OT: Home Run Derby | The Boneyard

OT: Home Run Derby

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is insane...the final is going to be horrible. This should be the final guerrero jr v. pederson.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
MLB had to have juiced the ball this year. No other explanation.

Reaction Score
MLB had to have juiced the ball this year. No other explanation.
Don't know if the ball is juiced but the seams are flatter and this effects the grip and action on breaking pitches.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Baseball has a fundamental problem.

The batters are too strong for the stadiums to contain them.

Pitcher velocity + the athletes on defense make home runs the only way to score runs consistently.

Guys pump gas looking to avoid contact and the batters sell out looking to hit bombs.

The result is a boring product. Combine that with expensive and the empty seats are jarring.

Reaction Score

Pitcher velocity + the athletes on defense make home runs the only way to score runs consistently.

Guys pump gas looking to avoid contact and the batters sell out looking to hit bombs.

The result is a boring product. Combine that with expensive and the empty seats are jarring.
You don't throw a 4-seam fastball if you're trying to avoid contact. Not sure of the numbers from 2018 but with the more tightly wound balls and the movement towards an upward swing plane, we're actually seeing a significant decrease in the percentage of fastballs being thrown. I actually think this product is better than it has been in a while and I'm hopeful they move to a minimum batter requirement for pitchers to face to make it even better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hard to understand the infatuation for Vlad swinging from the heels and always pulling the ball.

Alonso was a true stud using all fields

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Did they change the rule about having to wait for the ball to land before he next pitch?

Reaction Score
Such a dysfunctional organization the mutz are, i wouldn't be surprised if they are fielding offers for Alonso at this point.

Reaction Score
Did they change the rule about having to wait for the ball to land before he next pitch?
Officially, no. But the umpires weren't enforcing it

polycom

Reaction Score
Hard to understand the infatuation for Vlad swinging from the heels and always pulling the ball.

View attachment 44646

Let me guess you want people to get off your lawn as well...

Baseball development has changed, they talked about it 100 times on the broadcast.

the Q

Reaction Score
Officially, no. But the umpires weren't enforcing it

I ask because Pederson was just the most blatantly obvious violator. It wasn’t even close.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let me guess you want people to get off your lawn as well...

Baseball development has changed, they talked about it 100 times on the broadcast.

I don't own a lawn.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

The issue with baseball is that the key demographic grew up in the steroid era. Baseball meant McGuire/Sosa, watching Bonds, and Manny and Ortiz in Boston. Baseball will never be as exciting as what I got to see as a kid. I could count the number of close friends who still watch baseball on one hand

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't throw a 4-seam fastball if you're trying to avoid contact. Not sure of the numbers from 2018 but with the more tightly wound balls and the movement towards an upward swing plane, we're actually seeing a significant decrease in the percentage of fastballs being thrown. I actually think this product is better than it has been in a while and I'm hopeful they move to a minimum batter requirement for pitchers to face to make it even better.

you are what is becoming a pretty clear minority.

optimizing the rosters has made it impossible for the casual fan - they cycle through so many players in a season it’s insane.

remember when baseball fans knew rotations? remember when you could manage along without volumes of baseball-reference and fangraphs metrics?

polycom

Reaction Score
you are what is becoming a pretty clear minority.

optimizing the rosters has made it impossible for the casual fan - they cycle through so many players in a season it’s insane.

remember when baseball fans knew rotations? remember when you could manage along without volumes of baseball-reference and fangraphs metrics?

The amount of alerts I get about new players is crazy. But, how exactly does baseball fix it.

the Q

Reaction Score
The amount of alerts I get about new players is crazy. But, how exactly does baseball fix it.

28 man roster with 25 active on any game. 26 for double headers.

Reaction Score

View attachment 44646
Kid is only 20. His approach will likely change as he matures. A slump or two could be the incentive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
28 man roster with 25 active on any game. 26 for double headers.

the absolute worst idea is bigger rosters.

oh good more relief pitchers!

Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority but I love the direction baseball is headed. I'll never understand people who want to go back to watching sacrifice hunts and bad baseball

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom