OT: Historical sites along the east coast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Historical sites along the east coast

Reaction Score
So if it's battlefields you're looking for I can arrange to have a fight with my wife.
If it helps we can make it more intense than Gettysburg.

Surprised no one recommended Newport, RI. I've enjoyed walking the town and looking at the historical buildings on the national register more than the mansions and most are pre or post revolutionary war. Then head over to Misquamicut Beach for some recreation. Be sure to wear UConn gear, act obnoxiously, get into a fight with some Rhody natives and start your own historical battlefield.

Newport always good for those who haven't seen it, and see how the rich and famous (mostly the Vanderbilts) lived back in the day and the money they spend to build these absolute crazy mansions.. Fort Adams is a cool little fort built back in the day to protect the area, but never saw an actual battle. But the tunnels and the views are pretty cool. Downtown is just fun to walk around and the restaurants have some great venues if looking for water views. And then for a battle drive 30 minutes to The Ocean Mist at Matunuk Beach, it has both history and whacko's!

Reaction Score
The shore of Connecticut, from Groton to Fairfield, is the battleground for the Pequot War. The first war between Puritan refugees and the ancient natives. The natives warred amongst themselves but that would be considered "prehistoric" since they didn't keep records but there are a few recorded battles in New England. It is said the Incans had the largest empire in the world in the 15th century.

The Pequot War | Battlefields of the Pequot War

Supposedly, Sassacus made a stop at Samp Mortar Rock, which was a a village (and now graffiti all over, sadly) but that is mentioned nowhere "official". After his defeat, as well as his tribe, the takeover of the Connecticut shore was complete.

TWISTED HISTORY: The Pequot stalker

There's actually a street nearby named after the Mahican princess Tahmore.

Reaction Score
Go for breakfast. Crab Benny + Spicy Bloody Mary = Heaven.

Oh yeah and the BM's are special. Amazing an old kinda run down place which needs little change to be so successful, has a great breakfast and really good grub all day/night huh? Fun place, incidentally the owner just bought the Irish bar next door too with the roof top bar as well as downstairs, Tara's Tipperary. Now called The Pub I believe so 2 venues now within 30 yards to enjoy music, food and drink.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh yeah and the BM's are special. Amazing an old kinda run down place which needs little change to be so successful, has a great breakfast and really good grub all day/night huh? Fun place, incidentally the owner just bought the Irish bar next door too with the roof top bar as well as downstairs, Tara's Tipperary. Now called The Pub I believe so 2 venues now within 30 yards to enjoy music, food and drink.
Good to know, thanks. We'll be back in Green Hill Beach for a little over a week in July so I will check out the new place. Have been to it when it was the Irish place because the wife didn't want to sit in the Ocean Mist with the kids one afternoon when there was a live band blaring and the place smelled like a monkey house. I finally dragged her back there for the Crab Benny and Bloodies and now she's a fan, but only for breakfast.

Reaction Score
Good to know, thanks. We'll be back in Green Hill Beach for a little over a week in July so I will check out the new place. Have been to it when it was the Irish place because the wife didn't want to sit in the Ocean Mist with the kids one afternoon when there was a live band blaring and the place smelled like a monkey house. I finally dragged her back there for the Crab Benny and Bloodies and now she's a fan, but only for breakfast.

When you are up there and want to meet mau let me know. I have a place nearby and the Mist is a 2-3 minute walk we will tip a couple and talk about the Boneyard LOL

Reaction Score
thanks, heard Gettysburg is intense. I'll be looking into them

Intense, haunting, moving, you name it.
We just stopped in Gettysburg while visiting colleges with my oldest daughter. Coincidentally, we happened to be there on the anniversary of Lincoln's assassination (4/14/17). I spent over three hours in the Visitors' Center Museum, so I had to cut short the tour of the grounds. I was able to see a few of the sites and memorials. Little Round Top, Big Round Top, Pennsylvania memorial, the Soldiers' Memorial (Where Lincoln gave his Gettysburg Address). I will go back again, with at least two days to spend there.

For Revolutionary trips, you can spend a few days in both Boston (Freedom Trail) and Philly and never see everything.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When you are up there and want to meet mau let me know. I have a place nearby and the Mist is a 2-3 minute walk we will tip a couple and talk about the Boneyard LOL
Deal. I will shoot you a PM as it nears so we can connect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom