OT: Hope Solo suspended, USWNT contract terminated | The Boneyard

OT: Hope Solo suspended, USWNT contract terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
U.S. Soccer suspended goalkeeper Hope Solo for six months on Wednesday night for what it called “conduct that is counter to the organization’s principles.”

The federation also said it had terminated Solo’s contract with the women’s national team, meaning that at age 35 she may have played her last game for the United States.
link

Since the only games the team has scheduled until next year are two friendlies against Thailand and the Netherlands, this suspension is as toothless as the last one. The contract being ended though, with no major tournaments on the horizon, gives Gulati and co. time to find out if Naeher or someone else will be a workable substitute.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
(Hope Solo standing in line for a NYC job license)
"I'm sorry there's nothing we can do for you ma'am."

"N-E-E-E-XT!"

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have taken Hope's side in several of her scrapes, though not all. This most recent outburst does require USA Soccer to make a response. And now that both the World Cup and the Olympics are done, they can safely act. They weren't about to ditch her when they needed her.

This isn't a disciplinary suspension, make no mistake. It is a firing, though under another label. I don't expect to see her in a team USA uni again. It is sad, really. Most of her transgressions, real, imagined, and alleged, would not have been sufficient to warrant such a harsh sanction against a male soccer star. Hope Solo has become, through mostly her own fault, a combination lightning rod and whipping boy. We lost in Rio, now someone has to pay. And when Hope shot her mouth off, she called down the artillery fire on her own foxhole. I realize this isn't the prevailing sentiment, but so be it.

There is actually a lot to like and admire about her. She is considered by most experts as being the best keeper in the world. Her soccer records will stand for a very long time, like it or not. Unfortunately, her other record isn't going away soon either.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
On Mike and Mike this morning Golic referred to this suspension as a 'lifetime achievement award'.
Meaning that the cowards remark wasn't the real cause...just that it was the last in a series of transgressions that.. overall... triggered the move.

Reaction Score
This is complete and utter BS!!!! They've been looking for a way to get her out, but do it at a time where it wouldn't impact US Soccer on a world stage. So, all the major tournaments are over and in 3 years she won't be the GK she is now, so let's suspend her and make an example out of her after we've gotten what we need from her.

PS! Everyone on that team agreed with her about the coward comment, she's just the one that said it. Sweeden made a mockery of the most beautiful game in the world that day. And I'm glad they lost on an own goal to Germany.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Idiotic, classless, cowardly and groundless. For good reason, U.S. Soccer is being lambasted up and down for this foolishness.

As for the Swedes "making a mockery", equally foolish. They played the cards they had and the US cracked. Sorta like when the US played Brazil in Athens in '04. The '99ers were old, the Brazilians were young and more talented. The US played defense, and eventually capitalized on a Brazilian mistake.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hope is very talented, but did not play her best in Rio. She lacks tact and has created a number of issues. It's one thing to criticize the Swede's style of play, but another to call them cowardly. The Swedes played within the rules and found the Americans' vulnerability.

Can you imagine any off the 12 women's basketball players creating such controversy? I certainly cannot. As they all stressed, they respected every opponent.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky nails it.

I recall Villanova for example typically slowing the pace against UConn....obviously the fewer possessions the better their chance of winning. Did it work? Rarely. I do remember them beating UConn...with Dee...in the Big East tourney at Rutgers....that may have broken one of our lengthy winning streaks. Was that style of play 'cowardly'? Of course not.
Lots of teams try to slow the pace when they are clearly outmanned...or outwomanned.....say against UConn/LadyVol/ND etc. I would be utterly shocked if any player in that situation called the opposing team 'cowardly'. And if they did, I am betting that this board [and her coach] would explode with indignation....even if it were a UConn player. Only in part because it simply isn't true.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Too bad she couldn't play for Geno Auriemma. He educates his players regarding what to say, how to act, and what it means to win, and lose, with class.
If Geno knew her personality when she was in high school, he would never have recruited her, regardless of her talent. If he mistakenly recruited her and she came, the relationship would probably have lasted a month or two before she was benched and "decided" (with some pushing if she needed it) to transfer. Or she would have decided not to come, knowing Geno would keep her inside a sandbox as a condition for playing time.

For example: Diamond Deshields and Kelsey Bone. They both decided not to come, and it was a wise decision in each case.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One distraction after another eroded team unity and justified this ignominious parting of ways. Time for both Hope and the team to move on. Separately.

Reaction Score
Lots of players privately had the same thoughts as Solo - but none were stupid enough to say it. On its own, what she said is maybe worth a one week suspension. But, as said above, this is much more about past transgressions.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Kibitzer, post: 1781858, member: 30]. Time for both Hope and the team to move on. Separately.[/QUOTE]

It's far from clear if that will happen at this point. Right now, she is still the best goalie in the U.S. by a significant margin. If no one steps up over the next year, she could well be back in 9 months.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
T
PS! Everyone on that team agreed with her about the coward comment, she's just the one that said it. Sweeden made a mockery of the most beautiful game in the world that day. And I'm glad they lost on an own goal to Germany.
Their job was to win, they did. They parked the bus, it was the USA's job to break them down, they didn't. Every win isn't pretty. But in a win and advance situation, just win baby.

Reaction Score
If it is to your advantage to play zone defense instead of man to man..... and you go that route, I wouldn't want to be called coward for employing that defensive strategy......

It was said that this judgment was handed out after talking with her, so perhaps she refused to apologize publicly..... as her press memo said.... kinda of like Popeye "I ams what I ams"

and those who do not like it can stick it in their ear

Reaction Score
Is she classless? Yes.

Would I want anything to do with her? No.

Is this suspension appropriate? No chance. It's ridiculous for so many reasons.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Idiotic, classless, cowardly and groundless. For good reason, U.S. Soccer is being lambasted up and down for this foolishness.

As for the Swedes "making a mockery", equally foolish. They played the cards they had and the US cracked. Sorta like when the US played Brazil in Athens in '04. The '99ers were old, the Brazilians were young and more talented. The US played defense, and eventually capitalized on a Brazilian mistake.

Just trying to clarify. Idiotic, classless, cowardly and groundless is US Soccer's decision or something else?

Reaction Score
If it is to your advantage to play zone defense instead of man to man..... and you go that route, I wouldn't want to be called coward for employing that defensive strategy.

It was said that this judgment was handed out after talking with her, so perhaps she refused to apologize publicly..... as her press memo said.... kinda of like Popeye "I ams what I ams"

and those who do not like it can stick it in their ear

But before the shot clock, teams that opted to take the air out of the ball and not try to score were often called cowardly. That is more analogous to the soccer strategy of keeping everyone back behind the ball to stress only defense. Many players view this as cowardly - but as you say it is sometimes the best strategy when the other team is clearly better..

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
But before the shot clock, teams that opted to take the air out of the ball and not try to score were often called cowardly. That is more analogous to the soccer strategy of keeping everyone back behind the ball to stress only defense. Many players view this as cowardly - but as you say it is sometimes the best strategy when the other team is clearly better..

Dean Smith was credited -- or blamed -- for exasperating opponents and winning championships at UNC with his patented "Four Corners Offense." It helped him get into the HoF.

Cowardly? Hardly. Winning strategy? Definitely.;)

Reaction Score
Dean Smith was credited -- or blamed -- for exasperating opponents and winning championships at UNC with his patented "Four Corners Offense." It helped him get into the HoF.

Cowardly? Hardly. Winning strategy? Definitely.;)

Dean Smith's four corner offense isn't really what I was talking about, and a significant amount of that offense took place after the shot clock was introduced in 1985. What I was referring to were games when the winning team scored less than 30 points and the weaker team tried to hold the ball for extended periods without even looking at the basket. Those teams were often viewed as cowardly by their opponents. The true four corner offense was designed to spread the defense - but was also designed to attack the basket once the defense was spread out.

Reaction Score

yes ..... maybe the 4 corners offense or other analogy may work better to buttress point..... the left wing lock in hockey..... employed so effectively by the Devils and it won them a Stanley Cup.... but certainly no fans.... it was boring and just stressed a wet blanket defense.... but if you do not have the horses to battle, you have to come up with something.

But bottom line is I have no support for Hope's sportsmanship.... saying teammate Brianna Scurry shouldn't have been playing over her and she would never have allowed the goals Brianna did that day in 07. Or domestic abuse causer, or joy riding with the team van with husband, both being drunk.... and on the biggest stage where sportsmanship is paramount, calling your opponent cowardly.

And then explaining it by saying you want to wiun so much.... does that mean that those who did not criticize the Swedes were falling far short of wanting to win as much as Hope??. I am glad she got put down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom