OT - How Calipari Lost His Way | The Boneyard

OT - How Calipari Lost His Way

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
"On April 4, 2015, John Calipari was the king of college basketball. He’d brought Kentucky to the Final Four for the fourth time in five years, this time with an unprecedented 38-0 record and a shot at not only his second national championship but also one of the greatest seasons of all time. His Wildcats led Wisconsin by four points with five minutes to go, seemingly destined for a title-game collision with Duke and nemesis Mike Krzyzewski. That is, until Calipari effectively deflated the basketball, ordering a team with seven eventual NBA draft picks to play stall ball." Kentucky lost, and Calipari has never been the same ever since...

Reaction Score
"On April 4, 2015, John Calipari was the king of college basketball. He’d brought Kentucky to the Final Four for the fourth time in five years, this time with an unprecedented 38-0 record and a shot at not only his second national championship but also one of the greatest seasons of all time. His Wildcats led Wisconsin by four points with five minutes to go, seemingly destined for a title-game collision with Duke and nemesis Mike Krzyzewski. That is, until Calipari effectively deflated the basketball, ordering a team with seven eventual NBA draft picks to play stall ball." Kentucky lost, and Calipari has never been the same ever since...
I’d argue he lost his way about 2 decades earlier.

Reaction Score
Calipari is still getting the same level of recruits, but for whatever reason isn't having the same kind of success he did 2010-2015ish or even before UK.

I'm not really sure what it is.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Recruiting success was the only thing that mattered, he could coast after wrapping up each class.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard him say or imply that it’s very hard to win with one and done freshmen, despite the talent. It’s like he was looking for some sympathy lol. There’s truth to that…but nobody is forcing him to only go after those players. He can recruit anyone he wants.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
As the HS scene has seemed to water down and some of those generational talents go to Duke instead of UK, Cal has started to suffer.

He used to get the Walls, Cousins, ADs, etc.

Now a class of Zion, Reddish, and Barrett all go to Duke. Or Scott Henderson and Jalen Green goes to the G League.

I can’t remember the last #1 game changing talent they got. Even in this incoming class idk if they have that guy.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He can't beat us when it matters most. Even when we have 1 junior, a couple of sophomores and a bunch of freshmen

Tyler and Bazz and Neils not only have more rings than JB, they have more than the Squid does too

Bonus material: we even beat him with the "wrong Lamb", when he had the right Lamb

Never forget people, keep the faith. Coaching up and experience >>>>>>>>>>>>>> high school rankings

PS: The transfer portal helps too

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve heard him say or imply that it’s very hard to win with one and done freshmen, despite the talent. It’s like he was looking for some sympathy lol. There’s truth to that…but nobody is forcing him to only go after those players. He can recruit anyone he wants.
Scheyer said the same about Duke. Cal will win when he passes on some 5 stars and adds some 4 star kids that stay 3-4 years. That being said, the Covid extra year made it even harder to win with freshmen, because so many 5 year players were still around. Experience dominates in March.

Reaction Score
As the HS scene has seemed to water down and some of those generational talents go to Duke instead of UK, Cal has started to suffer.

Now a class of Zion, Reddish, and Barrett all go to Duke. Or Scott Henderson and Jalen Green goes to the G League.

I can’t remember the last #1 game changing talent they got. Even in this incoming class idk if they have that guy.
Yeah between Ignite and Duke, they haven't really been able to get top 5 guys.

Shaedon Sharpe didn't play. Cason Wallace was top #5. After that, you have to go back to 2015.

Guys in the 5-25 range are a lot more hit or miss than you'd expect. There were definitely some hits, and some guys that hit more in the pros than in school. But when you're assembling a team, you need 3 hits a year.

Reaction Score
This is the opening paragraph from this good article in today's edition of The Athletic:

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Side note, but what a brutal end for Wisconsin that year. You slay the giant in Final Four, undefeated Kentucky, and still can't win the title. It's like the '04 Red Sox losing to the Cardinals.

Reaction Score
Calipari has said numerous times that his main goal is to get kids to the NBA, not win NCAA Championships.

"Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games. It was to get eight players drafted ..."The mission statement for me would be to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now, in our state, they want my mission to be WIN NATIONAL TITLES! WIN NATIONAL TITLES! But my mission is bigger than that."

That's a direct quote from 2015 after they lost to Wisconsin. I can see why Kentucky fans want him gone. His #1 priority is to be an NBA factory. Fans' #1 priority is competing for National Championships

Reaction Score
The problem with the "one and one" route is that once you go down that rabbit hole you likely can't get out of it very quickly. There aren't very many recruits ranked in the 30-50 range that want to come in and practice against one and dones for 3 years with the hope of MAYBE playing in their junior or senior year. We have a much better strategy in my opinion. Mostly 4 star 3-4 year guys and we may have 1 or 2 guys that stay only 1-2 years. There's a big difference between having 5-7 guys that are one or two and done and having 1-2 guys. I would argue it actually makes it extremely difficult for Kentucky to recruit 4 star guys because they have so many 5 stars. I don't feel bad for them, but their roster construction with the abilities of their coach isn't built for success in modern college bball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Side note, but what a brutal end for Wisconsin that year. You slay the giant in Final Four, undefeated Kentucky, and still can't win the title. It's like the '04 Red Sox losing to the Cardinals.
Uh, the 2004 Red Sox won the World Series.

That's part of what makes 2004 the greatest year for New England sports.

Red Sox World Series champion.
UConn men national champions
UConn women's national champions.
Patriots Super Bowl champions.

Heck, the football team won the motor city bowl that year too.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

It would be like if the Red Sox had lost to the Cardinals in the World Series in 2004 after defeating the New York Yankees, their hated rivals, in an unprecedented comeback from a 3-0 deficit.
Sometimes economy of words can lead to misunderstandings.

Reaction Score
It would be like if the Red Sox had lost to the Cardinals in the World Series in 2004 after defeating the New York Yankees, their hated rivals, in an unprecedented comeback from a 3-0 deficit.
Sometimes economy of words can lead to misunderstandings.

I knew what you meant. I can distinctly remember at the time that, to me, it never even felt like a possibility that they'd lose to St. Louis. The sweep felt pre-ordained. Like Uconn '11.

Reaction Score

I think 2018-2019 was his last team which churned out a bunch of guys who are kicking butt in the NBA so not that long ago.

Reaction Score

This board would flunk the reading comprehension section of the SAT. :)

Reaction Score
Article did a really good job explaining how his coaching style and strategy changed over the years. He tried to do more in game coaching but was doing much less teaching in practice and in planning.

Reaction Score
Calipari has said numerous times that his main goal is to get kids to the NBA, not win NCAA Championships.

"Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games. It was to get eight players drafted ..."The mission statement for me would be to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now, in our state, they want my mission to be WIN NATIONAL TITLES! WIN NATIONAL TITLES! But my mission is bigger than that."

That's a direct quote from 2015 after they lost to Wisconsin. I can see why Kentucky fans want him gone. His #1 priority is to be an NBA factory. Fans' #1 priority is competing for National Championships
THIS is why I hate the guy so much. And why he isnt a coach at all, he's just a glorified babysitter. "A vehicle to help others reach their dreams". What a load of crap. John Calipari was, is and always will be about one thing, and one thing only: John Calipari

Reaction Score
THIS is why I hate the guy so much. And why he isnt a coach at all, he's just a glorified babysitter. "A vehicle to help others reach their dreams". What a load of crap. John Calipari was, is and always will be about one thing, and one thing only: John Calipari

Exactly. His whole bit about being a vehicle for getting players drafted is a narrative he developed to better sell the program to the top level recruits. Its a really good talking point that allows him to differentiate Kentucky from other schools. Its also complete Stop, as their game plan and rotation is centered around winning games and not developing or featuring his NBA talents. The trend of Kentucky players significantly outperforming their draft position (Maxey-21, Quickley-25, Keldon Johnson- 29, etc.) completely undermines his narrative and is a massive indictment on his ability as a coach.

Reaction Score

I remember seeing this back then and thinkung that if i were a fan of that team that my coach should find a way to do both.

Reaction Score

You do realize he has the highest rated recruiting class ever this yr. I think he can’t coach and can coach even less in a more modern era than when he first started. He still has the Nike money behind him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom