OT: Grillmasters, How do you marinate and grill your ribs? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Grillmasters, How do you marinate and grill your ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tough ribs are the product of cooking them at too high a heat, not the length of time you cook them. I've found a cook temp of 235 to 250 degrees to be the sweet spot.

Ribs are technically done when their internal temperature is 145 degrees. Fat will not melt to make the ribs tender until the temperature gets to 190-203 degrees. Ribs under that temperature will not be tender. Ribs that greatly exceed that temperature will be card board like. In short, ribs will get tough when cooked at any temperature if the internal temperature of the ribs gets too high.

Reaction Score
Ribs are technically done when their internal temperature is 145 degrees. Fat will not melt to make the ribs tender until the temperature gets to 190-203 degrees. Ribs under that temperature will not be tender. Ribs that greatly exceed that temperature will be card board like. In short, ribs will get tough when cooked at any temperature if the internal temperature of the ribs gets too high.

I think we are saying the same thing. Who can get a thermometer into ribs to accurately measure the internal temperature? You cook ribs to appropriate doneness by controlling the temperature inside the smoker.

Reaction Score
I love to grill ribs (on charcoal) and they taste pretty good. I think the sauce though is masking the true taste, meaning I probably could cook them better.

Some of you I know can grill some mean pork ribs. The pressure is on me Monday as I got a few peeps coming over to the house. I'd like to try something better than boiling them, sitting in sauce (marinating), seasoning and chilling before grilling.

What BBQ Sauce you use and rub?

I'll entertain chicken and steak grilling recipes also as those are on deck Monday too.
I use a dry rub- 4T paprika,2T garlic powder,2T onion powder,1T pepper,1T salt,2T chili powder,2T cumin. I apply and refrigerate the ribs for 24 hours. I use charcoal and wood. I soak the wood chips for a few hours. I place a layer of unlit coals on one side of the grill. I then place 3/4 full chimney of lit coals on top of those. I then place 4 handsful of wood on top of that. Make sure to place a drip pan on the side with no coals to catch the fat. I place some of the water from the wood in the pan. Replace the grill top,place the ribs on the side with no coals and close the top. I usually have the bottom and top vents open 1/2 way. I turn the ribs every 45 minutes. If using baby back or St. Louis ribs, they usually take about three hours. I don't apply sauce until they are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom