OT: Heading to Hilton Head and Savanna over the holidays.... | The Boneyard

OT: Heading to Hilton Head and Savanna over the holidays....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any suggestions from people in the know will be much appreciated.....

Looking for places to visit (with kids 7 and 4) and eat.

Reaction Score

Hilton Head is great for biking. Paths are like mini roads with stop signs, line in the middle etc. Watch out for gators at any water away from the ocean tho. I am not kidding!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

In Savannah please stop by my sons resturant while you are there. It's called The Florence and it is located on 1 Victory. Great Italian resturant. He makes everything fresh that day. His name is Kyle and tell him you met his old man on The Boneyard. Plus, tell him to shave his stubbly beard. Don't tell him I said so. Bwhahaha. It is a great story but won't put anybody to sleep. I am very proud of him. His boss is one of the top chefs judges on the Food channel. Enough said.

P.S.- You have to take a left or right depending on your direction on Barnard Stree, take first left into ramp garage. Park and walk from there to the front.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score

A restaurant off the beaten path (have to drive through an RV park) is Sunset Grill. It is in a marina above the laundry, but is not a dive. Great views of sunsets, although the sun now sets around 5:15. During the summer months it's a very difficult reservation to get. Best shrimp and grits. Would be good for a family.

Restaurant is off to the left just as you get on the Island.

Reaction Score
If you have an extended stay and a car, check our Charleston for a day. 90 miles away. Then I could give you a rec.

Reaction Score
We were in Savannah last June and enjoyed the Florence so much we went back twice!

Another fantastic Savannah restaurant is the Grey. May be tough with kids but it has amazing history and is a wonderful place.

In Savannah please stop by my sons resturant while you are there. It's called The Florence and it is located on 1 Victory. Great Italian resturant. He makes everything fresh that day. His name is Kyle and tell him you met his old man on The Boneyard. Plus, tell him to shave his stubbly beard. Don't tell him I said so. Bwhahaha. It is a great story but won't put anybody to sleep. I am very proud of him. His boss is one of the top chefs judges on the Food channel. Enough said.

P.S.- You have to take a left or right depending on your direction on Barnard Stree, take first left into ramp garage. Park and walk from there to the front.

Reaction Score
The only food place I can remember liking a ton was Zunzi's which is a fantastic sandwich shop and will be inundated with the artsy hipster scene Savannah is known for. I may be corny for liking this, but other than aimlessly wandering around the city over the course of days, the best way to see all the sights is to take a carriage tour. What I loved about the city was the amazing historical houses and the beautiful squares. A tour is a great way to get a good, basic understanding of the area.

Reaction Score
The only food place I can remember liking a ton was Zunzi's which is a fantastic sandwich shop and will be inundated with the artsy hipster scene Savannah is known for. I may be corny for liking this, but other than aimlessly wandering around the city over the course of days, the best way to see all the sights is to take a carriage tour. What I loved about the city was the amazing historical houses and the beautiful squares. A tour is a great way to get a good, basic understanding of the area.
Zunzi's chicken conquistador is one of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had. If you have a car go to Sweet Potatoes, best comfort food anywhere and cheap. The catfish BLT is awesome as is everything else on the menu, banana pudding dessert is so good. Drive to Tybee island, Crab shack along the way could be fun for the kids, they can feed the alligators. Tybee is a cool and funky beach town, Sundae Cafe is a great restaurant on the island. The ribeye steak dinner with flash fried oysters and blue cheese bread pudding is up there on my last meal list. There is an outdoor children's museum in Savannah that might be fun for the kiddos. I love everything about Savannah.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
My son and I went to Zunzis. Order from the sidewalk..lol. I forget what kind of sausage they cook. Sit outside. Nice. Food is great for a hole in the wall. Sometime the best places. I was there during thanksgiving visiting him. Also a place called Coaches Corner. Great sports bar. wall to wall tvs. We watched the giants. They have every game on. My son says that crime is on the increase in Savannah. Actually he is moving out of his place for more of the outskirt. Shame. His girlfriend lives on Tybee Island in a gated community. Across from her small mansion are other homes with their own private docks.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We were in Savannah last June and enjoyed the Florence so much we went back twice!

Another fantastic Savannah restaurant is the Grey. May be tough with kids but it has amazing history and is a wonderful place.
Thank you Baako, I will pass that along.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
A restaurant off the beaten path (have to drive through an RV park) is Sunset Grill. It is in a marina above the laundry, but is not a dive. Great views of sunsets, although the sun now sets around 5:15. During the summer months it's a very difficult reservation to get. Best shrimp and grits. Would be good for a family.

Interesting. I've stayed at that RV resort multiple times and never tried that restaurant. I'll have to give it a shot next time.

Reaction Score

It will be on the top of my list!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Interesting. I've stayed at that RV resort multiple times and never tried that restaurant. I'll have to give it a shot next time.
Which one did you stay at? Skidaway, or Skidway I forget.

Reaction Score
Zunzi's chicken conquistador is one of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had. If you have a car go to Sweet Potatoes, best comfort food anywhere and cheap. The catfish BLT is awesome as is everything else on the menu, banana pudding dessert is so good. Drive to Tybee island, Crab shack along the way could be fun for the kids, they can feed the alligators. Tybee is a cool and funky beach town, Sundae Cafe is a great restaurant on the island. The ribeye steak dinner with flash fried oysters and blue cheese bread pudding is up there on my last meal list. There is an outdoor children's museum in Savannah that might be fun for the kiddos. I love everything about Savannah.

Funky is a good way to describe Tybee. I had planned to visit North Beach Bar and Grill, as I had heard they had the best shrimp around -but it was closed. We ended up going to grab some pizza at Huca Poo's and was not dissapointed. A dive of all dive bars, but went during the day, extremely nice people and really good pies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We went to a restaurant on Hilton Head Island called Skull Creek and had a great time. It's young and a little funky.

Don't let your kids handle the stuff that hangs from the trees that they find on the ground, the tree moss. Small parasitic insects live in the stuff. It's nasty.

Spanish Moss & Chiggers

Reaction Score
My son and I went to Zunzis. Order from the sidewalk..lol. I forget what kind of sausage they cook. Sit outside. Nice. Food is great for a hole in the wall. Sometime the best places. I was there during thanksgiving visiting him. Also a place called Coaches Corner. Great sports bar. wall to wall tvs. We watched the giants. They have every game on. My son says that crime is on the increase in Savannah. Actually he is moving out of his place for more of the outskirt. Shame. His girlfriend lives on Tybee Island in a gated community. Across from her small mansion are other homes with their own private docks.
Is he dating Sandra Bullock?

Reaction Score
Thank you all. Has anyone gone on those plantation tours?
Toured Wormsloe Plantation and it didn't do much for me. The tree lined drive in is really nice. Not sure if kids would be into it but Savannah is all about taking the tours and enjoying the squares, architecture and history. I found the tour of the First African Baptist Church to be pretty powerful. Isle of Hope has a beautiful little section of waterfront homes on a tree lined street with Spanish Moss hanging everywhere. Beaufort and Blufton are also worth visiting for the day if you have time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Besides the already mentioned...

In Port Royal or in Bluffton check out a burger joint called Fat Patties. Their 50/50 beef/bacon burger and garlic parm fries are phenomenal. Their gelato is damn good too.

And if you have a chance to get shrimp grits anywhere in that area, do it.

Also, it's a been a few years, but I believe they still demonstrate making candy from scratch along several store fronts in Savannah. You can watch it from sugar being poured in to copper kettles to finished products. Kids love it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Its called Hilton Head RV Resort and Marina. Been 4 or 5 years since I've been there.
Ahh got it rick. I am planning on buying a Motor Home and looked up places to stay. In fact if I am not mistaken, it is a RV only. Beautiful place.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Besides the already mentioned...

In Port Royal or in Bluffton check out a burger joint called Fat Patties. Their 50/50 beef/bacon burger and garlic parm fries are phenomenal. Their gelato is damn good too.

And if you have a chance to get shrimp grits anywhere in that area, do it.

Also, it's a been a few years, but I believe they still demonstrate making candy from scratch along several store fronts in Savannah. You can watch it from sugar being poured in to copper kettles to finished products. Kids love it.

I'll second Fat Patties. Was there in September while visiting my parents who live on Dataw Island (near Beaufort, SC). Had awesome, unique chicken tacos. Excellent local craft beer list too. Should be on the road from HH to Savannah.

There is still hurricane damage down there. In general, I think the tours in Savannah are good. There are some that take you out to the Bonaventure cemetery, which I recommend. Look for Johnny Mercer's grave (it's a bench). I'd certainly try to go on one of the house tours. If either of your kids is a girl scout, Savannah is the birthplace of the Girl Scouts, and you can visit the original headquarters and the home of the founder Juliette Gordon Lowe.

HH has changed since my days going there for spring break. Used to be some great bars. The Old Post Office was a favorite, and "Pryme Tyme", which I think burned down.

Reaction Score
For seafood on HH go to Hudsons. The best. Go for lunch, same menu, cheaper. Not a fancy place, but the real deal.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Ahh got it rick. I am planning on buying a Motor Home and looked up places to stay. In fact if I am not mistaken, it is a RV only. Beautiful place.
We moved to the Midwest from Milford 26 years ago. No boating here to speak of, so we started camping. Have had 4 motor homes over the years and been to many great campgrounds and resorts. I'd be happy to help with any questions you may have, either about a coach or destinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom