshman and Sophomore Aaliyah and I don’t see the need to hype that mess up. Once she calms down I’ll get excited to watch her again.

Reaction Score
Edwards has been a bit of a mess. Missed layups and free throws everywhere. Reminds me
Of freshman and Sophomore Aaliyah and I don’t see the need to hype that mess up. Once she calms down I’ll get excited to watch her again.
FG 13 of 25 52%
FT 5 of 11 45%

she's had a good start. Wouldn't call her a mess by any definition. bit of a small sample size

Reaction Score
FG 13 of 25 52%
FT 5 of 11 45%

she's had a good start. Wouldn't call her a mess by any definition. bit of a small sample size
She’s just been sloppy Aaliyah which is my least favorite Aaliyah. The bar is higher for her than what she’s shown so I’m going to wait until she plays the way we know she can.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I think that the reason the announcers are hyping CC to the seeming exclusion of everyone else is that most of them don't know anyone else, and it's easier for them to focus on just one player than to actually learn about the league. This is not to say that there aren't some knowledgeable announcers and analysts out there, it's just that they are few and far between.

Reaction Score
You've determined this after 4 games? How good were those players 4 games into their careers?
About on par in their own way. I’ve seen this sentiment on Reddit, I looked it up.

edit: it all averages out in the long run anyway. They all have good or bad starts but end of the year they all even out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seriously, we're still going with this? Remind me again which team appeared in the last 2 National Championship games.
Sorry, I didn't talk to you. eom.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
About on par in their own way. I’ve seen this sentiment on Reddit, I looked it up.

edit: it all averages out in the long run anyway. They all have good or bad starts but end of the year they all even out.
Yeah, not saying those other players didn't get off to a good start. But nobody was putting them in the Hall of Fame already after 4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom