OT: Hey Ray Reid ... | The Boneyard

OT: Hey Ray Reid ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you just freaking lazy?

Do you notice that the other UConn teams actually change their rosters in a timely manner. Post recruits. Keep their board full of timely news.

Here we are with a August 17th game coming up after a decent NCAA tournament season ... and you still have 2013 Roster up & we never get any news what your recruiting brings along. I know you won a NC ... like when my kids were in diapers (and they are now in college); but, could you please try to Win our conference & have a team prepared to go to the last weekend of the college year.

And ... I don't care about your coaching tree. I just want to have the enthusiasm we used to have for UConn soccer sustained for another generation. I would like to see a little energy.

Reaction Score
Alcohol tends to have people post on the wrong board. ;)

I realize you didn't actually go to UConn sportsart

Fact is ... That UConn soccer program is very important to some of us. Probably a generation about your age. Don't assume you know everything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They actually have Enright, 3 more assistant directors and 3 assistants. One of the assistants is men's soccer in the fall. One sport must be so overwhelming that a roster is tough.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of all the nonsense posted on this site on a daily basis, this nearly caused my brain to explode.

Did someone really accuse Ray Reid of being lazy because the soccer roster isn't updated on the UConn website? Did that happen? I think it happened, but it seems so stupid that I don't want to assume that it really did. Maybe I've had a brain episode and I've misinterpreted something.

Reaction Score
I realize you didn't actually go to UConn sportsart

Fact is ... That UConn soccer program is very important to some of us. Probably a generation about your age. Don't assume you know everything.

Are you for real? Your first post made more sense than your second. You posted about soccer on the FB board and I busted your ass. Lighten up Francis.

Reaction Score
If Reid is worrying about whether the most up to date roster is posted on the UConn website....then he should be fired. Now, as for whoever is responsible for soccer in the SID, that is a different story.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree with Fishy and Samcro. Ray Reid catches a lot of unfair crap on this board, for some unknown reason. But this one might be the most ridiculous to date, so...congratulations???

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's insane to think Reid has anything to do with it.

That said, hey, UConn, update 'n roster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While confused by Sportsart reading the soccer board - there are coaches who beg the athletic department to not release anything about their teams because they don't want their opponents to have any information.

While it was Division III basketball the particular coach who ranted to me on the subject many times went to multiple Final Fours.

So if Reid blocks the info I don't blame the SID. But someday someone will explain to me how UConn has 7 full time employees doing the work. Sometime around when the Big East money runs out hopefully.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The sports info department at a major university is a big operation - UConn's is not oversized by any means.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The sports info department at a major university is a big operation - UConn's is not oversized by any means.

Sure UConn is in line with a symptom of overall athletic department bloat. When you have full time employees who are responsible for communications on three non-revenue sports it makes it difficult to keep explaining why the actual athletes can't profit from their own talent. However, the state can employ someone who spends their days communicating into an abyss on topics that the public has rejected.

UConn has an assistant director of communications who is responsible for men's hockey and both gender tennis teams. No offense to the gentlemen who does this job, even granting that there may be some interest in the hockey program between October and March... hard to see how Tennis fills the other half of the calendar.

Just remember the next time someone is telling you schools lose money on sports that someone is getting paid to 'communicate' on swimming and diving.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Sure UConn is in line with a symptom of overall athletic department bloat. When you have full time employees who are responsible for communications on three non-revenue sports it makes it difficult to keep explaining why the actual athletes can't profit from their own talent. However, the state can employ someone who spends their days communicating into an abyss on topics that the public has rejected. UConn has an assistant director of communications who is responsible for men's hockey and both gender tennis teams. No offense to the gentlemen who does this job, even granting that there may be some interest in the hockey program between October and March... hard to see how Tennis fills the other half of the calendar. Just remember the next time someone is telling you schools lose money on sports that someone is getting paid to 'communicate' on swimming and diving.

SID salaries - especially entry level positions - aren't exactly bloating budgets. Many of the low level assistant positions are either grad assistants or 10-month positions. Or they pay $25,000 or so. Upper level "associate AD for communications" positions like Enright's pay a good salary, but lower levels are so low on the totem pole, they're underground. There's a live game management element to SID work you're ignoring: live stats/results, video streaming, game clocks/scoreboards/pa announcing, audio broadcasts, etc. that make them important to the athletic department's gameday operations, making the job more than just sending out releases to media who ignore them. While there may not be major media interest in a sport like swimming or tennis - there is always the school's own website and sport-specific websites for every sport out there, and that stuff has to be done, even while 5 staffers or so are away at NCAA Tournaments in March (you need at least 2 for NCAA hoops tourneys, preferably 3 for regional finals and Final Fours). Someone has to run the home lacrosse game in March, even if you don't care about it. Parents and families care and are vocal, and odds are some have money and are considered potential donors and are treated as such - as are alumni of the sport ("the public has rejected your sport" ain't gonna fly). If your school stinks at sports, it's easier to handle seasonal overlap, but the $25,000 salary for an extra staffer to keep a cluster of potential donors happy and engaged is likely going to be a good tradeoff. It's less than a football team's annual budget for hotel rooms the night before HOME games (which most do these days, since their players can't be trusted to get a good night's sleep on their own without a Marriott).

As for the roster issue, my best guess would be that Reid has 35-40 people coming to camp and plans to cut 5-10 of them, so he doesn't want a final roster up until he makes his cuts and simply hasn't provided one. But I could be wrong. Unless there's some secret foreigner nobody knows about, opposing coaches are aware of who will be on the roster. Soccer recruiting sites are very thorough.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
SID salaries - especially entry level positions - aren't exactly bloating budgets. Many of the low level assistant positions are either grad assistants or 10-month positions. Or they pay $25,000 or so. Upper level "associate AD for communications" positions like Enright's pay a good salary, but lower levels are so low on the totem pole, they're underground. There's a live game management element to SID work you're ignoring: live stats/results, video streaming, game clocks/scoreboards/pa announcing, audio broadcasts, etc. that make them important to the athletic department's gameday operations, making the job more than just sending out releases to media who ignore them. While there may not be major media interest in a sport like swimming or tennis - there is always the school's own website and sport-specific websites for every sport out there, and that stuff has to be done, even while 5 staffers or so are away at NCAA Tournaments in March (you need at least 2 for NCAA hoops tourneys, preferably 3 for regional finals and Final Fours). Someone has to run the home lacrosse game in March, even if you don't care about it. Parents and families care and are vocal, and odds are some have money and are considered potential donors and are treated as such - as are alumni of the sport ("the public has rejected your sport" ain't gonna fly). If your school stinks at sports, it's easier to handle seasonal overlap, but the $25,000 salary for an extra staffer to keep a cluster of potential donors happy and engaged is likely going to be a good tradeoff. It's less than a football team's annual budget for hotel rooms the night before HOME games (which most do these days, since their players can't be trusted to get a good night's sleep on their own without a Marriott).

As for the roster issue, my best guess would be that Reid has 35-40 people coming to camp and plans to cut 5-10 of them, so he doesn't want a final roster up until he makes his cuts and simply hasn't provided one. But I could be wrong. Unless there's some secret foreigner nobody knows about, opposing coaches are aware of who will be on the roster. Soccer recruiting sites are very thorough.

I know what they do and I know who it's for.... but thanks. My comments about the coach were from my experience working in a SID and I was making a joke about the coach who was adament about it.

The entire enterprise of college athletics and athletic departments is bloated. Staying in a hotel before home games is another fairly simple example. Remember they lose money!

You'll have to forgive me for not thinking the UConn athletic department is the gold standard. The university has parlayed decades of success into games with Tulsa and East Carolina while the rest of the world is paving their roads with television gold.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
I know what they do and I know who it's for.... but thanks. My comments about the coach were from my experience working in a SID and I was making a joke about the coach who was adament about it.

Fair enough. The effort to put up a new roster isn't all that significant. The odds are far greater that Reid hasn't set his final roster yet and distributed it to the folks in the department who need it (sports info, compliance, trainers, etc.). Men's soccer has some unique issues - it's a fall, partial scholarship sport (roughly 10 to divide up among the whole roster) that likely has a roster cap for Title IX compliance, so cuts have to be made. And freshman walk ons may very well beat out returning guys who are buried deep on the bench, even if those guys are getting a little bit of scholarship money. Reid may legitimately not even know his final roster yet (or he may know and be playing games).

Baseball has similar issues with roster caps and partial scholarships, but they can do their tryouts in fall ball, make needed cuts, and set their final roster three months early.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You'll have to forgive me for not thinking the UConn athletic department is the gold standard. The university has parlayed decades of success into games with Tulsa and East Carolina while the rest of the world is paving their roads with television gold.

Hmm...no.

You have ten marginal years of football and a dinky state population to thank for that.

You people should have done a few things better - one, get the state to back the move to DI sooner and two, you all should've had more kids.

Really, it's pretty much your fault.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hmm...no.

You have ten marginal years of football and a dinky state population to thank for that.

You people should have done a few things better - one, get the state to back the move to DI sooner and two, you all should've had more kids.

While I generally agree there is no one to blame in Storrs for conference purgatory... it's hard to marry their success in basketball with crumbling home attendance.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
People are home having more kids in an effort to get us into the Big Ten - basketball will still be there when they're done.

Honestly, again, it seems like you're not doing your part.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
People are home having more kids in an effort to get us into the Big Ten - basketball will still be there when they're done.

Honestly, again, it seems like you're not doing your part.

I type this as I watch Lilo and Stitch. I'll choose Tulane and Memphis over having any more kids.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're whining to the wrong guy.

I just spent seven days on a Disney cruise ship.

My inner monologues are in Olaf the Snowman's voice now.

Reaction Score
I still think the big guy is lazy. The Program isn't where it was.

WHY? My standard is Joe Marrone and when we had a Soccer Booster Club that had the most energy on campus. And YES ... sportsart ... you can kiss my butt. I could care less about how sacred you think the football board is. If Ray Reid can't keep our first dominant program at a high level, then go to the next application process. Heck ... Marrone was pushed out for this guy.

We do have a UConn Hockey coach that has his 2014-2015 ROSTER UP ... and that is a winter sport. I also don't buy this bringing kids into camp bit. For Fall 2014? He still is sifting through recruits? That was 1975 type stuff. Today, they are at least as broad recruiting as Hockey and he has his full complement signed and the scholarship papers are done.

Reaction Score
Hmm...no.

I don't think it was 10 marginal years. I think we had 3 really good years; better than anyone should have expected. Toilet City in the last 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom