• "Ahnt"

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • Another way

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My husband is originally from the Midwest and insists on pronouncing the word Aunt as though his father's sister is a bug ("Ant"). My mother's sister is my Ahnt. So, is that a New England thing? How do you pronounce Aunt?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The first way. I used to have 4 of the 2nd living. The last one drank like a fish.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"Ant". To me, it becomes clearer when considering the plural. "Ants" vs "Ahnts"

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
The "a" is short like in the word "laugh." ;)

Reaction Score
I'm from NY city suburbs and all my aunts (including my dad's female cousins who technically weren't my aunts) were ants and then lived in Hawaii where many women are your anties even if you're not related. My daughters who grew up in Massachusetts say ahnt. So now I'm confused to the point where I hesitate before I say aunt trying to figure out which way I'm going to pronounce it.

Reaction Score
Actually.....New England has it's own language.....as does Pittsburgh (my hometown).....

Reaction Score
My husband is originally from the Midwest and insists on pronouncing the word Aunt as though his father's sister is a bug ("Ant"). My mother's sister is my Ahnt. So, is that a New England thing? How do you pronounce Aunt?

I’m from Brooklyn so I call aunts on my side of the family “ant.” My wife’s from Connecticut so I call all the aunts on her side of the family “ahnt.”

Reaction Score

It's most definitely a New England thing. Might even be narrower than that.

There was a great website that would ask you about 10-20 questions about words & pronunciations and it would pinpoint where you were from.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Actually.....New England has it's own language.....as does Pittsburgh (my hometown).....
Never knew about Pittsburgh until my wife had an employee from Pittsburgh (about 25 years ago, how time flies). In any case, it turns out that Vivian Stringer also has some Pittsburgh idioms from her PA upbringing.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It's most definitely a New England thing. Might even be narrower than that.

There was a great website that would ask you about 10-20 questions about words & pronunciations and it would pinpoint where you were from.

Every Afro-American friend, acquaintance, and others pronounce Aunt as Ahnt. I have heard the Ahnt pronunciation in pockets of all peoples around the USA. I'd go with the English pronunciation as Ahnt and not the American Pronunciation as Ant. The English are far more consistent with pronunciation.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I used this in my Speech Communication courses as a fine example of a “variant” pronunciation. Both are perfectly acceptable, and may be regionally or ethnically influenced. Here in Illinois, it’s usually “ant.” But among African-American speakers, “ahnt” is very often heard.

While it’s not a rule without exception, true variants are at least minimally available from the spelling. What some consider their personal pronunciation variants are actually errors. There is no way to get “saMwich” from sandwich. It just isn’t available from the spelling. But English is an amalgam of several languages, so spelling isn’t the only criterion.

Final thought: Many people don’t seem to know the difference between pronunciation and articulation. It’s really easy - pronunciation is a matter of knowing which sounds (phonemes) to make, while articulation is actually making those sounds.

Quiz on Friday. Class dismissed. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

I usually get Springfield, which is not bad considering I'm from Hartford.

Today I got Springfield, Providence, & Yonkahs :confused:
OK, not fair. I got Yonkers, Jersey City (where I worked a couple of years) and Newark/Patterson (Newark is less than 30 minutes from where I grew up). If you blow up the map, my most likely area is 100% correct - north/central eastern NJ. With a lot of additional blurring into central mid eastern NJ - where I lived for most of my life.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Never knew about Pittsburgh until my wife had an employee from Pittsburgh (about 25 years ago, how time flies). In any case, it turns out that Vivian Stringer also has some Pittsburgh idioms from her PA upbringing.

Yinz gotta be loose to rilly speak Pittsburghese. Go Stillers! At good old SVC the NY/NJ metro guys decide to include me into their group. Mostly I believe because they thought my pronunciation and vocabulary was weirder than theirs. "Join us for lunch?" "As soon as I red up." "As soon as you what?" Then at times I asked if they had eaten lunch. "Jeet Jet?"
Yinzer Basics: Pittsburghese for Beginners
PITTSBURGHESE .com

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In Texas, it's /'ant/, a homophone of the insect's name.

/'ahnt/ to us sounds like someone trying to speak British.

:)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s always a mystery how people can ignore a perfectly good letter U in a word.

200w.gif

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I grew up in Poughkeepsie, NY and we said ant.

But I married a Rhode Islander, whose family moved to Avon, CT, and it was "ahnt." My in-laws had the real Rhode Island/ Boston accent.

Our sons grew up saying "ahnt" and now the grandsons say "ahnt." What's a guy to do! I still say ant!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom