OT: Historical sites along the east coast | The Boneyard

OT: Historical sites along the east coast

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Looking to do some trips this summer and want to see historical sites. Farthest I would go south would be to DC. The places can be well known or not so well know. Would like to focus on pre-revolutionary war, revolutionary war, and civil war but anything that seems interesting would be good. Thanks

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Looking to do some trips this summer and want to see historical sites. Farthest I would go south would be to DC. The places can be well known or not so well know. Would like to focus on pre-revolutionary war, revolutionary war, and civil war but anything that seems interesting would be good. Thanks

Gettysburg, West Point, Independence Hall, Antietam.

You could spend two or three days at Gettysburg alone.

I recommend the ghost tours in town during the evenings. For like $10, a meth addict dressed as Abraham Lincoln will give you a tour of a parking lots and claim to see soldiers coming out of the sewer grate. Then you go get ice cream. We loved it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I recommend the ghost tours in town during the evenings. For like $10, a meth addict dressed as Abraham Lincoln will give you a tour of a parking lots and claim to see soldiers coming out of the sewer grate. Then you go get ice cream. We loved it.
thanks, heard Gettysburg is intense. I'll be looking into them

Reaction Score
Dedicate at least a week to Philly, Antietam and DC. Spend at least 5 days in DC and see everything, visit Antietam which is less than 1.5 hours from DC and do a day or 2 in Philly.

Reaction Score
Best pre-Revolutionary War site seeing would be between Portmouth, NH and Long Island, NY, along the coast, going 50+ miles inland. Countless sites. Route 1 is quite useful. Also along the Connecticut and Hudson Rivers and inland from those rivers. Fort Nathan Hale, Henry Whitfield House, Black Rock in Bridgeport (Brewster St vicinity), Southport in Fairfield (around the Swamp Massacre monument, especially south), emptied pond by the Fairfield town hall where they tried to drown accused witches, etc.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
thanks, heard Gettysburg is intense. I'll be looking into them

The battlefield has a presence. Hard to describe, but you'll know it when you're there.

You can stand where the Gettysburg Address was given . (It's not where the monument is.) You can stand on Little Roundtop where the 20th Maine likely saved the entire Union. You can stand on the angle where Pickett's Charge broke. You can
also stand where Pickett's Charge started and wonder what on earth R.E. Lee was thinking. These spots just feel heavy.

And then there is the ghost tours. You need comic relief at that point.

(If you have ever been to Lake George, the actual town of Gettysburg is what would happen if Lake George gave up and decided to let itself go.)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Gettysburg is a must. If you can get there in early July you can even catch the reenactment. It's pretty awesome to go and see.

When I went we took the CD car tour that basically has a running narrative while you drive to all the stops. Was really good and allowed you to move at your own pace and get around and walk if you wanted to. The town of Gettysburg was decent enough to make it a few days trip.

Would also recommend D.C. If you haven't been before. The Air and Space museum is my favorite and the second one out by Dulles is a must as well. Big fan of the American History museum too. Greatest part is their free. A good museum that's also fun is the Spy museum. Not free but a fun time.

Reaction Score
Or go up the Maine coastline! The Maine shoreline is spectacular. Portland is a fun historic city. Bar Habor & Acadia National Park are wonderful. Highly recommended. You will not be disappointed on Mount Desert Island. The Rockefellers put a lot of money into Acradia National Park. I love it up there. Cadillac Mountain is spectacular at sunset. Lots of history up there. Take a Lobster Boat tour too. One of my favorite vacation destinations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think I may have told this story on the board before, but we did a ghost tour at Colonial Williamsburg. The guide was a little boring (the meth hadn't kicked in yet) so I wandered off to take a picture of a building. I cranked the shutter open and took a long exposure using a tree branch to hold the camera still. I caught a reenacter as she left the building done for the day, head down and walking briskly.

As I rejoined the group the guide snarkily asked me if I got a picture of the ghost she had been talking about. I said, "I'm not sure" and showed her the picture I had taken. The reenacter had left a slight trail behind her because of the slow speed. The guide stammered "This, this has never happened before." Of course the whole group is crowding around looking at the screen on the back of the camera. People started running over to the same spot to take the picture and then thought it was confirmation of the supernatural when "the ghost" was no longer there. The guide, looking shaken and a little pale, did nothing to reel everyone back in. It was chaos.

My wife looked at me and said "why?" I gave her my innocent face and shrugged and smiled.

(Full disclosure, it was neither the first nor the last time she uttered that word to me. My reaction is always the same.)

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh and if you go to Gettysburg, read the book The Killer Angels by Micheal Shaara first. You will be glad you did.

Reaction Score
I think I may have told this story on the board before, but we did a ghost tour at Colonial Williamsburg. The guide was a little boring (the meth hadn't kicked in yet) so I wondered off to take a picture of building. I cranked the shutter open and took a long exposure using a tree branch to hold the camera still. I caught a reenacter as she left the building done for the day, nead down and walking briskly.

As I rejoined the group the guide snarkily asked me if I got a picture of the ghost she had been talking about. I said, "I'm not sure" and showed her the picture I had taken. The reenacter had left a slight trail behind her because of the slow speed. The guide stammered "This, this has never happened before." Of course the whole group is crowding around looking at the screen on the back of the camera. People started running over to the same spot to take the picture and then thought it was confirmation of the supernatural when "the ghost" was no longer there. The guide, looking shaken and a little pale, did nothing to reel everyone back in. It was chaos.

My wife looked at me and said "why?" I gave her my innocent face and shrugged and smiled.

(Full disclosure, it was neither the first nor the last time she uttered that word to me. My reaction is always the same.)
How about sharing the photo?!

CL82

Reaction Score
How about sharing the photo?!
I just took a quick look and couldn't find that trip. I'll try again and PM you if I can find it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Somewhat related, I did Gettysburg and all the related sites near there as a kid, and have done D.C. with the family, but have never done Baltimore except for a quick visit two weeks ago. Oldest daughter just committed to go to college at Loyola Maryland so it looks like I'll be there quite a bit for the next four years. Is Fort McHenry worth a visit? Anything else in terms of historical sites right in Baltimore?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Saratoga and Lake George to Fort Ticonderoga.

Just imagining Henry Knox leaving Boston to go to upstat NY to fetch cannons and drag them back to G Washington in Boston. Unreal.

Then go drink beer in VT

Reaction Score
There's a place in Storrs, CT. It's called Gampel Pavillion and was once home an elite basketball program. Talented prospects from all over would go to this Mecca to hone their skills. If you look up a the ceiling tiles they represent the decay of the program.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Just imagining Henry Knox leaving Boston to go to upstat NY to fetch cannons and drag them back to G Washington in Boston. Unreal.

Then go drink beer in VT

This. Great way to mix history with seeing the Adirondacks and the lakes.

Reaction Score

Then go drink beer in VT

This. I'd skip LG personally, the town anyway, spend a couple of nights at the Sagamore on the lake and hike prospect or buck. Them move on to TI.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So if it's battlefields you're looking for I can arrange to have a fight with my wife.
If it helps we can make it more intense than Gettysburg.

Surprised no one recommended Newport, RI. I've enjoyed walking the town and looking at the historical buildings on the national register more than the mansions and most are pre or post revolutionary war. Then head over to Misquamicut Beach for some recreation. Be sure to wear UConn gear, act obnoxiously, get into a fight with some Rhody natives and start your own historical battlefield.

CL82

Reaction Score
Somewhat related, I did Gettysburg and all the related sites near there as a kid, and have done D.C. with the family, but have never done Baltimore except for a quick visit two weeks ago. Oldest daughter just committed to go to college at Loyola Maryland so it looks like I'll be there quite a bit for the next four years. Is Fort McHenry worth a visit? Anything else in terms of historical sites right in Baltimore?

I think so. It is well maintained, has pretty views across the water, and has a lot of exhibits. Not the most interactive or engaging place I've been to but very interesting. I enjoyed it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom