OT Grills | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Grills

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m a propane guy. Don’t want to hear that charcoal is better, because it may be, but it’s too much of a pain for me to bother with it. I just don’t have that kind of time.

So I decided it’s time to replace my almost 15 year old Weber Genesis Silver B. It’s served me well over those years, and I’ve replaced several parts, flavorizer bars, ignitor and other things. But now the overall grill is just past it’s prime. Maybe I’ll bring it up to Vermont.

So what should replace it? The Weber Genesis II S-310 is the early leader, but I’m open to suggestions. I like that the burners are now side to side not front to back. That fixes my main complaint with the old one. Not sure if the extra $100 for stainless over enamel is well spent or not.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I had a Char-broil for about 7 years and it disintegrated before my eyes. Cleaned out the rusted firebox with a Shop-Vac every Spring. Didn't want to go near it, let alone cook on it the final two seasons.

Received a Weber Genesis for Father's Day about 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. If you go stainless steel grates, I'd recommend the cast iron Grillgrate to go on top. Stainless steel doesn't promote even cooking in the same way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Timely thread since my Weber burner tubes are shot. Corrosion or whatever ate thru the front tube so I've got a geyser of flame on left side of the grill. I've had the thing for 15+ years and while it looks its age, it still cooked great before the tubes got eaten away.

The tube assembly is only $45, which beats buying a new grill. Anyone ever replace one of those?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Timely thread since my Weber burner tubes are shot. Corrosion or whatever ate thru the front tube so I've got a geyser of flame on left side of the grill. I've had the thing for 15+ years and while it looks its age, it still cooked great before the tubes got eaten away.

The tube assembly is only $45, which beats buying a new grill. Anyone ever replace one of those?
Yes. Easy peasy, and I'm not the most handy guy in the world either. I had a question while doing it--I don't remember what--and I called their customer service and was initially bummed to hear an Indian accent because I figured he wouldn't be much help, but to my surprise the guy quickly assessed the situation and sent me an e-mail immediately with a PDF of updated instructions because others had apparently encountered the same issue. The grill worked fine for another seven years or so, but then the ash catcher tray thing rusted off and I didn't feel like jury-rigging that so I finally bought a new one. The old one was sitting on the side of the house awaiting a trip to the dump, but the next week my lawn guy asked me if he could have it if we were just throwing it away, and off it went--I'm sure still enjoying a useful life somewhere.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes. Easy peasy, and I'm not the most handy guy in the world either. I had a question while doing it--I don't remember what--and I called their customer service and was initially bummed to hear an Indian accent because I figured he wouldn't be much help, but to my surprise the guy quickly assessed the situation and sent me an e-mail immediately with a PDF of updated instructions because others had apparently encountered the same issue. The grill worked fine for another seven years or so, but then the ash catcher tray thing rusted off and I didn't feel like jury-rigging that so I finally bought a new one. The old one was sitting on the side of the house awaiting a trip to the dump, but the next week my lawn guy asked me if he could have it if we were just throwing it away, and off it went--I'm sure still enjoying a useful life somewhere.
Virtually every part is replaceable except the frame. I may only replace mine because I want front-to-back burner layout rather than the old 3 across set up.

Husky25

Reaction Score

It's on Youtube (Yes I was your Google Monkey, but don't know which video you'd want to follow.). Almost anything maintenance related of this nature is on Youtube. It's the first place I check for DIYs before getting outside help. You can find almost anything. I ripped the pull cord out of my snowblower earlier this winter YouTube showed me how to fix it.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's on Youtube (Yes I was your Google Monkey, but don't know which video you'd wan to follow.). Almost anything maintenance related of this nature is on Youtube. It's the first place I check for DIYs before getting outside help. You can find almost anything. I ripped the pull cord out of my snowblower earlier this winter YouTube showed me how to fix it.
I fixed my washing machine leak with a Youtube video, so anything is possible.

Well, almost anything. I was emboldened from the washer fix so I went straight for the Youtube videos when our dryer died a few months later. Once they mentioned needing a voltmeter I knew I was out of my depth.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I fixed my washing machine leak with a Youtube video, so anything is possible.

Well, almost anything. I was emboldened from the washer fix so I went straight for the Youtube videos when our dryer died a few months later. Once they mentioned needing a voltmeter I knew I was out of my depth.
I fixed my old dryer with a Youtube video. I needed to replace the drive belt. My washer currently smokes during the spin cycle. I checked YouTube and when I found out how involved the fix may (or may not. Won't know until it's opened) be, I called a guy. Getting it looked at on Friday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I fixed my old dryer with a Youtube video. I needed to replace the drive belt. My washer currently smokes during the spin cycle. I checked YouTube and when I found out how involved the fix may (or may not. Won't know until it's opened) be, I called a guy. Getting it looked at on Friday.
I went to the Sears outlet and got a new one. It was 15+ years old and I felt paying for a repair was throwing good money after bad.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's on Youtube (Yes I was your Google Monkey, but don't know which video you'd want to follow.). Almost anything maintenance related of this nature is on Youtube. It's the first place I check for DIYs before getting outside help. You can find almost anything. I ripped the pull cord out of my snowblower earlier this winter YouTube showed me how to fix it.

I asked here because it's a new problem and the thread was serendipitous. While somewhat handy (and some thanks to YT), I'm not all that comfortable working with anything related to gas. But I will now check over there.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I went to the Sears outlet and got a new one. It was 15+ years old and I felt paying for a repair was throwing good money after bad.
If it's an easy fix, I'll let him do it. Anything likely to cost me over a couple hundy and I'm off to Best Buy, or Home Depot, Or Lowes. One issue is that I prefer stackable units in the new house. There is precious little room in the mud/laundry room.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If it's an easy fix, I'll let him do it. Anything likely to cost me over a couple hundy and I'm off to Best Buy, or Home Depot, Or Lowes. One issue is that I prefer stackable units in the new house. There is precious little room in the mud/laundry room.
Yeah, mine wasn't working at all and I knew it was an electrical issue that was going to cost me a diagnostic fee on top of whatever they were able to do with it.

I'm a huge fan of the Sears outlets for scratch and dent appliances like washers and dryers, which are in the basement for us so we don't care about a few nicks. Also works well for a fridge if the dings are on the side and covered, which ours are. You save a ton off the price (often 40-50%) and get a full warranty; and I usually use the savings to buy the longest extended warranty they will sell me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, you can replace the parts. I did many times on mine. At some point though, you've got pealing paint and 15 years of accumulated wear and abuse. That's why I decided to just replace the damned thing. One of my concerns was that while the burners looked ok, I think the hoses and connections between the tank and burners were shot.

Reaction Score
I'm in a tough decision spot. Just finally moved from apartment living to my own place, and absolutely love to grill/smoke, but don't currently have one of my own. Budget is relatively tight due to said home purchase.

Everything I read says that a sub $500 grill will just disintegrate within a few years, and that the long term fiscally responsible move is to buy a more expensive model that will last 10+ years (like a Weber). We also have natural gas and there's a gas line relatively close to where my grill would be stationed (seems like it would be easy to run a pipe and make a quick connect fitting + hose for a grill on my back patio).

That leads me to want to maybe buy something cheap this summer, then save up for a nicer natural gas grill + installation in a couple years. But I'm planning to throw a few show off the house BBQs over the summer, and having a grill would be such a bummer. Maybe I just need to get over that and be more realistic. In that case, does anyone have any suggestions in the couple hundred dollar range? Or should I just go into debt over it lol.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm in a tough decision spot. Just finally moved from apartment living to my own place, and absolutely love to grill/smoke, but don't currently have one of my own. Budget is relatively tight due to said home purchase.

Everything I read says that a sub $500 grill will just disintegrate within a few years, and that the long term fiscally responsible move is to buy a more expensive model that will last 10+ years (like a Weber). We also have natural gas and there's a gas line relatively close to where my grill would be stationed (seems like it would be easy to run a pipe and make a quick connect fitting + hose for a grill on my back patio).

That leads me to want to maybe buy something cheap this summer, then save up for a nicer natural gas grill + installation in a couple years. But I'm planning to throw a few show off the house BBQs over the summer, and having a Shittu grill would be such a bummer. Maybe I just need to get over that and be more realistic. In that case, does anyone have any suggestions in the couple hundred dollar range? Or should I just go into debt over it lol.
3 burner Weber Spirit II E-310 is $450 as we speak and could be on sale during the Spring Holidays (Mother's, Memorial & Father's).

BTW I misspoke earlier. This is what I have. Not the Genesis. Still love it.

Reaction Score
3 burner Weber Spirit II E-310 is $450 as we speak and could be on sale during the Spring Holidays (Mother's, Memorial & Father's).

BTW I misspoke earlier. This is what I have. Not the Genesis. Still love it.

I guess the question is it worth getting that mid-tier (low Weber) choice or getting an even cheaper option then buying a more expensive model in a couple years. Is the Spirit good enough to not need to upgrade? Guess I could get the spirit and then a smoker in a couple years...

Husky25

Reaction Score
I guess the question is it worth getting that mid-tier (low Weber) choice or getting an even cheaper option then buying a more expensive model in a couple years. Is the Spirit good enough to not need to upgrade? Guess I could get the spirit and then a smoker in a couple years...
I think so. My Charbroil was a 4 burner box and a side burner, which I hardly ever used. I "downgraded" the size to 3 burners/no side, but upgraded the appliance. I feel I have better control. It's much easier for me to cook over indirect heat if need be with the 3 vs 4 burners, plus the Spirit comes with a cast iron skillet attachment.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was getting $600 from my fiancé’s grandparents towards a grill (because the other 900 of the $1500 allotted went towards a Dyson spaceship vacuum.) At that pricepoint you can get a ridiculous Char-Broil, DynaGlo, or another brand or a mid-level Weber. Everyone I talked to and everything I read said get a basic Weber at that price

Reaction Score
I was getting $600 from my fiancé’s grandparents towards a grill (because the other 900 of the $1500 allotted went towards a Dyson spaceship vacuum.) At that pricepoint you can get a ridiculous Char-Broil, DynaGlo, or another brand or a mid-level Weber. Everyone I talked to and everything I read said get a basic Weber at that price
Worth every penny. My wife for Father’s Day gave me a Kenmore stainless grill and I brought my 15 year old Weber to our beach cottage. Four years later the Weber is still going strong, while the Kenmore started to rust and rot, because not every piece is stainless. Needless to say, I got rid of the Kenmore and purchased a Weber for the House.

Reaction Score

That leads me to want to maybe buy something cheap this summer, then save up for a nicer natural gas grill + installation in a couple years. But I'm planning to throw a few show off the house BBQs over the summer, and having a Shittu grill would be such a bummer. Maybe I just need to get over that and be more realistic. In that case, does anyone have any suggestions in the couple hundred dollar range? Or should I just go into debt over it lol.
If your buying at Lowes or Home Depot grab a mover's packet at the post office. Comes with 10 % off coupon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Speaking of grills, my mother in law got me one of those grill brushes that you fill with water so you can steam clean a hot grill with it. Never would have bought it myself because it looked like a gimmicky ripoff, but I am now a total convert and highly recommend it. Just make sure you don't scrape too vigorously or stand too close, especially while wearing decent clothes, because it can splatter on you.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
OK. Ready to make a move. Does anyone know if I buy an electric smoker, can I also use it as a grill?
No they generate low heat. You can smoke and grill on a kamodo but even the knock-offs are pricey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom